8,653 results
All reviews carousel bar criollo rooftop pool french quarter royal street bourbon street beautiful hotel rooms are small perfect location old world charm beignets street noise mississippi river parking garage jackson square mardi gras garden district
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Stayed at the Monteleone twice in the last seven months, with the last being over Christmas of 2011. I was pleased on both occasions with the quality and cleanliness of the rooms, and the attentiveness of the staff. I am a huge fan of the Carousel Bar that is located near the main entrance. It is often difficult to find a seat in there, but when you do, it's worth it. The location of this hotel is convenient to most FQ attractions/restaurants/sites, and you feel appreciated when you stay here. I concur with other posters who noted the beauty of the main lobby, which is particularly glorious over the holidays. My only complaint is that the hotel's gift shop is rarely open/attended. When you're in a hurry and need a postage stamp or something small, having this as a resource is valuable. Waiting around for someone to open the locked door (when the hours of operation are posted but not honored) is frustrating, and most of the time, I abandoned my efforts and went elsewhere. Cost me some time. But I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone who appreciates high quality and elegance in their accommodations and hotel staff.

Room Tip: Rooms with a "FQ view"...hardly. You may get rooftops (which is great) or a brick wall. Hard to predict.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank radiowitch
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Montelone for three nights over the weekend of March 9, 2012. The hotel is ideally located near the edge of the Quarter. It was very easy to explore in all directions and pop back into the hotel to drop packages, freshen up, etc. The room and especially the bathroom were small however that is to be expected in a historic hotel. The room was clean and the service throughout the hotel was excellent. On a busy spring weekend the hotel set us back upwards of $400 per night which became more affordable since three of us split the bill. It was fun to end our evenings in the awesome Carousel Bar in the lobby where they have fantastic bands and vocalists perform. I also enjoyed the rooftop pool and the fitness center was well equipped. It was easy to store our luggage on our final day prior to returning to the airport. If I can afford it I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: We chose a high floor to decrease inpact of revelers on street below.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank cosmiccow
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Situated right on Royal at the Canal end of the Quarter, the Monteleone is in the thick of it. The doormen, reception and concierges were all extremely friendly, efficient and helpful. The main lobby is bustling and beautiful - decked out with chandeliers, comfortable seating areas and fabulous floral arrangements. Forewarned by reviews here, we ask for a quiet room on a high floor. Reception was very responsive and accommodated us with room 1447. Though our friends were in a much smaller room on the 15th floor (1538), we were very pleased with the size of our room. The marble bathrooms are on the small side with one sink, a tub with shower and a toilet on a strange angle. Were we to stay in the Quarter again (which we would not do) we would stay here. We do recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger size room on a high floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This is a charming, historic hotel with a ton of character. It's location is perfect--close to the action on Bourbon Street, but set a block away so you can avoid a lot of the noise and insanity when you're ready to head home for the night. My room was quite small, and looked out into an interior courtyard housing the A/C units, so that left something to be desired. But Being in New Orleans, you probably don't want to be spending too much time in your hotel room anyway. Overall, a good place to stay, with a strong sense of history.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I love the Monteleone because it's where my grandparents used to stay when they would take the train from Lafayette forty and fifty years ago. So I've stayed here myself many times over the years. (And, although the Sunset Limited now runs only three days a week, I still take it whenever I can.) The hotel had a major restoration a few years ago and came through it well: the public areas and the guest rooms still look like they are a hundred years old, but in a very good way. The bathrooms have basins of polished stone and the bedrooms have Audubon prints on the walls, and everything seems to work.

But the Monteleone is a large hotel, and when it's full or nearly full -- as it often seems to be -- the staff seems overwhelmed, the lines can be long, and the lobby and restaurant/lounge can be so crowded as not to be very inviting.

My last stay happened to be on one of the many spring weekends when there is a lot going on in New Orleans. In this case it was the national college basketball championship tournament, but sometimes it's just a major conference or two. The hotels fill up and so do the streets in the French Quarter, until very late. My room was on a high floor but it faced Royal Street, which meant it was only a block from Bourbon street. There was a lots of street noise until quite late, and this was compounded by the occasional drunken revelers who walked past my room at 2 a.m., apparently on their way to an after-party in a room down the hall. And I didn't even try to go in to the Carousel Lounge for a drink or a snack. (The good news is that Arnaud's Jazz Bistro, only a block away, wasn't too crowded. It's a great place for a light supper and a glass of wine.)

I'll always love the Monteleone, but next time I'll try to stay at a quieter time (a Wednesday night in July?) and get a quieter room, preferably facing away from Royal. These rooms also tend to have better views, since they face in the direction of the Mississippi River which is only a few blocks away.

Room Tip: High floor rooms facing away from Royal Street are quieter, and they also have better views -- toward Jackson Square, the Cathedral, and/or the Mississippi River.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business