“Luxury cabin hidden among the forest”
Review of Legion Lake Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Custer
Legion Lake Resort
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Custer
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at he Legion Lake resort for 4 days during our two stay in the black hills . The Main lodge is right on Legion Lake , which offers a restaurant and gift store. Non motorized boat rentals are available. Also Starbucks is available! The sleeping cabins are up the road behind the main lodge . Cabins are tucked away among the pine trees. We were lucky to get a end cabin . The room had two queen beds and a very large bathroom . The room was equipped with a lcd tv and dish network. Maid service was provided daily . Each cabin had a picnic table and fire pit . Bring your own cooking utensils. Bison and deer were prevalent during our stay . One bison decided to nap two cabins down on the porch Nice trail around the lake , to take sunset stroll. If you enjoy hotels but want to embrace nature stay at Legion Lake resort.

Room Tip: Request a end cabin
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank brookearthur
Legion-Lake, General Manager at Legion Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

We appreciate your review of Legion Lake Lodge. We take pride in making sure our guests feel welcomed and part of our Legion Lake family. It is great to hear that we were able to offer you a positive experience and so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the wildlife up close and personal. The buffalo are such a beautiful and majestic animal to have so close but keeping at a safe distance. There is so much to explore and enjoy here in Custer State Park and that is why so many of our guests return to their favorite spots and come back to experience what they missed. I hope we are able to accomodate you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Legion Lake Resort

Reviewed 14 July 2011

We stayed for a long weekend at the Legion Lake - a great location in a beautiful park. The wildlife right outside our cabin door was truly amazing! We had a sleeping cabin with 2 queens for our family of four - it was tight, so we did not spend a lot of time at the cabin. Each cabin has a picnic table and fire pit - great for smores! The lake was fun for the kids for a quick swim after a day full of activities. We thought that the restaurant would be packed due to the prime season, but it was surprisingly empty - and the food was great! We will definitely recommend in the future to folks who want to "rough it" in Custer State Park without pitching a tent!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank milprizer

Thank you for choosing Legion Lake Lodge in the beautiful Custer State Park for your family vacation. We take pride in the beauty of the hills, it's wildlife and overall vacation experience. We make every effort to ensure that our guests leave here knowing that they are important to us.

Reviewed 13 July 2011

Facility and Lodging were great. Beach was fun as well as trail around lake. However, check in and check out staff were rude and not helpful at all.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Fregoman

Thank you for your review of Legion Lake Lodge. May I extend my sincere apology for any rudeness on the part of any of my employees. It is important to me that each and every guest feels like they are a part of the Legion Lake Family. I know how important customer service is to the vacation experience as I also expect to be treated like I am important when traveling. My hope is that you will again decide to make Legion Lake Lodge and Custer State Park your vacation destination in the future for you and your family.

Reviewed 14 September 2010

We visited in September so we didn't use the lake for swimming, and were too busy to use boats. We stayed in a housekeeping cabin.

The good: The location was convenient for everything we wanted to see. A male bison spent the night at Legion Lake and sometime in the night came within 30 feet of our cabin (scat which the boys were excited to find, after we had seen him near another cabin before we went to bed). It was good to be able to eat in the cabin, we much preferred that over eating at restaurants or over camp stove.

The not so good: Smaller than I expected - we fit 5 to sleep fine, but the table sat 4 really tightly. I guess I had expected a fuller kitchen, not a kitchenette with 2 burners and a dorm fridge. I swear that I read months ago, when I made reservations, that they provided cookware - the day before I left I checked the site and found out that the don't (anymore). So I packed our camping cookware. Like someone else pointed out, the beds are incredibly soft - my back hurt every morning - I contemplated sleeping on the floor, but found a way to position myself so I could get to sleep and be able to walk the next day.

If we go back to the Black Hills I would have to think seriously about where to stay - I want a housekeeping arrangement, and the Resort is beautiful, so not sure if that is worth $170/night with all of the cons.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Mike S
Legion-Lake, General Manager at Legion Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2011

Thank you for your review of Legion Lake Lodge. I appreciate your feedback on our accommodations and do apologize for any misunderstandings that may have occured during the reservation process. Beds were recently purchased and as we continue to do our annual cabin inspections, we will look to see if there are any that do not meet our standard of quality. All our lodges want to ensure highest quality customer service and products. We hope you and yours will come visit us again and enjoy the beauty and tranquility of the beautiful Custer State Park in the near future.

Reviewed 11 August 2010

Our first time at Custer Sate Park, but certainly not the last. We were totally unfamiliar with any of the lodging or locations and so we went with price. Knew we wanted a cabin as opposed to a room so we took the least expensive of the different types offered - the sleeping cabin.

Sleeping cabins are obviously intended for that and that alone. Ours had 2 double beds, a nightstand and a small easy chair along with one closet and bathroom. Just 2 of us so we made it work but not sure how a family of 4 would do. No place really for the suitcases, no dresser tops or table to use as a surface. Quite cramped. A couple sleeping in the same bed could use the extra bed as a work surface which is helpful.

Rooms are not cheap at the resort but the experience of being right there in close proximity to the animals and the beautiful surroundings is worth treating yourself.

Recommend going the step up from a sleeping cabin to a housekeeping cabin which gives you an extra room, more seating, and some kitchen facilities.

For what it was our cabin at Legion Lake was darling. Comfortable beds, windows that open for fresh air, nice picnic table and firepit.

This park is a must see. Don't miss it.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Giggy

Thank you so much for your review on Legion Lake Lodge. We are pleased you had a pleasant stay with us in the beautiful Custer State Park. We require a high standard of Customer Service and appreciate your comments good or bad. Hope to see you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
0.6 km away
21.1 km away
K Bar S Lodge
K Bar S Lodge
#1 of 13 in Keystone

Been to Legion Lake Resort? Share your experiences!