“The Comfort Inn is... well... comfy!”

Comfort Inn & Suites Custer
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Custer
New York
“The Comfort Inn is... well... comfy!”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Loses a star because this was one of the very few hotels in Custer that still had rooms, so they hit me up for $150 to stay there for the night. Bleeagh.

Other than that the front desk was friendly and they nearly max out on all the amenities you could ask for. Everything has a fresh, new feel to it, including the freshly batched supersized cookies they keep in the lobby that beg you to forget whatever diet you might happen to be on and indulge yourself till the end of time.

They have a good continental breakfast too, with enough hot and cold items to spare you any need for leaving the hotel, and the dining area is pretty comfortable. I had scrambled eggs, sausages and biscuits, all of which were tasty and filling.

With its excellent proximity to restaurants and attractions, I would definitely consider staying here again to visit the numerous points of interest in the Mount Rushmore region. But only when the rates are a bit cheaper. :-)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Frank S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Waverly
Reviewed 3 October 2011

very clean,close to every all attractions,very great staff, very helpful,great rooms,front desk staff very professional,friendly, could not ask for a better and cleaner hotel

Room Tip: Rooms sell out quick,during Buffalo Roundup
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank hunter R
Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We spent three nights in Custer, SD, in mid-September, which is only 10-15 miles from Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse mountain. I booked the Comfort Inn online without ever having been there, and couldn't be happier. The building looks to be quite new, the rooms are very clean, quiet, and well appointed, and the breakfast area is large enough to accommodate a large group in the morning. This facility sits back from the road so traffic noise isn't an issue.

The only thing lacking was a small refrigerator in the room (at least the one we had) but we had a good sized cooler with us anyway. Rates were in line with other hotels in the area.

Every one of the staff members that I had contact with was friendly and courteous. I would stay there again, and recommend it to others without hesitation.

-------------------

Edit note: corrected because my original review incorrectly showed a two-dot "poor" rating.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NeverPayFullPrice
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This was a nice surprise. We liked the description in our tour book "spacious and elegant" which did not sound like your basic motel chain type room, but the description was right on. A large sleeping area, a generous sitting area and a nice sized bath. The room was immaculate and the beds very comfortable unlike some of the $250+ rooms we staying in on this trip west. Breakfast was included and served in the large dining room and was better than the typical continental breakfast.

Room Tip: The "suite" with a separate sitting area wasn't that much more but well worth the extr...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank gfalzer
savannahCuster, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Custer, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to send in your comment
Castalia, Iowa
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My mom, my two young sons, and I had reserved a room for September 12th - 17th, 2011. A few weeks before our trip, I had emailed the hotel requesting that all of the bedding, including the mattress pad and bedspread, be freshly changed before our arrival due to my son's allergies as well as for sanitary reasons. Although I received an immediate computer-generated reply to my email saying that my message would be answered within the next few days, I never received a response. Upon checking into the hotel, the nice woman who checked us in said that there was a note that I had requested fresh bedding, and that all of the linens had been changed. We got up early the next morning to get ready and have breakfast before heading to Hill City for our 10am reservations on the 1880 Train. As I was getting ready, my mom knocked on the bathroom door, and told me that I wouldn't believe what she'd just found in her bed as she was making it. Very upset, she laid a yellow fingernail on the bathroom counter that appeared to have come from an elderly person! She was sick to her stomach to think that she'd slept in a bed with bedding with a dirty fingernail in it that didn't belong to her, me or my sons! While I finished getting ready, she put the fingernail in a tissue and went to the front desk. Fifteen to twenty minutes later, she came back to the room extremely upset wanting me to go back to the front desk with her because the lady she spoke to didn't believe that she'd actually found a fingernail in her bed! We went back to the front desk where we spoke to the same lady my mom had spoken to a few minutes earlier, with the initials CMB who claimed to be the manager. I have NEVER been treated so rudely and with such crassness in my life, let alone by someone claiming to be the manager of a large hotel in a popular vacation destination! We were careful to very quietly and nicely explain what had happened, careful to keep our voices down and to stop discussing our problem when other hotel guest came to the desk. She stood there with her arms crossed the entire time not responding to us with more than a nod of her head from time to time until she had the audacity to tell us that not only did she NOT believe that we had found a fingernail in one of the beds, but then insinuating that we had PLANTED the fingernail there in order to get a free night's stay! How dare she! My mom and I are good, honest, Christian women who had both saved up and planned for this vacation for MONTHS! Neither of us like to complain and avoid confrontation at all costs, but we had EVER right to bring this to the hotel's attention! Silly as it felt at the time, my mom and I both held out or hands for her to see that neither of us had a broken nail nor did the yellowed fingernail look anything like ours. My mom asked her several times how the hotel intended to make things right, to which CMB responded that although she was the manager, she had personally changed the bedding herself the previous day, and that the hotel wasn't going to fall for our little scam! When I told her that we weren't saying that the bedding hadn't been changed, and that perhaps the housekeeper had broken a nail while changing the sheets or that maybe the nail got snagged to the sheets during laundering, she told me that none of that was possible, and then once again insinuated that WE put the fingernail there to get a free night. My mom was crying by this time, and I was getting very angry not only at the accusations this lady was making and that my mom was upset, but by the complete and utter disrespectful and rude way that she was addressing us and handling this matter. When I asked her if there was another manager on duty, she just stared at me and wouldn't reply. I told her that what it came down to was that it WASN'T our fingernail that we found in the hotel's bed, and that was a problem, to which she replied, and I quote, "If you're finished now, I have things to do." I'd had it by this time, and announced that although we'd planned to stay for the next 4 nights, we'd be checking out immediately, and I'd be contacting corporate headquarters to tell them what had happened and how she was treating us. Her response, "That's fine." No apology, no asking if there was anything she could do to make us stay, nothing! Not ONCE during either my or my mom's conversation with this lady did she make ANY sort of an apology or ANY attempt to resolve the issue! Ridiculous! Now running late and not even having breakfast yet, we returned to our room, packed up our things, and loaded our luggage in the car. We stopped by the front desk to drop off our keys and pay for the one night out of the five nights we'd planned to stay. We were waited on once again by CMB, and still no apology or not even the slightest attempt to try to make us change our minds and not check out. Upon paying, she pointed to a $25 room charge courtesy on the invoice, which I imagine she gave to us to cover her butt and make it look like she tried to make us happy, but it was way too little, way to late, and still didn't include any sort of an apology for the fingernail OR her behavior. After getting in the car, I remembered I had a postcard that my youngest had written to his daddy at home that I'd forgotten to mail, so I took it back in to put in the hotel's mailbox. When I walked through the front door, I could hear CMB loudly complaining to another hotel employee about us for all to hear, including other guests. Another slap in the face to us, and VERY unprofessional! Now without a hotel room for the rest of our vacation, I hurriedly called other hotels in town on our way to Hill City for our 10am 1880 Train reservations. We ended up getting a room at the Holiday Inn Express next door, and made it to Hill City just in time to pay for our train tickets and board the train.

Room Tip: Check your bedding!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank ErrinW
Also consider these accommodations in or near Custer
0.1 km away
0.8 km away
Rocket Motel
Rocket Motel
#1 of 17 in Custer

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Custer? Share your experiences!