Prytania Oaks Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Prytania Park(New Orleans)
  • Restaurant
Henry Howard Hotel(New Orleans)
  • Bar/Lounge
Avenue Plaza Resort(New Orleans)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
The Hotel Modern(New Orleans)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgarden districtst charlessister hotelcontinental breakfastfrench quarterhigh ceilingshardwood floorsbed was comfortablestreetcar stopsafe areawithin easy walking distanceexcellent locationquiet neighborhoodwater pressurecab ridechecking inboutique hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Great place to stay in the garden district close to st Charles avenue for street car to French quarter. Loads of great places to eat and drink near by in both st Charles and magazine street. Room was lovely and clean and good size would stay again

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank nicsterscotland
Reviewed 23 March 2012

It's an old apartment house that's been converted into a semi-B&B.... For the price, I think you could be closer to the French Quarter, but it is in a great location in the Garden District and has easy access to the St. Charles trolley that will take you to all the places you'd want to go. Not bad, but building has issues with noise HVAC and the nicer of the two is the Prytania Park (not Oaks) which sits across street.

Room Tip: HVAC sits in back so get a room in front if you can.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Hombre-15
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2012

I am very sorry this guest did not completely enjoy their stay. The building , circa 1840's, once was a single family home with the slave quarters to the rear. Then, sometime in the mid 1960's, the owner of record that time, had converted it into a multiple room apt. building. We purchased it some years later, along with the next door property, and then converted them both into a 12 room and 4 room respectively Boutique style Hotel with a courtyard, and breakfast room.

With the renovation, we opted to install a "Chiller" system that provides a more "green" cooling environment. The only trade off, is it is a bit noisy at times. However, the beauty in the restoration of the Original Red Heart Pine plank floors, 14 ft ceilings w/ the Original Cypress millwork , and the Granite bathrooms far outweigh the "white" noise you may hear from time to time. The windows are Single paned and are original to the building. We are in an Historic District, and are under strict guidelines as to what we can and can not do on the exteriors of a building.

We offer a great value in our pricing structure, by the Free Parking (min $20/night savings) Free Wi-Fi and Hard Wired access, and Complimentary Breakfast. Even with all of this, our prices are at least 30-40 % less than the French Quarter prices on any given day. I am sure he checked this out before booking with us.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

From start to finish an excellent stay. Very friendly and helpful staff at the desk. The room was large and airy with high ceilings and a ceiling fan the operated at jsut the right speed to cool the room. The A/C worked wonderful and the bed was perfectly firm for me.

The breakfast slthough not extravagant was more than ample and the breakfast area was neat and clean with hardwood flooring and and tables. The only drawback was the slight walk from the parking lot around the corner to the hotel.

It was the perfect location to begin a walk in the Garden district and even a walk to the Commander's Palace for lunch or dinner. I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank lyellwood
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Loved my room...it felt like I was in my own bedroom with a window terrace to the street. It wasn't a main street so the traffic wasn't too bad--and I was at meetings most of the day. Close to local eateries, and about 10 blocks from the French quarter. Its a nice walkable mile to the convention center.
Only downside is that I flew in late and didn't realize I had to check-in at the Prytania before going to my hotel. So I had to drag my luggage back and forth.
There is no elevator to get to the 2nd floor rooms--which was fine for me but for the physically challenged should be aware.
Lovely staff.

Room Tip: FIRST check-in at the Prytaina around the corner.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ellebb
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We booked this on-line with never seeing it except for the pictures. The yellow building is the Oaks. And the gate in the front requires your room key to enter. We stayed for 6 days. Actually we were booked for 5 but got mixed up and showed up a day early. No Problem! They put us in the same room we'd reserved for our stay. Room 164 didn't have an internet signal so I spoke with the desk and we worked through it. They called the tech after they gave me an Ethernet cable and it failed. The tech guy fixed it and I stayed on the cable. It was fast and not a problem. We looked at moving to a different room but we liked the layout of 164. It had a lager vanity area in the bathroom and a tub/shower. Hey and the commode was maybe a handicap toilet because it sat higher. The 4 poster bed was very comfy, the armoire was large and the chest of drawers held a refrig and a microwave and coffee maker on top.
The Oaks is half a block from the morning breakfast but that wasn't a problem. They had yogurt, sweet rolls and cereal. Also juice, coffee and bagels. It wasn't lavish or hot but it was good for a start of the day.
We were 1 block away from the Mardi Gras parade route and really enjoyed the close proximity. We parked off the street in the Oaks lot.
The office staff was great at every opportunity. They offered ideas on eating and transportation. Our room was kept neat and tidy by the maid service. What's not to like!? We enjoyed the Prytania Oaks very much.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PATSYandSTAN A
Hotels3, Manager at Prytania Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Dear Guest,

I want to Thank You for your kind words, and your paitence while we worked through the internet access issue. This prompted us to order in a 3rd access point with an amlified range to get thru the lathe and plaster walls. It is going live today.

We do hope your 45th Wedding Anniversary trip was a memorable one, and that you will always think of New Orleans, and us when you reminisce about your Special Day.

Fondly,