“Fabulous Brunch”
Review of Dante's Kitchen

Dante's Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Dante's Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #272 of 1,997 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: USD 30 - USD 40
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Cross street: Leake Avenue
Transit: 2 Blocks from the St. Charles streetcar line where it meets Carrollton. Get off at the very next stop (at Maple Street & Carrollton) and walk two blocks down Maple Street towards the river until it intersects with Dante Street. We are at the end of the street where Dante meets Leake Avenue.
Reviewed 23 September 2010

We went on a Sunday morning for brunch. We wanted to make reservations, but you could not for brunch. They have a lovely waiting area outside with tables. When we put our name on the list, they took a drink order and then brought it outside to us. Nice size mimosa's made with Gruet champagne. I think that we got there early enough that we had to wait less than 5 minutes.
We ordered the Biscuits with butter & jam for appetizer - I wanted to purchase the jam from them it was so good (had to be homemade).
The waitress was very attentive and friendly. I asked her opinion on which of two items to order and she told me what she thought and I was not disappointed with her suggestion. My husband ordered the Dante Omelette and thought it was wonderful - ate every bit of it. I had the steak and eggs with hash-browns and it was very yummy.
The only negative is that it was a little loud in the room we were in, but that would never stop us from going back. I felt like we were part of the local scene at this restaurant and I can't wait until we return to NOLA so I can eat here again.

1  Thank PlanoTxMember

Reviewed 8 September 2010

This is a great little restaurant at the end of the St. Charles Streetcar line. Brunch on the weekend was great, and yet very casual: shorts and nice shirt are fine! This is a great spot for an excursion outside of the Quearter!

Reviewed 19 July 2010

I recently took my 22-year-old son and his girlfriend to Dante's Kitchen, and all of us thoroughly enjoyed our dinner there. Our cocktails (including my Sazerac) were the best we encountered during this particular visit to NOLA, and every morsel we ate was delectable. We ordered an assortment of appetizers, small plates and large plates, plus several of the vegetable side dishes, followed by dessert. Everything we ordered was innovative in some way, and delicious, although the "large" plates were a tad smaller than we'd expected. We'd been concerned about maybe having ordered too many side dishes, but after the large plates arrived, we were glad to have all those sides to accompany them. The wait staff were welcoming yet professional, and we never had the feeling that we were being rushed, even though the restaurant filled up shortly after we arrived.

1  Thank texastrekker66
Reviewed 11 June 2010

went there right from the airport for brunch...had to go back the next day for more ...YUM!!!! had the brioche french toast and then both specials( worchestershire pulled pork and blackened hake and eggs)...I'll be back!!!!!

1  Thank maestromuffin
Reviewed 19 May 2010

For years and years, Dante's has been one of my favorite restaurants; I would extol their virtues to guests and tourists alike. Whenever someone came in from out of town, we would plan either a Commander's brunch (weekdays) or a Dante's brunch (weekends).

Why the nostalgia? Because I've eaten here multiple times recently, and it's been disappointing. Dante's is a place that built up a reputation, and they're messing with the formula, and I don't appreciate what it's done to the restaurant experience or the food quality.

First of all- the menu change. Dante's has always had two menus, one for Saturday and Sunday Brunch, and one for Dinner. Both were inventive and interesting, with the Dinner menu being more adventurous and the Brunch menu being more affordable. (Dante's has started opening for Lunch- in all honesty I have never had lunch at Dante's, and I will not comment on that experience.)

Recently the dinner menu has been changed, Dante's is moving from entrees to "tasting plates"; whereas before the menu was your bog-standard "Appetizer/Entree/Dessert", with prices to match, now it contains many cheaper options with far reduced portions. The net change has been an increase in price and a (somewhat obvious) decrease in food cost for the restaurant. Though the (much lamented) grilled yellowfin Tuna hasn't been on the menu since 2005, popular standbys like Rack of Lamb, Gulf Fish Amandine, Redfish "on the half shell" (with lump crab) and Trois Mignons (medallions of Filet Mignon) have been replaced with items like Duck Cassoulet and Seared Scallops. The waiter recommends you "try a few entrees, and maybe share amongst the table"; when your entrees arrive you quickly realize why, because portion sizes have become much smaller. Costs have reduced slightly, but not enough to make up for the decreased portions. Now the most expensive menu option is the Chicken roasted under a brick, which used to be one of the cheapest items.

The brunch is still a good experience, but prices have increased and now it's more of a luxury than an impulse option. They have made some changes to the brunch menu, replacing the decadent and rich Bread Pudding French Toast with a cheaper to make Brioche French Toast at the same price, they've decreased portion sizes on the Eggs Benedict, Seafood Cakes (now made with more fish and less crab) and Shrimp and Grits (with smaller shrimp).

Don't get me wrong- Dante's is a good restaurant. But it's not a great restaurant. And I don't think it's worth the price anymore.

3  Thank ungarsfragile