“Russ is a great guide-”

Lepika Sportfishing
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I have fished with Russ twice- first time caught a blue marlin- took about an hour to get her to the boat- tagged and released- crazy exciting- I have fished all over the western US and that was an amazing experience- second time we hooked into a spearfish- very rare item and my friend had never caught anything that big- Russ was fun to talk to, informative and put us on fish both times. I will call Russ every time I want to fish off Kona.

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"bite"
"nosed"

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Russ took us out on July 20th for a full day trip. My family of five, including my wife and daughter, went on the trip and he was courteous throughout. While we all had jetlag and dramamine induced drowsiness, causing us to sleep through part of the trip, Russ kept after the fish. My youngest son ended up with a nice short-nosed spearfish and my oldest son got a 300 pound blue marlin. It was the highlight of our vacation. Thanks, Russ, for making this a successful and enjoyable trip. We'd definitely hire the same captain again.

Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

Had a stellar time on the water with Russ. And I am not just saying that because we caught a lot of fish. I did a solo trip as everyone else in my party dropped out and we had a whirlwind adventure going from chill conversation to screaming drags. Landed an (estimated) 300lb black Marlin in the first few minutes (released) then Proceeded to score three sweet Ahi and a wahoo just for fun. Saw whales, countless porpoises and all kinds of scenery. Boat is spotless and uber efficient. Russ has a system that keeps you on the set - always be fishing. I am in awe of how clean and razor tight he runs his boat. Caught one tuna that was ravaged by sharks on the way in (one star!) which was unfortunate but super cool. One thing to note is Russ practices a variety of fishing techniques - green stick and trolling - which keeps things more interesting. Green sticking is very effective it seems and he has it down pat. Highly recommended. Fish on.

1  Thank rscimagery
Reviewed 14 January 2016

We were recommended to go with Russ by a local friend from Kona. Although we didn't get to reel up a fish, Russ worked super hard and tried everything he could to catch us something. His boat was super comfortable, super clean and we would definitely go with him again!

1  Thank O9839OWandreat
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 October 2015 via mobile

I chose to fish with Russ based on review on trip advisor...all the positive comments are spot on.

Russ works super hard to find you fish and uses multiple techniques including trolling, live baiting and green sticking.

We started off catching live bait which was a bit of fun.

Filled up the live bait tank and then began trolling. Russ got me onto a blue marlin that took out a tonne of line before losing it. A big adrenalin rush although didnt catch it.

A couple of hours later russ found us a massive school of dolphins..was an amazing sight. We started live baiting with little luck. Russ changed to green sticking and bang we are onto a yellow fin tuna. I manage to reel it in and im over the moon.
Was close to 110lbs.

Although we didnt catch a large number of fish it was a great experience and wasnt due to lack of effort and knowledge from the captain.

If i return to kona i would fish with Russ again without hesitation.

1  Thank Kenny G