Review Highlights
Catch of a lifetime!

Had a great time out on the Lepika on May 23rd! Captain Russ runs a tight ship- we had a full... read more

Reviewed 25 May 2018
budiha52
San Francisco, California
via mobile
Great Trip on the Lepika!

Went out with Captain Russ on May 19th with my buddy Eddie and our wives. Talk about a great trip... read more

Reviewed 22 May 2018
D478QEandrewt
Annapolis, MD
via mobile

All reviews captain russ ahi blue marlin fishing techniques great captain great trip day trip fishing experience the big island porpoises trolling lures lbs spearfish fished bite nosed
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Russ took us out on July 20th for a full day trip. My family of five, including my wife and daughter, went on the trip and he was courteous throughout. While we all had jetlag and dramamine induced drowsiness, causing us to sleep through part of the trip, Russ kept after the fish. My youngest son ended up with a nice short-nosed spearfish and my oldest son got a 300 pound blue marlin. It was the highlight of our vacation. Thanks, Russ, for making this a successful and enjoyable trip. We'd definitely hire the same captain again.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

Had a stellar time on the water with Russ. And I am not just saying that because we caught a lot of fish. I did a solo trip as everyone else in my party dropped out and we had a whirlwind adventure going from chill conversation to screaming drags. Landed an (estimated) 300lb black Marlin in the first few minutes (released) then Proceeded to score three sweet Ahi and a wahoo just for fun. Saw whales, countless porpoises and all kinds of scenery. Boat is spotless and uber efficient. Russ has a system that keeps you on the set - always be fishing. I am in awe of how clean and razor tight he runs his boat. Caught one tuna that was ravaged by sharks on the way in (one star!) which was unfortunate but super cool. One thing to note is Russ practices a variety of fishing techniques - green stick and trolling - which keeps things more interesting. Green sticking is very effective it seems and he has it down pat. Highly recommended. Fish on.

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank rscimagery
Reviewed 14 January 2016

We were recommended to go with Russ by a local friend from Kona. Although we didn't get to reel up a fish, Russ worked super hard and tried everything he could to catch us something. His boat was super comfortable, super clean and we would definitely go with him again!

Date of experience: January 2016
1  Thank O9839OWandreat
Reviewed 19 October 2015 via mobile

I chose to fish with Russ based on review on trip advisor...all the positive comments are spot on.

Russ works super hard to find you fish and uses multiple techniques including trolling, live baiting and green sticking.

We started off catching live bait which was a bit of fun.

Filled up the live bait tank and then began trolling. Russ got me onto a blue marlin that took out a tonne of line before losing it. A big adrenalin rush although didnt catch it.

A couple of hours later russ found us a massive school of dolphins..was an amazing sight. We started live baiting with little luck. Russ changed to green sticking and bang we are onto a yellow fin tuna. I manage to reel it in and im over the moon.
Was close to 110lbs.

Although we didnt catch a large number of fish it was a great experience and wasnt due to lack of effort and knowledge from the captain.

If i return to kona i would fish with Russ again without hesitation.

Date of experience: October 2015
1  Thank Kenny G
Reviewed 19 August 2015

My Father and I fished with Russ once before in 2013 and he found us some really nice fish. This time however we struck gold! We fished with Russ for three days during the last week of July (2015) and caught ten Ahi (Yellowfin Tuna). The first day we caught five and they weighed anywhere from 104 to 127 pounds. Russ also found my first two Blue Marlin and one REALLY big and powerful shark that Russ wasn't all that happy to have us tangle with. But it was a fun battle before he cut it loose at the boat. The Marlin were on the second and the third day Along with these we caught Mahi-Mahi and Ono (Wahoo) which I grilled because Ono is fantastic grilled.

We had this kind of experience while most of the boats around us caught just a few fish. The exception was the single GIANT (1368 lb) Marlin brought in by a small boat on the same day and in the same area I got my first Marlin. It was all over the news too. But we were the one's with the most fish each day due to Russ's hard work and skill in finding fish.

You cannot go wrong with Lepika. Russ is as skilled a captain and fishing guide as you'll find. His boat is designed for fishing and specifically for fishing in the Hawaiin Islands. If you have a choice my advice is to choose Lepika because the chances are very good that it'll be Russ that not only finds the fish but gets the fish on the boat. Unless of course it's a Marlin. With Russ you'll most likely get it in but he's great about catch and release. Which on most occassions is the best way to deal with Marlin. Then you can release it. I was fortunate enough to get TWO Blue Marlin. Just make sure you get some pictures or videos.

Date of experience: July 2015