“Great family restaurant in the French Quarter ”

The Original French Market Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Original French Market Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #245 of 2,093 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: USD 15 - USD 25
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Description: Twelve years before Andrew Jackson won the Battle of New Orleans, The French Market Restaurant & Bar began serving outstanding seafood and ice-cold drinks to visitors and natives alike. Today the ambience remains the same. Hot spicy crawfish, jumbo gulf shrimp, authentic Creole gumbo, red beans and rice as well as real Louisiana specialties are enjoyed with world-famous hurricanes, Cajun bloody Mary's, margaritas and our ice-cold local beers. Join the Marullo Family and Chef David Picou in savoring our grand traditions!
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Great food, great service, and delicious bread pudding! I highly recommend this restaurant!

Also, try the fire oysters and red fish...delicious!

OriginalFMR, Public Relations Manager at The Original French Market Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

And awesome customers! Thank you Julianne for such a kind review. We look forward to seeing you again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,298)

Reviewed 6 April 2018

The oysters are great. Baked or raw, and they are o more of less expensive than any other place in NOLA. The rest of the entrees, not so much. My blackened fish was really overcooked and my husband's cajun sampler was just ok.

Hi Gina, thank you for your review. So glad to hear you enjoyed the oysters, but I do wish everything had been more to your taste. I hope you will give us another chance to really impress you.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

For all the times I've been to New Orleans I've never eaten here. I guess I thought it might be too touristy but we were with another couple who wanted to try it so we did.
We're so glad we did.We actually came back twice to enjoy more of some of the scrumptious dishes we ate on our first day here. We sat on the balcony for our first visit and loved the view, the atmosphere and the food was spot on!! The best, I mean best grits I've ever had and I'm from the south. It's Crawfish season; the first time I've been to NOLA when they are IN season and couldn't believe the size of these things!! We loved every bite here. Our server Steph could not have been nicer - we had great service. Downstairs has an open Oyster shucking station; their oysters are great too! We didn't order a full blown entree; rather sides to share so we could enjoy more bites. For us; it was the way to go. They do not split checks, so keep that in mind. Many places in New Orleans won't split them but are accommodating when paying with 2 cards, if need be. When we come back to new Orleans this is a place we'll return to!!

OriginalFMR, Public Relations Manager at The Original French Market Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Oh Vinnie, the sweet things you say. Thank you so much for giving us a chance,finally. We are thrilled to hear we impressed you and we cannot wait to see you on your next visit. Come back soon!

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

So, so, yummy! Great atmosphere located in the French Quarter. The oysters were great. Enjoyed the alligator sausage po-boy and the fried oyster po-boy. Also had a really yummy lettuce wedge with blue cheese, red onion and fried oysters. The bayou plate was a sampler plate that featured their yummy red-beans and rice, the jambalaya, and corn Machu with grilled shrimp. All was very good but the jambalaya was a little dry for me but had excellent flavor. Good selection of beers available. Excellent service.

Yes, hubby and I ate here twice in two days...I guess that says it all.

OriginalFMR, Public Relations Manager at The Original French Market Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Thank you so much Jenny! What a wonderful review. So thrilled to hear you came twice in two days. We look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 30 March 2018

After a morning of walking through the French Market this was the perfect spot to sit on the balcony, sip a very refreshing drink (or two), eat wonderful shrimp, and enjoy awesome Bourbon Pecan Pie! The staff is also fabulous!

Oh gosh Kimberly, that does sound like a perfect day. So glad we could be part of it. Thanks for the review. We look forward to your next visit.