“Attention to detail is second to none!”
Review of Hotel Montjola

Hotel Montjola
London
“Attention to detail is second to none!”
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I have just returned from a really fabulous week at the Montjola. It's a lovely, small, authentic Austrain family run hotel. It's quiet, relaxing and tasteful, and attracts a nice mixture of quite civilized, international guests. The family who run the hotel set themselves very high standards and their attention to detail is really what impressed me - the relaxation suite (very clean and lovely), chocolates on pillows, excellent dinner service etc. It's not bold, brassy, or super-modern, but it's far less bland than what we business travellers might be used to!

Montjola's just outside the main square/roundabout in St Anton - about a 10-12 minute walk up a hill. This means you're near enough to the action, but far enough away not to be woken up by drunk, noisy people! It concerned me that someone's review complains about Montjola being up a "huge hill"... we managed it without complaint, every day, after a day's skiing... people go to St Anton for mountainsports, after all - a little walk up the occasional hill is all part of it! (and it's a pretty walk down the hill in the morning...)

Other good things to say about Montjola are food (which is GREAT) and service. They run a little shuttle to the ski lifts every morning and evening (so you don't actually have to walk up or down that hill, at all!) - we even asked if we could go 30mins early one day, so we could go on a ski tour, and they kindly obliged, very willingly. Equally, when we requested a particular cheese we had enjoyed earlier in the week, they brought us out a brand new one - no charge, no fuss ... it's little things like this which will make certain we return...

Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
England
Reviewed 6 September 2009

We spent 11 nights at the Montjola in August staying on a half board basis.

Our room was comfortable, had a small balcony and two comfy chairs.
Breakfast was good - the usual European offerings of cheese and cooked meat, plus cereals, muesli, yoghurt, fresh fruit and a very good selection of breads and brioche. There was also bacon and scrambled egg twice a week.
Dinner was four courses - salad buffet, soup, main course (choice of two) and dessert (choice of two). The food was varied and to a high standard and the service was always friendly and efficient.
The hotel provides a walking guide on Monday to Friday and the walks range from fairly easy (about 400m vertical) to quite demanding (1000m vertical). Use is made of local buses, cable cars and even trains to give different itineraries each week - great if you are staying for more than 1 week. The guide is a local Austrian lady, but with excellent English, and it was a pleasure walking with Dutch, Belgian, German etc fellow guests and enjoying lunches at the mountain huts plus post-walk drinks with the other walkers.

The hotel is up a fairly steep hill from the town - a bit of a slog at the end of the day, and not so good if you find steep hills a bit taxing, but all the other benefits more than outweighed this for us.

If we were to return to St Anton we would certainly use the Montjola - many of the other guests were repeat visitors

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brit_abroad_7
Damascus, Maryland
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Let me start by saying that I am a very particular traveler.
I stayed at the Hotel Montjola for four nights (arrived during a snow dump). The room, the meals, and the customer service were impeccable. I took a cab from the train station (arrived earlier than planned). The property was disappointed that I had not called them for a ride. On the day of arrival, they pointed me in the right direction for ski rentals, ski storage, and lift tickets. Dinner included a choice of entrees, including a vegetarian entrée. Breakfast was the typical European and American fare. Meal times allowed for plenty of flexibility. The restaurant experience was EXCELLENT
The hotel-operated ski shuttle was very flexible. It dropped me at the main ski area, at my convenience, each morning and picked me up each afternoon. When you return each afternoon, there are tea and pastries waiting in the lobby for you.
I can’t say enough about the staff. I was always greeted and asked about my day. All of them were very knowledgeable about the geographic area, ski areas, and nightlife, and they were all very willing to answer my questions.
The property has a sauna and a steam room (including a shower) – very new and very clean. I had never experienced either one before this trip, but they were certainly relaxing. I think that I saw a tanning bed there also. The sauna and steam room are equipped with cold drinks, towels, etc.
The only negative item that I can possibly note about the Hotel Montjola is that the wireless Internet access in my room was sporadic. You really need to take your notebook to the lobby and work from there. However, the lobby is a very social place and can be distracting. Of course, one might say that you shouldn’t need to use a notebook while on vacation.
Some tips for fellow travelers:
Your lift ticket can be purchased at the hotel – very convenient.
The staff will point you in the right direction for ski rentals.
The ski storage location is literally right next to the main gondola.
The hotel bar has a wide variety and is reasonably priced by European standards.
Tipping was problematic – no one wanted to talk about it, but everyone deserved it. After extensive quizzing of one of the restaurant staff, I did finally find out that the best thing to do is to tip at the end of the stay. Leave your tip in the cow at the front desk. At the end of the season, the tips are split between the front desk, the kitchen staff, and the wait staff. How much to tip – I simply figured out what I would have normally tipped at meals and for concierge service. Room staff tips are separate and should be left in the room as you see fit.
The train station was in walking distance if you are not encumbered with any physical issues or baggage. The train is very convenient transportation to many surrounding cities. I flew into Munich and transferred in Innsbruck. But I could have flown into Zurich (double-check – I do not have my map in front of me), and been non-stop to St. Anton. The problem with trains is that they force you to travel light (which I do not). There simply isn’t decent storage for luggage, that you can also monitor. So the less you carry the better.
This is one property that I would not hesitate to return to. Many of the readers know more about European skiing that I; from what I heard from others is that St. Anton has some of the best skiing in Austria, but it is not the tourist destination like other Alps destinations. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2009
Liverpool, england
Reviewed 8 September 2008

The location of this hotel is up a long steep hill and about 15 minutes from the town centre. The blurb promotes the hotel as run by the Family but you will not see them. If you drive then the parking at the hotel is horrendous involving very tight manoeuvres around the side of the hotel and down a lane under the watchful eyes of the hotel's neighbour to ensure that you do not stray into her area. The meals were small and the breakfast was only adequate. Some staff were helpful while others were decidely cool. The room was fair and was well kept. Views from the hotel were restricted but that is what can be expected of St Anton itself as it is placed in a narrow valley between mountains.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Hamish1000
Rachel P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Montjola, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hello

The Hotel Montjola has been under the management of VIP SKI now for 5 years. We'd love to welcome you back and show you how much has changed since your previous stay.

By all means get in touch at ski@vip-chalets.com

Best regards,
Rachel
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 3 April 2007

We stayed at the Montjola Hotel March 27th & 28th.
The hotel staff was great! They really made us feel like we were staying in their home rather than a hotel. They were able to direct us to a place to rent skis and we could buy our ski passes directly from the hotel. They also had a shuttle that would take you down the hill and drop you at the ski lifts(and pick you back up- the most important part!). The shuttle only ran from 9am-12pm and then from 3:30pm - 6:30 pm so when I gave up skiing around 1pm I had to trek up the hill myself but it wasn't too bad. The hotel was probably a 10 minute walk uphill from the main lifts. The hotel had a great bathroom with a huge tub which was great to soak in after a long day of falling down while "trying" to ski!

We ate dinner at the hotel the first night (since it was included) and I wish we would have eaten there both nights. The food was (surprisingly) really good! They had an appetizer/salad buffet set up with tons of choices, then they served a starter (we had soup) and then you could pick from one of three entrees (2 meat and 1 vegetarian). My husband had the veal and I had the zucchini lasagna and both were delicious! Then you had your choice of dessert. It was a really good meal and the service was really good as well. I also noticed they changed the menu nightly so it wasn’t’ the same food over and over. Breakfast was also included here and it was definitely better than your average breakfast. They had the usual continental breakfast items but they also had hot breakfast items (eggs, bacon, sausage, etc). It was a good meal to start a day of skiing!

The only con I will say is that the hotel’s website said it had a shuttle that could pick you up at the train station. When we arrived it was 2pm therefore their shuttle was not running. It took us about 30 minutes to figure out where we needed to go and what bus (they have a free bus service in St. Anton) we needed to ride. Also the bus doesn’t let you off right in front of the hotel. It is an uphill walk so if you have lots of bags beware. Or just arrive when the shuttle runs and you will be fine!

• Liked — The service and the food
  • Disliked — The location from the ski lifts
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple