“Wonderful food and purpose”
Review of Cafe Reconcile

Cafe Reconcile
Ranked #236 of 2,093 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Food was perfectly New Orleans cuisine. Plenty to eat at the buffet and well done for anyone’s appetite. Also served to bring the youth into a well taught career in food hospitality. Worth every minute of your time.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

I had tried gumbo all over New Orleans and didn't find one that reminded me of my fathers gumbo. A friend who lives in New Orleans had told us about Cafe Reconcile and how it gave at risk youth not just job skills but it gave them leadership training and pride of place. We finally got there one afternoon in October and were seated at place with a sunny window and our server immediately came over to bring us water. We noticed a rather shy young man was being mentored by a more seasoned worker. She was giving him encouragement and when he came over to take our order he was polite and really present. I ordered a cup of gumbo which was some of the best I had while in New Orleans. For my meal I ordered Grilled Catfish and for my two sides I got Collard greens with pork and smothered okra with shrimp. My Catfish was cooked to perfection and my vegetables were so yummy I wanted more.I had also gotten a vegetable salad because often I don't get enough veggies not so this time. The portions were great. My husband and friend who is a local really enjoyed their catfish Po-Boys and I shared my Garden Salad. I watched as they dived into the dessert, which was Banana's Foster Bread Pudding. From the sighs and sounds of pleasure I could tell the bread pudding was excellent. I was impressed and glad to find a restaurant of this caliber being run with such integrity and spirit. When I come back to New Orleans I will definitely come here again.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

The Cafe Reconcile Restaurant has the right idea. The3y teach young people about the restaurant business while serving delicious New Orleans food!

Reviewed 18 January 2018

I booked a group of 20 hungry students and teachers to visit Cafe Reconcile -- and then I brought the group on the wrong day! (If you've ever worked in a restaurant, you know how big a disruption this can be.) I was mortified by my mistake, but Glenda stepped forward, took charge of getting our group seated, and checked back in often during our meal to make sure we felt welcome and cared for. And what a meal it was: delicious food, served with smiles and laughs from a terrific waitstaff! (Do not miss the bread pudding.)

I've never felt well taken care of at any restaurant -- never mind at one whose mission is so admirable and successful. It was a wonderful meal, but I am most grateful for the new friends I made there. Thank you Glenda, Jeffrey, Chef Joe, and all at Cafe Reconcile!

1  Thank Dennis Q
Reviewed 21 November 2017

Heard about this wonderful concept and just had to give it a try -- pretty much non-profit eatery (lunches only weekdays) that trains local youth for careers in the food industry -- while offering great lunches to boot. Priced nicely and served in a warm atmosphere. Staff is very very accommodating and totally courteous.

1  Thank Stew S