New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #72 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Seattle, Washington
“Super stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here for three nights..Feb. 8-10. Check in was excellent. Fast and they placed us in a very quiet room. We were super close to everything. Great bar. Staff friendly.
Really enjoyed this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for quiet if you want to be away from street.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank drose12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
  • Turkish first
Waterton Lakes National Park, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed here for a couple nights just before Christmas, 2011 and I must say, I was not impressed. We checked into our room on the 31st floor and the first thing I did (as I always do now, when staying in a new hotel room) was to flip back the bed sheets... only to find dirty bed sheets. On top of that, the TV was not functioning properly, which my companions complained about.

Another complaint among my travel companions was the lack of "coffee supplies". Now, I'm not a coffee drinker and am not sure what was missing that prevented my companion from being able to make a cup of coffee in the morning, but he was not pleased.

Another comment I have was that relative to the size of the room, the bathroom and shower were incredibly small, and not really that well-maintained.

Considering the state of the room, I would have rather (in hindsight) stayed at a Motel 6 (which in my experience is usually as cleaner than this was) and saved some money.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Keith-B-Robinson
Chesterfield, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

First, let me say that the location is very good if you want to experience much of what makes New Orleans such an interesting and intriguing city. It's within easy walking distance of Bourbon Street, the French Quarter, the Casino, and, on a nice day, the Convention Center. So, the location is a real plus. Lots of nearby restaurants, including one of my favorites, the Palace Cafe (a Dickie Brennan establishment) as well. The lobby is large with a nice seating area in the center for relaxing or the informal meeting. An amenity that I find indispensible is a Starbucks in the lobby for that necessary early morning latte and muffin when I'm in a hurry.

Now the down side, while the rooms are pretty routine Marriott, issues in the bathroom drove me nuts. While showering, the tub didn't drain well, so I found myself standing in 3 or 4 inches of bathwater. If I wanted to take a bath...I would have taken a bath. I don't know if it's the New Orleans water or if the Marriott treats the water, but it is so extraordinarily soft that you need an extra 10 minutes in order to rinse off the soap scum. The weak water pressure in the sink made rinsing after shaving a real challenge. Again, not sure if this is a city water issue or a Marriott water treatment issue.

That being said, the staff was friendly and helpful as is the case in most Marriotts. It's one of the reasons I typically utilize the chain....predictable quality. But sometimes, even Marriott has some issues they need to address.

One last note. This Marriott has a very unique elevator system. Rather than punching your floor number on the panel, you enter the floor you desire on a key pad and it assigns you to one of elevators. Presumeably, this provides for efficient transport of people up and down the various floors. While it wasn't particularly crowded during my stay, I was typically whisked very quickly, with a minimum number of stops on my way to the 34th floor. Very impressive!

Room Tip: The view from the 34th floor is great if you don't mind staying on upper floors.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed there for a week long conference. Every day, I'd come back from meetings to a spotless room. The housekeeper went above and beyond, even putting away my shoes and arranging my makeup neatly on a towel in the bathroom.

The staff at the hotel was super friendly and always willing to help. I was on the 5th floor and it did get a little loud one night from a party happening on the third floor but it is NOLA after all.

Room Tip: Select Higher up rooms to get away from the meeting rooms and noisy street.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
La Jolla, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Stayed at this hotel February 10-13, 2012. I am a Marriott Rewards Silver Elite member and they handled everything very well even prior to my stay. I made the reservation but was not arriving until closer to 6pm. My best friend was arriving soon after 12 noon, and I wanted to ensure she could get into the room before I arrived. They added her to the room reservation, and everything went well.

We requested a room with two beds, which they were able to accomodate even though at the time of booking they were sold out. We upgraded to a corner room, and this was great - and worth the extra fee. We had a view of the river, the French Quarter and Canal Street. We also requested a fridge and this was provided.

At 6pm when I was checking-in, the Elite line only had one person working the line, and was taking just as long as the regular line - slightly annoying but I was on vacation, and the service when they helped me was great. Loved the chocolate I got when I check-in. Nice touch. When I had a quesiton during my stay I went to the same desk and they were very helpful, and gave me a later check-out the day I was leaving. Reception area was great.

Newspaper is only delivered Monday-Friday. Would have loved to have had a newspaper at the weekend - not a huge issue.

The elevators are quite funky with punching in the floor before the elevator arrives - but nice security touch. After a few drinks it was nice to gamble on whcih "letter" elevator would arrive. Corridors are long, but smell clean. Ice machine on the floor as well which was nice.

Rooms are older. It is an older hotel. Not run down - just older. Beds were comfortable, Bedside table was good. Desk and set of drawers. No in-room safe which surprised me. (GUess I should have read the hotel description better!). The bathroom is tiny and there is not much bench space. However, hot water was pleantiful, rain shower head, separate shampoo and conditioner, and replenished when used. As I was there to sleep, I did not mind, but not sure I would want to use it as a room to work in. Views from our room were to die for, and becasue we were on the 34th floor - not too much outside noise, but can see on the lower floors this could be an issue.

Breakfast was included in the room rate, and the buffet was very good - a bit of most things, and juice and coffee. Jewel was a wonderful server and my friend had a cold and ensured she got some ols style remedies into her. We shared our excess beads (only so many beads you want to take back home) with her on the Monday morning and she shared them with guests who did not get any beads during their stay (not sure where they were during the parades and guess they did not venture outside the hotel - becasue really beads are eveyrwhere!).

Location, location, location. Okay, so we were there for the Mardi Gras Lite - parades up Canal Street every couple of hours. Perfect location. And the Marriott Street bar has great red wine by the cup - $5! Mark and Ivo were great - and we got my wine and my friend's tequila there every night for the parades before venturing off into the night. Also, the shots of Zwack - wow! Never had it before, and I am normally one for shots, but it was good.

We had last been to New Orleans 17 years ago, and must say we were very disappointed in Bourbon Street. Music scene was not good and the strip bars everywhere, and the middle age men on the balconies who expected you to flash for beads - we did not flash and got many beads....but Bourbon Street is very seedy and has gone downhill since our last visit.

Went to Cafe Du Monde - and the cafe au lait is still good but the beignets are much smaller! This is not necessarily a bad thing for my waistline...K-Paul's was godd, but very different to last time. Enjoyed hte old ambience more as it was communal seating for meals, but food and wine selection was great. Grand Isle was great for raw oysters.

Royal Street is a real treat with great antique stores and great art! Music scene (local music I mean) is now on Frenchman's Street and both of htese are places where I wish to return. next time I will stay closer to this area.

But for Mardi Gras - Canal Street is hte place to be, and the Marriott is in an ideal locaiton.

Room Tip: Room 3433 is in the River Tower and is a corner room and is great as it is at the end of the corrido...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends