8,657 results
All reviews carousel bar criollo rooftop pool french quarter royal street bourbon street beautiful hotel rooms are small perfect location old world charm beignets street noise mississippi river parking garage jackson square mardi gras garden district
Reviewed 23 October 2007

I can't think of a better location, unless you have a view of the river... one very quiet and upscale block off Burbon Street . The hotel was very clean and nicely decorated in a modern New Orleans style. We had lovely arched windows (7th floor, facing front) and, though we were near the elevator, it was very quiet. (previous posts have said it was noisy... it simply wasn't for us.) The concierge was very helpful and there was always someone posted at the door to help you in or out.

Didn't eat there... but ate across the street at Mr. B's Bistro, which was full with local lunchers-- brought in by really good food and $1.50 martinis or bloody marys m-f. Can't beat that!

I don't think there are many hotels in New Orleans with outdoor pools--- theirs is on the roof and it is just lovely. What a treat to lounge there in the early afternoon. (However, the air conditioning units can be heard by the pool... so it wasn't perfection--- but quite close.)

We loved the Monteleone. We will absolutely stay there next time we are in New Orleans.

Stayed: October 2007
5  Thank kawh
Reviewed 21 October 2007

Despite the quaint nature and long tradition of this hotel, it is not for business travelers. I stayed at the Hotel Monteleone as part of a business convention. The room was neat and clean, although during a 4 night stay I did not once get fully stocked amenities. One day, towels provided were ripped and stained.

Internet connection in the room is by wire only, and works fine. Wireless in the lobby is spotty at best. The biggest problem is that once you pay for internet access in your room, you do not get access in the hotel's meeting rooms. So while I was there for business, during the meetings I attended I was unable to access the internet.

Also, they do not have enough staff at this point. Long waits to get help to check in or at the bell station. I had booked a shuttle to the airport, and the bellman told me to wait in the lobby (since it was raining) and they would come in and call me when it arrived. 20 minutes after the reservation time, I checked with the bellman and he said it never arrived. But when I called the shuttle, they said the shuttle had come and left because I was not there. Staff was particularly unhelpful at that point.

So, while this is probably a good hotel for a vacation spot -- it is located a block off Bourbon Street in the French Quarter -- it is not ready for the business traveler.

6  Thank LawMomof2
Reviewed 19 October 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Monteleone for four nights. Our room was a king room. While well furnished, the room was very small. As I was there on business, I needed to use my laptop and it got very cramped. The hotel provides internet connections in the room at $10.00 per day. Parking is $30-36 per day depending on vehicle size. The location is excellent. The Carousel Bar is very appealing and nice, however the street view was blocked for the entire time of my stay by construction repair equipment. Frankly for me the prettiest spot in the hotel was on the rooftop. The pool is small but adequate, there is a snack service till around 7:00 pm, and plenty of chairs. The view is spectacular. Sunset was a particularly nice time to sit up there. We went up one evening around 10:00 and were unceremoniously ushered out. When they close the pool, they close the whole rooftop. The fitness rooms were very well equipped and nice. The common rooms were attractively furnished and quite nice.

The desk staff and doormen were pleasant but not terribly useful when directions or information was sought. Apparently many are new arrivals to the City. The concierges were both helpful.

There was a bit of a downside. Housekeeping was not great. We found dark hair on our sheets the first night. The sheets also were very worn and had holes. The second day we found cracker packages and crumbs on our toothbrushes. Yuck! The beds are too soft and not terribly comfortable. Those with rooms below the 7th floor reported a lot of noise audible from the street.

2  Thank cmcfong
Reviewed 15 October 2007

I stayed her for a convention Oct.7 - 11th. The hotel is right in the French Quarter with restaraunts, bars, shops, art galleries, and antique shops close to the hotel.

Hotel highlights: perfect location, beautiful quaint lobby, carousel bar (center of bar rotates), garden rooftop pool, new fitness center, lavishly appointed bathrooms, historical charm (many writers over the last century have stayed at and wrote about the Monteleone - Ernest Hemingway, Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote, Steven Ambrose, among others).

Since it is an old hotel - the rooms are on the small size: you can think of it as "European style charm." The furnishings in the rooms are also more "antique style" versus the modern feel and look of a Marriott/Sheraton chain. Some people may like this others may not.

Great seafood and raw bars at Red Fish and Bourbon Street restaurants - all just a block from the hotel.

I highly recommend this hotel!

3  Thank eastosceola
Reviewed 9 October 2007

I stayed here just this past weekend; I loved the hotel and have nothing but positive things to say about it. The location was great for walking to Bourbon street. The staff was very kind and informative about all of our inquires. The beds were heaven and walls seem to be on the thick side-which is a plus. The only thing that was annoying was the plastic room key. We had to call for someone to let us in the rooms on more than one occation, but they were very prompt about coming to let us in. That alone will not deter me from visiting again.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends