“Super wine!”

Shestaka Wine Cellar
Ranked #4 of 5 things to do in Melnik
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We were on a trip in Melnik and before we left the town we tried and bought, my husband chose dry, and I chose their semi-dry wine. Their wine is rich and dense and can tell long stories ... especially when you try it if you are sitting in front of the cellar of Shestaka and enjoying the view of the nature around the town of Melnik.

All reviews
"bulgaria"
"terrace"
"atmosphere"

Reviewed 12 November 2017

I have been visiting Shestaka Wine Cellar with my foreign guests for years know and I know that the owner is an acquired taste. People often perceive him as rude, but the simple fact is that he is just a little strange and once you actually take the time to converse with him (although in a very broken English), you get to appreciate his pride and passion for winemaking.
Here are the reasons why I always go back there and will continue to do so:
- you taste wine only from traditional Bulgarian grape varieties. I know it's not for everyone, but it is worth the experience and expanding your horizon. Also, one has to know that at Shestaka you get to taste only young wine from the previous season. His wine does not age well
- this family has been making wine for 6 entire generations, without changing their methods and they intend to continue doing so, which is such a rarity nowadays not only in Bulgaria but allover the world
- he certainly has the best local meat and cheese tray in the entire town. Everything is from local producers in the area and is handpicked by the owner - so order some with your wine!
- the atmosphere of the cellar and the view from the terrace are simply great

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

The cave is very interesting and has quite an ambient. It really feels like going back in time. The owner speaks on how he tries to keep the tradition and it indeed feels like it.
The wine is OK, a matter of taste, keep in mind it's a rustic experience and so is the taste.
My kids enjoyed the feeling of going back in time while we enjoyed a nice snack and drink.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 August 2017

The owner wasn't too friendly when we first arrived, but warmed up to us once he saw we wanted to buy some of his wine, not only taste it. The cellar is original and quaint. Definitely worth the climb up the steep hill.