“Grand Dame Hotel Could Use a Little Upgrading”
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #10 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My husband and I have been coming to New Orleans every year for Jazz Fest, and have always stayed at either the Royal Sonesta or the Ritz Carlton. This year, we decided to try the Monteleone for a slight change of scenery. Location-wise, being on Royal Street as opposed to Bourbon Street made a difference -- no need to push through throngs of inebriated people to enter the lobby, no need to worry about choosing an interior room to get a good night's sleep, and one block closer to the shuttle stop for the Jazz Fest buses.

The public areas of this hotel are elegant in an old-timey way -- lots of marble, brass and crystal. The Carousel bar is a must-visit at least once. But there are several minor deficiencies in the hotel which certainly didn't spoil my trip but will make me try harder to get into my preferred hotels next time. In terms of reservations, the website for the hotel didn't let us specify that we preferred a king room instead of two doubles (either that, or our request wasn't honored); for two tall people, neither sleeping together on a double, nor sleeping separately on our own double, was ideal. The room, while clean and generally comfortable, could have used a bit of updating and freshening up, and the bedding was not the high-thread-count cotton I've come to expect even at mid-range business class hotels. We had long-ish waits for elevators, because there are only two, and the crowds in the lobby (which has lounging areas just outside the elevators) led to some clumsy maneuvering one leaving the elevator.

That aside, the location is good, the hotel is reasonably comfortable, and the service was fine. But it's not my first choice of New Orleans hotels.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

Dear RedSabre,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate reading about all our guests experiences. We apologize that you did not receive the room that was requested. Currently we are in the process of renovating the hotel to make it more updated and comfortable for our gusts. We will be sharing your comments with management and thank you once again for sharing with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,807)

Reviewed 28 July 2011

My wife and I live in the New Orleans area, so we know the reputation of local hotels. Therefore, when we booked a room at the Monteleone, we knew it would be great.

Everything about our stay was great. Throughout our stay, we continuously remarked to each other how caring and attentive the staff was; each department - from the parking garage to the front desk to housekeeping, dining, and the Carousel Lounge - were all at the top of their game.

It was also amzaing how meticulously maintained this 125 year old was; we found no wear and tear anywhere - everything looked new! The decor is luxurious, with fine furnishings throughout the lobby and public areas, and beautiful wallcoverings throughout the corridors. We were first placed in what they call a "Traditional Double" room - it was beautiful and comfortable but somewhat cramped. Then we upgraded to a Vieux Carre Suite, and how sweet it was! With views overlooking the French Quarter and the Mississippi River, we were mesmerized. Two TV's, three phones, two bathrooms - one boasting marble floors, granite countertops, a Keurig coffee maker, a glass-enclosed shower and the very best jacuzzi I have ever been massaged by - and the bed...ooooh, the bed was so very comfortable! The spacious, well decorated living room (yes, the chairs were upholstered in the same pattern material as the drapes) made the suite all that much more of a retreat as we went back and forth on our daily outings in the French Quarter.

Don't miss the rooftop pool! We love that it is only 4 1/2 feet deep, which allowed us to lounge and chat with new friends while drinking frozen drinks from the poolside bar. The other bar - the historic Carousel Lounge on the ground floor - is also not to be missed, as the 20 or so patrons on the barstools surrounding the bar move round and round at a very leisurely, relaxing pace. Another outstanding amenity is the fitness room; there is a very good variety of strength and cardio equipment, and each of the cardio machines have a personal TV attached...or you can just look out over the city or watch the riverboats and ships pass by in the Mississippi.

The only difficulty we had during the entire trip was finding the right elevator to the rooftop pool; coming across a female employee who was keeping the lobby spotless, when I asked directions, instead of telling me or pointing the way, she actually walked us across the lobby, around the corner, pressed the button for the elevator, and held the door as we entered. Talk about service! Another nice touch was the ever-present doorman.

All in all, the Monteleone is a luxurious, comfortable, and historic place to stay, and its perfect location in the French Quarter (there is no need for a car if you are vacationing here) only makes it better. Do yourself a favor and spend some time at the Monteleone, like we did. We'll be back!

Nearby dining tips: The continental breakfast buffet was outstanding - in addition to nice pastries, cereals, and juices, it had the best fruit and berry selection I have seen anywhere except Hawaii. Just around the corner, the Pelican Club was great for dinner, and the "Someplace Else" restaurant was good for lunch. Living nearby we can also highly recommend K-Paul's and Arnaud's for great dinners, and the Napoleon house or the Crescent City Brewhouse for lunch or drinks. Susan Spicer's famous Bayonna Restaurant a few blocks away is also nice, but don't bother - the quality is just a bit too subtle to justify the high prices.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor facing east or south - better view, and less (no) noise from the stre...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StCharlesLA

Dear StCharlesLA,

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. Your review was very refreshing and we appreciate the 5/5 stars. We hope to be your home away from home on your future trips to New Orleans.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

My cousin and I stayed here during a weekend in July. Breakfast was included: bagels, pastries, fruit, cereal, yogurt. Yummy! The beds were comfortable, rooms were clean, and had a rooftop pool. I wish the pool was indoors because it rained most of the weekend. The carousel bar was a cool addition in the lobby and the conceirge was helpful in reserving us a table at one of Emeril's restaurants. All the workers were very nice and professional. There is a Walgreens next door, which came in handy for snacks, drinks, and umbrellas. Canal street and Bourbon street are VERY close. FYI- if you are looking for great live music, go to Frenchmen St inside of Bourbon. (The locals go there and it is a very chill area). Make sure you take some tours--this city has lots of history!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Dear su2doz,

We are so glad to hear you and your cousin enjoyed your stay at the Monteleone. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in New Orleans and at the hotel with us and others.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed here the third week of July for a Family Reunion (which I was one of the hosts). We stayed here probably 10+ years ago as well for the same reason. Unfortunately, I only remembered the good and not the not so good.
First off I will say that it is in a good location. One block over from Bourbon and two blocks from Canal. Plus you are in prime walking distance to many restaurants including Felix, the Oyster House and Deanie's Seafood. The lobby is beautiful and though I didn't utilize it the revolving bar was kind of interesting looking. The pool is on the roof and very nice looking looking, however somewhat small.
Now, the rooms are small. Though I realize that most rooms are small in the French Quarters, I just don't remember them being that small. In addition, please note the Hotel has a renovated and non-renovated side. Ask for a room on the renovated side, they are slightly bigger plus you can actually control temperature. The bathrooms are also small and not updated. The beds were comfortable, given me a good night sleep every night I was there.
Some of the workers could use a refresher course on hospitality. I had an incident where I remarked that a conference room was locked that we were supposed to be using to one lady who was working on the floor. She preceded to tell me 'she couldn't help me and maybe you should go ask someone else'. It wasn't what she said, but how she said it. Also had an incident where the fire alarm went off (we were on the 15th floor) and we had to take the stairs down. Once we got to the 4th floor we were told it was a false alarm. However, when my mother (who is recovering from double knee surgery) was remarking how upset she was about the strain going down stairs had put on her one of the workers actually LAUGHED in her face.
Restaurant was closed for renovations so the hotel offered free Continental Breakfast. Get their early if you don't want to wait in line.
All in all this hotel probably use to be one of the gems of New Orleans, but their are numerous things that need to be worked on to be that way again. When I travel back to NOLA I will probably opt for a hotel outside but near the French Quarters. There seems to be better accommodations there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the renovated side.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Dear Court18,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience at the Hotel Monteleone. We will be sharing your comments with management. We hope that you can return once our renovations are complete.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

Service - Service-Service! This hotel makes you feel like one of the family and like an extra special quest at the same time. Many of the staff have been there for quite some time and fully understand that the customer comes first. Anytime I am in this hotel I am greeted warmly and often by the staff. The entrance lobby is just beautiful, it reminds me of days gone by.
My room was extra clean and beautiful, The rooms are not as large as newer properties, but they are comfortable and well appointed. This visit we had a room facing Royal St. It was mostly quiet.( The bed was soooo comfortable) We were expecting to be out late and weren't really concerned about noise and did enjoy looking over the city. I have asked for quiet rooms in the past and had interior rooms which had no sound for the quarter.
The Carousel Bar is not to be missed. It is where locals come for great drinks, and a good night out. Ask Mike to make you a Sazerac, I swear they are the best in the city!
This hotel is in a great location also. Not on Bourbon, but close enough for walking to all the great restaurants, Jackson Square, coffee and donuts, the great Mississppi river, Harahs....everything you need close to "home". Royal Street is a great street for shopping.
You will feel special when you leave here.

BTW : Stay off Bourbon, the locals do! - except for Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse at the Royal Sonesta,. If staying at The Monteleone you can access The Sonesta through the parking garage that exits on Bienville Street, through the back entrance and up one flight of stairs to the lobby. Also Pat O'Briens has an entrance on St. Peter - lovely courtyard there.

Room Tip: To get a good room, just ask! Tell them what you are looking for and if they have it they will try t...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear LoveNewOrleans88,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderfully detailed review. We always enjoy reading about our guests experiences. You shared great information about the hotel and the city.