Amazing, perfect for us, and definitely under marketed. We just finished an 8 day stay in this unit and here are our thoughts. This unit’s advertising comes across as just a plain jane 2 BR condo (nice ocean front) but . . . it is MUCH more than that!
• Breeze coming through – The atmosphere this created was magical. Also, a HUGE help due to no A/C in these buildings. (We rented 2 other units in the same building and they did NOT catch the breeze and were uncomfortably warm and felt “dead”.
• Balcony view – spectacular – we saw a significant number of active whales and dolphins 7 out of the 9 days we were there! What a special treat to be dining, drinking your coffee or wine and see whales breach and dolphins spin!
• Soft carpet & pads in the living & bed rooms creating a feeling of luxurious welcome.
• Mattresses: Were of high quality and VERY comfortable. (Often overlooked, but VERY important)
• Kitchen was stocked with an amazing variety of things needed for an extended stay
o Significant number of spices, saran wrap, tin foil, a few baggies, dish soap, dish washer soap, a starter laundry soap, and plenty of pots, pans, kettles, and utensils. Thanks for a 4 place toaster!
• Coffee maker was high end – thank you for having coffee filters on hand
• The couches & living room chairs were comfortable and plentiful. Looked nice, but were not so fancy we felt uncomfortable lounging on them.
• There were an amazing number of items stocked in the unit that were never mentioned in the listing that made a HUGE difference: I assume some of these were left by other renters, but still, it was wonderful!
o 6 Boogie boards were in the closet - 4 adult size and 2 child size
o 6-8 beach chairs + beach umbrella’s and a shade tent
o Lots of beach towels
o Lots of sand toys for kids
o 3 ice chests + “Blue Ice” (talk about saving the landfills from throwaway Styrofoam ones!)
o An Ice maker (vs ice cube trays! ! !) – Several metal and plastic water bottles!
o High quality towels for both bathrooms (thank you!)
o 2 portable Fans for when the breeze was not blowing (saved me when I had to blow my hair dry in the bathroom I could stay cool) Exhaust fan is very wimpy, so helped keep the bathroom dry.
o A delightful supply of Hawaii books, including the best one “Hawaii, The Big Island Revealed”! A very nice touch.
o It might sound weird, but we loved there were so many small baskets in the house, we used them for all manner of things to help us stay organized!
What we would like to see changed: (Though definitely not deal breakers!)
• Table and deck chairs were higher. We ended up standing on the deck more than sitting because the chairs put you just below the railing. It would be really cool to have a higher table and 4 higher chairs + 3-4 bar stools. These could then double for bar stools inside. We saw other units with low chairs and folks would stack them up and sit on top of 2 chairs. These did not lend themselves to this option.
• Water filter on the kitchen sink or “Brita” type pitcher. Tap water tasted terrible and we do not like buying plastic bottles of water.
• It would have been nice to have a coffee grinder. (After all it is Kona!) We just had ours ground.
• It could have been a bit cleaner when we got there. We took all the dishes out of the cupboard and washed them, wiped down all the shelves. They were quite grody. We did not clean the rims of the couches and chairs. They had a significant layer of dust on them. However, most of the “visible” surfaces were clean, except the glass dining room table top. Bedrooms and bathrooms felt clean.
We were committed to 2 other units in this complex, so when we needed a 3rd, I had no choice. I dithered between many units there. Had I known all of the extras included I would have booked it immediately without hesitation. They need to set themselves apart better. Think of the savings, not having to rent, buy or just do without the extra stuff in the closets! Needless to say we had a fabulous stay and no one wanted to come home!