“Wonderful Experience at Hotel Monteleone”
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #10 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This was our first visit to NOLA and I'm more than pleased to recommend the Hotel Monteleone. When I made the reservation on-line, I took advantage of joining their "club." Because of this, and due to availability, we were offered a free upgrade to a Premium King room on the tenth floor. It was spacious and included a jacuzzi tub in addition to the shower. We had a view of the water and saw cruise ships coming and going. We also received a coupon for a free drink in the Carousel Lounge. Since we took advantage of the special reduced summer rate, it helped to offset the parking charges.

The hotel is in an excellent location in the French Quarter -- close to several of the Brennan family restaurants: Brennan's on Royal, Mr. B's Bistro and The Bourbon House, and it's not a bad walk up to Frenchman Street for dinner at Adolfo's either. Walgreen's is on a corner (of course) very close by and there's a Smoothie King just down the street. You have easy access to the bus and Trolley (St. Charles).

Monteleone's decor is first class and you'll see a huge bouquet of fresh flowers in the lobby (like the Royal Sonesta) and I was impressed by the sparkling bathrooms with granite tile, more than ample supply of towels, a Keurig coffee pot in the room and a comfortable bed. Also worth noting is how quiet our room was at the end of the hallway.

As it was stifling hot in NO, we enjoyed coming back to the hotel in mid-afternoon and spending time at the pool -- plenty of towels and cold drinks. By that time, you could enjoy a little shade as well.

I found ALL of the staff I encountered during our 3-night stay to be gracious: Check-in staff, Parking, Concierge, Pool staff, Doorman and Maid service. Our maid even stopped by one afternoon to offer ice and chocolates!

We look forward to visiting again and will definitely try to book at Monteleone. Oh, and by the way, while we were there, we saw that a Hollywood celebrity made the Hotel Montelone their choice as well. What more can I say?

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie H
Write a ReviewReviews (7,914)

Reviewed 3 July 2012

The location was great. Checking in was a breeze with very friendly staff. The rooms were nice. Some say they are small, I didn't feel ours was at all. We had a room with 2 double beds on the 12th floor. Parking was easy as we paid for valet. Again, some say it is pricey but it's the average for New Orleans and even cheaper than done locations. We had a great stay and I would recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Location is in the middle of the best restaurantsand bars. The door men know directions to every place in the Quarter. If you don't want leave the hotel enjoy the carousel bar or the rooftop pool and bar. Hotel built in late 1800's so rooms are a little bit small but very nice. It will be my hotel of choice in N.O. from now on.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I live in New Orleans and am very familiar with the Monteleone. Housekeeping decided to clean our room after we had checked in and took everything we had in the room. Gracious at first for the mistake, when we called a second time to try to retrieve our things, we were treated rudely, coldly, and with contempt. We did not recover all our items.

The room was so tiny, we had to wait on each other just to get to the closet. Less than one foot room from the entertainment center to the foot of the bed. Only coffee machine for amenities. Bathroom had no room for anything but very small items. The shelf extended over the toilet making one have to lean/reach over toilet just to get to the shelf, causing items to fall in on several occasions. This room was not planned in any way for comfort, but obviously planned to shave off space to add another room to the floor plan; i.e. money, money money over any sort of comfort.

The buffet was adequate but not great as has been in past stays, and the parking fee was outrageous. The renovation of the Carousel bar was decent, but if you want to sit at the bar, you will have to wait awhile.

Overall, for the cost of this hotel, I suggest you look around for a better deal. I have spent a lot of time in the Monteleone, and this was, by far, the worst. I have suggested to all my friends that so love this place, to pick another hotel for visiting during their JazzFest vacations (30 people or so), at least until the GM is replaced, and the staff retrained, and the rooms corrected for decent space.

Room Tip: Ask to see room first, some are so tiny it's impossible to move around for 2 people.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SimbiPetwo
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2012

Dear Moonshinevoodoo,

We are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the quality of your stay and accommodations. Hotel Monteleone is a historic property, and with that comes a unique floor plan with varying room sizes. We have tried our best to preserve the history of the building while still providing guests with a comfortable space to stay while visiting New Orleans. Again, we apologize that you did not find this satisfactory but we do ask you to consider the nature of New Orleans’ old buildings and the measures taken to modernize them while preserving their integrity.

It is our wish to offer our guests comfortable accommodations with particular emphasis on personal attention. Your comments are well taken. In this instance we did not perform as well as we are capable of and for that I sincerely apologize.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.

Hotel Monteleone

Reviewed 30 June 2012

I have had some very good stays at the Monteleone, but most recently was a bit lacking.My wife and I recently spent two nights at the hotel, with our two 20-something daughters in an adjacent room.
The good:
This IS, after all the Monteleone, with history and character. It is a beautiful, traditional New Orleans hotel with that special French ambiance.
The location on Royal street is perfect for the French Quarter, but one block away from the craziness of Bourbon Street. Still, an easy walk to all FQ attractions. Probably my favorite location in New Orleans!
Check in was easy, front desk staff friendly and personable. Both rooms ready, though we showed up at 12 Noon.
The Carousel bar has been recently renovated and is larger, "spiffed up", has live entertainment (at least it did on the weekend), and serves a fantastic Ramos Gin Fizz! Lively, fun and charming as ever.
The bad:
Rooms (Classic King) were TINY!! Very uncomfortable for two people to move around in at the same time. Bathrooms small too, with very little counter space.
Housekeeping. Rooms were NEVER made up. I'm not talking about turndown service, mints on pillow, etc. I'm talking two days and nights with nobody entering either room! Just before we checked out I noticed the message light on the phone blinking: It was Housekeeping, checking to make sure we did not need our rooms made up! I thought that was pretty much standard, but apparently not.
The restaurant is new, Criollo. We did not try it. Had a generic breakfast buffet catered by the hotel. Nothing special but not bad.
Would I go back? Yes, I would, but with somewhat lowered expectations. Hope things will perk up because this has always been a special place!

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to a larger room and call housekeeping ahead of time to let them know that you would...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family