“Must Visit for Local Flavors!”
Review of Atchafalaya

Atchafalaya
Reserve with OpenTable
Atchafalaya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 2,105 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: USD 20 - USD 45
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Garden District
Cross street: Laural Street
Transit: Magazine Street and Louisiana Ave, Louisiana Ave and Tchoupitoulas Bus Stops.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Even vegetarians were happy, but the speciality of the house is local alligator and other odd but apparently tasty delights. Good service. Prices were as expected. Nice atmosphere. Wonderful diverse menu!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

The flavors in our two dishes were terrific. That's the up side. The down side is that we languished for three hours to get those two dishes. We felt like it was a hostage situation from which we were escaping by the time we got out. I'd also say that the prices for the dinner entrees do not strike me as "moderate". We went to a crawfish boil the next night, paid less than half the amount, and had a delicious and very fun time.

2  Thank Sherri R
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Wonderful garden district restaurant. We shared an appetizer, beats in a cloud, they were incredible. Also the turtle and alligator sausage gumbo was wonderful. We had the snapper special , cooked perfectly. The drinks and service were spot on, they never missed a beat.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We made a dinner reservation at Atchafalaya for my birthday to due the great reviews and recommendations. The food was excellent—we agree with all those glowing reviews 100%. Unfortunately, the service provided by Donna, our server, was so subpar, it was disappointing for a restaurant of this caliber. Every New Orleans restaurant we’ve been to, we were treated with heartwarming southern hospitality. Our server’s rude demeanor towards us ruined a perfectly delicious birthday dinner. Examples of unnecessary rudeness:
1. We informed her we were ready to order, she stopped us & said she would come back later. She wanders around to other tables & comes back around 10 minutes later.
2. She NEVER refilled our drinks. All our refills were done by her fellow server on the very few instances when she was not busy with her own tables. I watched as our server frequently stops by the 2 local tables to refill drinks while she ignores our table.
3. She brings us an empty bread basket sampler at first, then a great while later replaces it with another one.
4. We finished our meals & ask her for the check. She comes back a while later to hand me a dessert menu.
5. We were charged with items we did not order.

We understand that the restaurant was extremely busy during the time of our visit and this may cause the servers to be overwhelmed. However, we could not help but notice the difference in the way we were treated in comparison to the local tables. The other server was so much nicer, as well as the host.

As much as we love the food, I’m uncertain we would recommend this to family and friends since we don’t want them to receive the same treatment.

1  Thank dth4jc
Reviewed 29 March 2018

We had reservations for brunch for 4 people around 10:30 AM on a Sunday morning. As with most places, we needed the entire party to be present until we could be seated. The inside is very charming and styled like someone's home. It's very airy and warm, and the live jazz band only added to the lovely ambiance. There was also a very impressive spread with both red and green tomato juice for a Blood Mary bar by the front door (unfortunately, I am not a fan). When we sat down, our waiter (incredibly friendly and attentive throughout the meal) gave us the heads up that the kitchen was pretty backed up - the place was packed inside and out - so food may take a little longer than usual.

I ordered the Duck Hash ($17), per the recommendation of my tablemates. We waited about 20-30 mins for our food to arrive, but in the meantime, we enjoyed the atmosphere and sipped the deliciously strong coffee, which was refilled regularly (much appreciated). The presentation of the duck hash was very impressive and inviting. The dish was flavorful, although admittedly, I wasn't really able to taste the individual ingredients - so everything blended well, but possibly a little too much (for instance, I completely forgot there were berries in it). It was the perfect amount of food for a very hungry person (me).

All in all, a little pricey, but from the atmosphere to the food, it was possibly one of my top 5 favorite brunches I've been to (and NYC and Philly have really strong brunch scenes!).

FOOD: 4/5
ENVIRONMENT: 5/5
SERVICE: 5/5
VALUE: 4/5
OVERALL: 4.5/5