3,048 results
All reviews rays on the bay manta ray bay restaurant keauhou bay the big island self parking a mountain view room free trolley ocean front breakfast buffet coffee shop great pool poolside bar pool staff pool side oceanfront room bit dated
Reviewed 6 February 2017 via mobile

I have reviewed 40+ hotels on this site, this is not actually the worst hotel I have stayed at but it is by far the most woeful value. A glance at my record will show that I'm not in the habit of giving poor reviews; what follows is a poor review. I cannot begin to explain cogently how profoundly disappointing this establishment is, these are my inadequate words. I can produce a litany of poor practice and errors, and I will start with pointing out that we chose this hotel deliberately to be the venue for our last night on the island because we were interested in the Manta Rays.

We arrived and in my English naivety I followed the signs to self parking. I found this was about 200 yards from the hotel, and eventually I discovered that reception was on the second floor and I was two floors down. It then took us some time to find an elevator. The one good part of the day was that we were given a complimentary upgrade to a partial ocean view, the downside is that we got a tremendous amount of noise from the pool area during the afternoon. The place is a maze, the corridor channelled the outside noise, I dislike even the geography! I also think it was, shall we say, unprofessional for the check in clerk to answer the phone whilst dealing with me.

On checking in we were told there was a resort charge of $30 - I sort of assumed that the details of what this provided would be in the room but it isn’t. So I have to go back to reception to ask what I’ve paid for – in fact I’m leaving tomorrow so I don’t care anymore. They did give me a map of the site along with dining details - many of which are out of date! The leaflet talks of a place called Ainakai for breakfast, but this is not now shown on their website. And when you do find it it appears to be closed! Breakfast is now apparently available at Rays on the Bay but there are no menus. We have decided to leave early and get breakfast on the road, I begrudge giving this shonky operation any more of my money.

You may be amused to note that in trying to resolve some of my questions I pressed the “guest services” button on my room telephone, and was connected to the Internet service provider’s help desk!

So we were here on a Sunday, the presentation on the Manta Rays doesn’t take place on a Sunday, but that’s not mentioned on the website. We had booked a table at Rays on the Bay to apparently look at them over dinner, but the menu we were offered is different to the menu provided on their website and it’s also even different to the menu on the wall outside the restaurant…. What we wanted was no longer being served so we left and went elsewhere. I asked at reception on my way out if my parking ticket needed validating to let me out of the car park, “no, your room key will let you in and out” I declared that I was truly grateful for that insight and it was a shame it had not been communicated to me before. When we got back in we walked along the shore front of the hotel – given the ambient light and the dive boats working well away from the shore my judgment would be simple “don’t waste your cash expecting to see rays, the science is against you, you might get lucky once in a while”

Complacency rules here, there is an assumption that everyone knows how the place works - they don’t. This is frankly a poor excuse for a venue and I have been better treated, made more welcome and had better facilities for much less in lots and lots of places. My advice – go elsewhere.

PS I was concerned to note that the hotel lies within a tsunami evacuation zone but there is no information provided about alarms or what to do if a warning is received. As this review is posted you will know I survived the night - I get the feeling that Sheraton couldn't care less if I did or didn't.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PMQuestions
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2017

Aloha,

We sincerely apologize for the challenges that you experienced during your recent stay and have shared this with our management team. We strive in providing exceptional customer service and have fallen short in doing so. We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us so that we may improve our guest services. I would love the opportunity to connect with you and can be reached here at the hotel by phone.

Thank you again for your review. Mahalo nui loa

Reviewed 6 February 2017

After reading some questionable reviews after we booked this hotel, we were a little nervous. We are pleased to say that we loved this hotel. We had an ocean front room that overlooked the pool (beautiful sunsets). The room was very nice....clean with nice furniture. Sure, the bathrooms probably need to be remodeled, but they were still nice. The grounds are very beautiful and we enjoyed renting a cabana by the pool on our last day. The restaurant food was just ok, but the ambiance is fabulous! I suggest going for drinks, but don't have high expectations with the food. We would definitley stay here again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Ocean view (not overlooking the pool) for a quieter setting
Reviewed 5 February 2017

The resort is very nice, We went in June 2016 and enjoyed it so much we went back January 2017. The biggest change was the food. The breakfast buffet used to be much better. The price had gone up from 2016 and the selection had gone down; not worth the price now but you don,t have a lot of choice unless you have a car its a long walk to find other eating places

Reviewed 4 February 2017

Not even a Newspaper yet in a Suite with 2 rooms and paying over 500 dollars per night ! REALLY ! In my opinion, PITIFUL ! I went and asked for one and they sorry, only the Platinum level guests get one! Again, REALLY ! Also, we had mentioned in our reservation this was a very special vacation to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary AND my wife's' BIRTHDAY! Not EVEN a card, bottle of wine, fruit, or any VERBAL mention of it ! NADA, NUNCA, ZIP, NOTHING! Again, pretty pitiful for staying 4 nights in a 2 room SUITE @ over 500 dollars per night! : ( We did not like the layout of pool when we had to walk all the way around to get your towels. You had to sign your life away to GET TOWELS AND then bring them back so you would not be BILLED for them! Also, not being allowed to bring any of your own food and drink we thought was a little TOO MUCH. We suggest they have more umbrellas by the ocean swimming pool, too. ONE BRIGHT SPOT was the " LOUNGE " access if you had a suite or upgraded to add it to certain rooms. It was available for breakfast 7-9am and 5-7pm . That was VERY GOOD! Also, would like to give a GREAT SHOUT OUT to " JACKIE- the telephone operator" who gave us great directions while we were lost trying to find the hotel. THANKS, JACKIE ! Brad James & Ann Belarmino-James

Room Tip: The suites did overlook the ocean
2  Thank Brad J
Management response:Responded 5 February 2017

Aloha Brad J,
Mahalo for staying with us at the Sheraton Kona and choosing us on your special. We are thrilled Jackie took such good care of you, she will be so happy to hear it. We truly apologize for not recognizing you on your special dates! We strive to exceed each of our guests expectations and we missed the mark. we have spoken to our team to ensure we are properly celebrating each of our guests celebrations. Mahalo for your feedback and hopefully we can be your home away from home in the near future.

Mahalo!

Reviewed 3 February 2017 via mobile

This is a very dated looking hotel with long concrete corridors and industrial carpets but the room was nice- big and comfortable although the balcony is very 70's council flat.

The staff are helpful and there is an excellent concierge service - Gary really knows his stuff and all his recommendations were excellent.

The lack of beach access and high surf meant we were glad only to be staying 2 nights. But it has great views, a good pool ( nice lunch) free shuttle to beach etc.. and is across road from Kona golf and country club which is immaculate. Also a Starbucks on site which they need as breakfast offering is poor. Laundry service was advertised in rooms but not available.

Rays on the Bay for dinner twice was the highlight with very good food and service and dramatic waves and surged literally into the restaurant. Sadly the surf was so high impossible to see the mantas which it is famous for - and my manta dive was cancelled - boohoo. I did have a good morning snorkelling and watching turtles on my own from the rocks at nearby beach. It was manned by very helpful volunteers and there is a van to store valuables for $5.

A good stay but hotel is dated and tired and breakfast is poor.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple