Open today: 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
Review Highlights
incredible from beginning to end

My husband and I booked a private, 2 hour tour with Mauna Loa. Helen and Eric were terrific... read more

Reviewed 27 October 2018
BarbaraHRockwell
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Fantastic

I have taken for helicopter rides with this company and every one of them have been spectacular. I... read more

Reviewed 22 October 2018
vanblarson
Fargo, North Dakota

Recommended experiences in and around Kailua-Kona
from USD 127.52
from USD 559.00
from USD 122.95
from USD 106.01
More Info
All reviews great pilot island tour lava flowing active volcano private tour big island pretty windy foot waterfalls absolute highlight beautiful coastline jaw dropping national park bucket list window seat weather conditions wonderful tour awesome experience
Reviewed 4 April 2018

This was a private helicopter tour for my family of three. The purpose: to see flowing lava! This was my husbands only wish and reason we came to the big island.... No pressure (wink wink). Of course, there is no guarantee flowing lava would be visible, however, this was made clear prior to lift off, with the option to fly another day if we so chose. We very much appreciated the up front and honest information. Upon arrival we were greeted by Helen ( her hawaiin name is its own great story). She was so inviting, she made us feel like fast friends. She went out of her way to make our time on the island the best it could be completely aside from this tour. Ben was our pilot, who was exceptional, friendly and knowledgeable. He made us feel at ease and ready to go on our bucket list excursion with or without lava flow. The flight did not disappoint: we saw the island and all its beauty, lava included. I couldn't have asked for a better flight, or crew. These people got it right. I give them 5 stars because they deserve it from beginning to end! Thank you

Date of experience: April 2018
Helen R, Front Office Assistant / Greeter at Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Aloha!

It was my absolute pleasure to have your Ohana (family) join us for a breathtaking Full Island tour! We were so thrilled that Tutu Pele was able to give you a show and your husband's bucket list item could be checked off. Having guests come to this beautiful island I've had the pleasure of growing up on, I take it personal to share the Aloha Spirit to all visitors. Many guests dream their entire lives of visiting Hawaii, so I want to be sure it's the best experience possible I can give them.

Thank you so much for your amazing review, we sincerely appreciate it your kind words.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

Taking a private helicopter tour is not the cheapest excursion you can do in Hawaii, but if there are only 3 of you , the cost per person is not bad. The experience is priceless. Go where you want to go, see what you want to see. We took a 2 our tour and covered almost the entire big island including a lingering stay above active lava flows. We saved ourselves a trip way out to green beach that would have taken an entire day of our vacation away in travel. How about flying into a dead end canyon and hovering with 3 1000 foot waterfalls surrounding you! WOW. They also have an option to fly with doors off. I which my wife would have allowed this. Although we would have gotten wet from a brief rain we flew through, our pictures would have been much better. Remember the plexiglass windows on any helicopter have horrible glares that are very hard to avoid.

Date of experience: March 2018
Helen R, Front Office Assistant / Greeter at Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Aloha!

It was an absolute pleasure having all of you join us for a tour! Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a great review, we really appreciate it!

Private Helicopter tours are the best and can only be found at Mauna Loa Helicopters. What an amazing flight you had...seeing the one-of-a-kind green sand beach, active lava and the breathtaking waterfalls of the Kohala Mountains! What amazing memories to cherish.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

We booked the doors off waterfall tour and do not regret it. Doors off is a must. Made for great views and pictures. The staff was great with answering questions before booking. When we arrived, Helen greeted us and explained the flight and everything to expect. Ben was our pilot and he did an amazing job sharing facts and history about the island. He was also very accommodating throughout the flight, making sure we both were able to get great views... he even helped us spot some whales! I had concerns about motion sickness but Helen and Ben were great about making sure this did not occur. Luckily it did not. Glad we spent the extra money to have a private flight with Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours as opposed to booking with other companies in the area that did not have that option. We did this tour at the end of our trip to the Big Island and afterwards wished we would have done it earlier as they gave great tips and recommendations for places to check out. Best experience of our trip. Worth every penny.

Date of experience: March 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words and taking the time to give us an amazing review!

It was such a joy to meet you and share this amazing island and her breathtaking sights with you. Private Helicopter tours are the best way to fly and can only be found at Mauna Loa Helicopters. I'm happy to hear the recommendations came in handy, sorry you didn't have enough time to check them all out.

Reviewed 11 March 2018

We took the longer helicopter tour, 2-2-1/2 hours. We were not rushed and it ran about 2 hours, 20minutes. Our pilot was easy going and maneuvered wherever we needed to go for the view. He was very knowledgeable about the island.
The Rangers did not allow a Park flyover access for the day we took the tour but we flew very close and saw huge areas of steam and several rivulets of lava flowing down the mountain slopes. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: February 2018
Helen R, Front Office Assistant / Greeter at Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Aloha!

Thank you for your kind words about your Full Island tour on the beautiful Big Island. We are so happy you enjoyed your flight and got to see some Lava. What a memorable trip to cherish always.

The Mauna Loa Helicopters Tour Team

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

This was my bucket list and Ben our pilot did an amazing job.I so appreciate Helen who set my dream up .Highly recommended this flight seeing red hot lava, the whole island and to top it off whales what an excellent experience

Date of experience: March 2018
Helen R, Front Office Assistant / Greeter at Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Aloha!

Thank you so much for your kind words, Ben really enjoyed flying with you and I'm happy I could help set up your tour with Mauna Loa Helicopters. It was such a joy sharing the breathtaking sights of the Big Island. I'm glad the request for Lava was granted and you were able to check this off your bucket list.

Mahalo for the review!