“Excellent Latin Food”

Mayas Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Mayas Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #432 of 2,023 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: USD 14 - USD 30
Cuisines: Caribbean, South American, Central American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Garden District
Cross street: St. Andrew Avenue
Transit: New Orleans RTA - www.norta.com Bus Stop @ Magazine & Jackson St. Charles Streetcar Stop @ St. Andrew & St. Charles
Description: A fare of new and traditional dishes from the Latin American region with a taste of Asian and Middle East influence.
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

The family stopped here after an eight hour drive from Dallas and was not disappointed.

Mayas is a small bar/restaurant on Magazine St. that serves really great Latin and Mexican inspired dishes and some awesome watermelon sangria.

As a starter we ordered tostones, which were just like my Puerto Rican grandmother used to make. The tostones were served with three sauces/aiolis. They hit the spot.

For the entree, two of us had the tilapia, one had red curry shrimp, one an enormous brunch burrito, and me, the lechon. No body had any complaints and nobody will be hungry until maybe lunch tomorrow. The portions were HUGE...yet everyone had a hard time putting their forks down. My lechon was served with black beans on top of a big mound of rice. The pork roast was very tasty. No room for dessert!

Prices were reasonable. The five of us ate for $110, including a total of two beers and two sangrias.

Service was super friendly. We definitely recommend Mayas.

Reviewed 30 June 2017

We thought we'd try Mayas restaurant, but weren't expecting anything special - just a nice lunch. Well, the food and service were all great. The hostess spaced the timing of serving us well between the appetizers, salad and entrée. We didn't feel like we were being rushed in and out like in some places. We had the fried yucca [a pleasant surprise], Cuban quacamole, I had a salad and my husband had a vegetable meatball soup. He raved with every bite about how delicious it was. Then we split a pork quesadilla which was also delicious. We'll definitely return for more.

Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

ALERT: check your bill carefully! I was very disappointed with my dining experience at Mayas. Untrained staff gave the wrong prices for off the menu drink specials and attempted to charge the drinks for double the special price. When I told the waitress that I was charged the wrong price, she refused to edit my bill. Next, I talked to the owner and he called me a liar because he did not believe the waitress would tell me the wrong price for the drink special. So much for the customer always being right. I later was told that the waitress was in training, although I was never told this at the beginning of the night. The waitress in training also never had a trained waiter working with her. I had to send back my check two times because I was going to be charged for food and drinks I did not order and it took 30 minutes for me to receive the correct bill. Needless to say I will not be returning. Drinks are syrupy with little alcohol.

Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

We stopped by for a quick snack and I can't wait to go back for dinner. The soft shell crab appetizer was to die for! We also shared the guacamole and the tamales and they were perfection in a plate. The service was also great.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

my friend & stopped in on a rainy day before jazzfest. we sat at the bar & ordered wine & 2 appetizers. it was really more of a meal & the pours were generous. beautiful presentation & very good food. loved the ambience & decor. and maybe the best part of all was chatting with trinity who co-owns maya with the chef. there was a rude customer leaving when we arrived & trinity handled her with grace so as not to disturb his customers. if you're shopping on magazine st stop in for a snack or meal. you'll be glad you did.