“The love of Hawaii”

Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 September 2017

Our first visit to Hawaii started at this hotel and was amazing. The staff made our experience much more enjoyable and educated on the culture and history it brings and maintains. The rooms had a bit musty smell from the humidity that lingered but the scenery was breathtaking.

Room Tip: Request a floor that is higher to get a good view as we couldn't see much on ground floor. Make...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,699)

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton at Keauhou Bay. We loved our experience here.
The property is gorgeous. The pool is large and beautiful. The views of the ocean, hillside, lava rocks, and traditional Hawaiian village are stunning as well. The staff is very welcoming and the customer service is excellent. We enjoyed breakfast at Rays by the Bay very much and saw some dolphins jump out of the water.
Of particular note was our cultural experience with Rolinda Bean. She has an amazing wisdom as well as authentic knowledge of the Hawaiian culture. We attended her Beginners Hula class which was very interesting. I leaned that Hula was traditionally done by men as well as women so I felt much more comfortable participating and I'm glad I'd did.
We also did the beginners Ukulele which was fun and packed with great information.
Another experience was the Historic Keauhou Bay land tour also lead by Rolinda. We loved it! In fact; it was a highlight of our trip!
It is amazing to be able to enjoy the luxury of a resort and also have these cultural experiences so accessible!
Definitely go! You won't regret it!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Just like a lot of people are saying on here, this hotel is very old and needs a facelift. It's such a thin wall! We could hear people next door talk very clearly! I heard from a front desk person that they are starting a renovation so hopefully they hotel gets better.

Everyone working there were very nice and friendly. Even the bartenders at the pool bar (I have read they are not nice and service was super slow) were nice! Lol
The only person that was rude to me was this elder lady at th concierge. She had no intention to help me when I stopped by the desk after receiving a voicemail from the concierge. I didn't catch her name unfortunately, but she was straight up RUDE.

Other than that, I had a good stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Takako C
Reviewed 20 September 2017

The Sheraton in Kona was pretty bad! We went 4 nights without hot water. The first night we complained and they said they'd send a repairman. Next night, still no hot water...
we finally got moved to another room and it was fine until the last night when the hot water failed to work again! The knocked 3 nights resort fee off but that doesn't seem like a fair deal. This is supposedly a 4 star resort. Even a dirty little motel 6 has hot water!
You will also pay an extra 47/day for parking and resort fees. Outrageous.
Rays by the Bay is a beautiful restaurant but the service was terrible and the food was worse. We waited an hour and it was cold. $18 for a cold burger is sad.
The spa never returned my call though I gave both my hone and room #. I mean really, what is going on here? We gave this place every opportunity to wow us.
We were woken up one morning by a tsunami alarm at 6 am. I called the front desk to see if we should evacuate and they said it was a mistake. WTF? Rugs are stained from roof leaks, and the deck had some minor flooding due to poor drainage.
This place needs such a facelift. I had ladies barging into our room to deliver magazines. Really. The front desk dude when we first checked in offered to waive our parking fees when we said we were there on our honeymoon.
How nice. Except that when we went to pay our bill at the end not even 1 day of parking was waived. I had the embarrassing task of having to ask that the fees be removed and that some compensation be given for almost half of our stay lacking very basic hot water. Now, I see that I was charged for someone elses dinner.
I am trying to get them to reverse that charge but no one will call me back after nearly a week.

It seems that management responds to these reviews. I would really like to get something other than the canned responses that I have seen. I would like an explanation as to why no one has called me back after trying to reach you about incorrect charges for nearly a week

Room Tip: Book elsewhere. If you are gonna shell out what this place costs just go up the road and stay at one...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
01469sheratonkon2017, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Aloha Tammy F,
We truly apologize about your experience you had with us at the Sheraton Kona. We strive to exceed each of our guests expectations and apologize we were unable to create a memorable experience. We have sent you a private message and look forward to being of service.

Mahalo,

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

This resort has an amazing pool, extensive garden area and great look outs / relaxing areas. The restaurant has good food and one can see the mantas from there in the evening. The fitness center is well-equipped. We also enjoyed Hawaiian language course and ukulele course with Rolonda, which were very interesting. and fun. The lounge, however, often ran out of food and drinks (water, coffee...).

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
9.7 km away
41.7 km away
Hilton Waikoloa Village
45.1 km away
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!