“A Good Hotel In The French Quarter”
Review of Hotel St. Marie

Hotel St. Marie
Ranked #61 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This hotel is about a 30 second walk from the chaos and madness of Bourbon Street yet it is quiet and relaxed and makes for a nice stay in New Orleans. The room we stayed in was of a good size, had a brilliant shower, an enormous bed, a TV with all the standard cable channels, phone, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, coffee making facilities and a safe. The wardrobe was a bit small but adequate and there was plenty drawer space. We would have preferred a balcony or a window that opened [my advice is to request a room overlooking the courtyard with a balcony - obviously these are limited so they can't be guaranteed] but the air conditioning, although a little noisy, ensured we were comfortable at all times of day. The decor was a little dated and could have done with refreshing but as this is N'awlins baby, let's just say it was shabby chic. Honestly, it really wasn't a problem and added to the overall character and charm of the hotel.

The courtyard provides a great place to get away from the noise and heat and is a wonderful location to take breakfast. The hotel bar was nice and cosy and they know how to knock up a cocktail - no stingy measures in this establishment - which is great for setting you up for a night on the town.

There is a computer in the lobby that you can use for full internet access and it is free - very handy for checking out which bands are playing where.

The staff were all friendly and helpful and we were made to feel very welcome.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good hotel with bags of character in a very convenient location that offers good rooms, good service and excellent rates. When we go back, we will definitely be booking with the Hotel St Marie again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the courtyard.
6  Thank Jean M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,962)

Reviewed 4 June 2012

First, let me apologize for the lengthy review but I'm so happy with this place, I have to be thorough in my response.

The last week of April, I took my parents to New Orleans Jazz Fest for their 60th anniversary. In spite of having many options (Bahamas, Jamaica, etc.), their preference is only New Orleans for Jazz Fest. So while this was my tenth time to New Orleans, it was their fourth trip there. Each time previously, we have always stated at the Place d'Armes. In spite of trying to book my reservations a good 8 months in advance, The hotel was booked full. I decided to look at sister hotels and that is how I found Hotel St. Marie.

Normally, I would do lots of online research to gauge if the hotel is nice or not but rather than risk losing any chance of available rooms, I booked two rooms immediately, both facing the courtyard. Then I looked at online reviews. While the Hotel St. Marie overall reviews ranked on par with the Place d'Armes (4+), the individual comments didn't bode so well. In general, people stated that they loved the location and the restaurants but talked negatively about the beds (uncomfortable), the smells (musty) and the televisions (old, static).

Of course, being it was my parents 60th I was immediately panicked. I did not want my parents special trip to end up being their worst visit to New Orleans. At the same time, I didn't feel like I had any options because their were no more available hotels or vacation rentals. So I decided to call the hotel and talk to the General Manager, Peter Dandridge.

Peter Dandridge, the General Manager was wonderful in first acknowledging that he was aware of some of the negative comments and assuring me that it was actually not the case. He spent no less than 1/2 hour on the phone with me describing the hotel, recent renovations, the location and, most importantly, the rooms that we actually would be in. He even went a step further and recommended a flower shop and wine business that could deliver flowers and champagne respectively to the hotel to surprise my parents.

Once at the hotel, it was everything Peter described. It was clean, stately, charming and the rooms were beautiful and quiet, especially the suite I got for my parents. The beds were very comfortable and the televisions were new, high definition with great clarity (very important for my sports and news loving parents). The courtyard was simply beautiful and the location was fantastic. The people were gracious and helpful from the front desk staff, to the bellboys to the cleaning and maintenance crews.

The first morning there, my mother, who is diabetic, suffered a crisis and I had to rush to the restaurant (Vacherie) to get some orange juice and toast. The waitress excused herself from her customers and it couldn't have been more than 3 minutes before I had what I needed and got it to my Mom. While I tried to pay, she said just come back later and take care of it, which I did. Mom recovered nicely and was able to enjoy the rest of the vacation.

So at the end of our trip, I asked Mom and Dad, what was their favorite place...the Place d'Armes or Hotel St. Marie. Hands down, it was Hotel St. Marie. I would have to agree.

See you next year....

Room Tip: Definitely request the courtyard view. Much more quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank Nellie N
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My husband and I spent 1 night at the Hotel St. Marie at the end of May and were delighted with our stay there. We have stayed at the Hotel St. Marie at least once or twice a year for about 10 years and have always had a great experience. Our courtyard room was fresh, clean, and comfortable and quiet..and a bargain at 89.00.....We were happy to see that the bar, cafe and restaurant have reopened as, "Vacherie". The bar had a nice little happy hour and the bartender was pleasant and efficient. The front desk staff were very friendly.....We ate breakfast in the restaurant and I had a delicious plate of greek yogurt with honey, walnuts and all kinds of fresh fruits for $6...really 2 people could have shared it and my husband had a typical 2 egg breakfast that was served hot...the restaurant staff were very pleasant as well....The only slight problem we had involved the valet when we first arrived....(we did arrive early before 10)....however we have always done this and parked the car and checked our luggage at the front desk and wandered around until our room was ready later in the day and never had a problem) The valet was unpleasant and not happy that we had arrived early and gave us a hard time about parking the car....he finally relented and took the car...but we were made very uncomfortable about this...........maybe he was just stressed.... again this was the first time in 10 years that this happened....... We did take an afternoon dip in the pool and it was cool and the setting is beautiful.....but it did need to be cleaned......Hotel St. Marie is a great comfortable and safe place to stay with a great location right off Bourbon....I look forward to returning to this special hotel

Room Tip: I prefer a room on the 3rd floor or below....check website for rates and choose a courtyard room wit...
3  Thank Gulfcoastgirl_8
Reviewed 31 May 2012

this was my second trip to N.O. and this lodging was a "10"...so close to Bourbon St. yet so quiet. The decor, courtyard and room was very.very nice.Staff so very friendly and helpful.Both the cafe and restaurant food was excellent. The restaurant dessert was "to die for" especially the peach cobbler and buttermilk pie(first time for tasting this) and had it twice. My dream would to return for a 3rd visit to N.O and staying here would be the utlimate to complete this dream

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jean B
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed a couple of days at Hotel St. Marie. This is a smaller, older hotel but I would stay here again. The location was great! The staff was very friendly, check-in uneventful and it was reasonably priced!! You can certainly tell that this place could use a bit of remodeling but it was clean. The lighting is really bad, hard to get ready to go out with the lighting that is offered! Small TUBE TV, but we never had the TV on so it didn't matter.

1  Thank DebbieCincinnaitOhio