“Good ”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #39 of 2,085 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: USD 30 - USD 80
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Garden District
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is classic and the food was good. But you are definitely paying for the name. We enjoyed the service and the dessert.

Write a ReviewReviews (8,288)

Reviewed 6 April 2018

This is one of the best restaurants I've ever. I am never disappointed. You are always in for a signature flavor experience that you've never imagined. This year we went for Easter brunch and it was such a pleasure. Great food, wonderful atmosphere and professional service.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

While we enjoyed the experience here, unfortunately the food was just not at the anticipated level we had hoped for. No major complaints, just maybe overly high expectations on our part.

The experience here is lovely --Elegant style, lovely presentation, and old world charm.
That being said, I have to say that their "Sidecar" was one of the best that I have had in a long time. This stands out in that too often when I order it at other places, I have to send it back because of it not being made correctly. However, at Commander's Palace, it was wonderful.

We had the combo/fixed prix 3 course dinner. The complementary Hot Roll/Bread with sculptured butter was lovely, and replenished without having to ask for it. Through out the meal the staff was totally attentive to our table needs.
For the opening course, the Turtle soup was rich and nice. The Strawberry salad was also nice, but not anything extraordinary.
For the Entree, we then had 2 orders of Grilled Striped Bass. Crisp skin -lovely, but otherwise not fabulous. While my wife really liked their house chardonnay with her fish, I was a little disappointed in the recommended Albert Bischot Secret de Famille Pinot Noir French Burgundy that was listed as the suggested wine on the menu to accompany the Grilled Stripped Bass. I really do enjoy good wine and proper pairings, unfortunately, it just did not work for me. Realizing that CP has a Wine Spectator Grand Award for the past 6 years, it must have been my palate, or just an off bottle. It can happen, so you might want to ask to taste before the full pour (2 choices: 6 oz --which is the one I had-- or the 3oz ) is done for you to ensure that your palate and the wine works.

For the dessert (from the available ordered menu -- if you wish one of the 2 specialties, they have to be ordered in advance + extra service charge --), if you are a bona fide chock-a-holic you might really like the Chocolate Bar for dessert. It was a bit on the sweet fudge style, so beware if that is not to your taste. If it is, ENJOY.

Would like to offer 2 additional Suggestions:
1) You really MUST make a reservation, which should be made well in advance of your visit to New Orleans. And when you seek to make your reservation do it via a telephone call to ensure that you are able to get a reservation. Do not rely on Open Table or other forms of reservation getters. Initially we tried several times to get a reservation on line and were unsuccessful at each attempt. A direct phone call from me to Commander's Palace worked, and we were able to get in for the day and exact time that we wanted!

2) Also make sure you have their name/telephone number on your smartphone as they will call to confirm your reservation on the day you are scheduled to be there. However, it may show up only as a number from New Orleans (area code 504) and not show up as C.P on your Caller ID unless you have it listed. When they called I let it go to voice mail since I did not recognize the number and thought it was a Robo Call. It then took 10+ minutes on hold to connect to a live person after hearing the message.

On another note, there is often the mention of roving Jazz musicians kicking up the total experience. Unfortunately, during the time (6PM to 7:30 PM) we were there in the main dining room, none passed through during our dinner Maybe we were too early and they came through after we left.

If you are in N.O. for the first time, most people who have been here over the years (as well as locals you might know in NO) will strongly suggest that you go here. This was said to us by numerous friends and relatives who had been here before, or who lived in NO. Locals also go there to celebrate special events (as was a multi-generational Birthday party family dinner at the adjoining table from us).

Commander’s Palace was nice, but unfortunately for us, our total experience just was not at the level that we had anticipated/hoped for. When compared to some of our other wonderful culinary experiences in NO, since this was to be our last dinner experience here, maybe we expected too much. Hopefully your experience will have you leaving there with bigger smiles.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We think the best lunch in NOLA.

Beautiful old home in the Garden District. Service is perfect.

Great food. First, the complimentary garlic bread is outstanding.

For appetizers and entrees, had the soup 3 ways and the beignets. Entrees were the chicken salad and the beef tournandos. Both very well prepared.

BTW. Don’t skip the soufflé or the $.25 martinis.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

This place is very impressive in regards to ambiance, the view and the service. I was not overly impressed with the food. I have to admit that I was not feeling well as soon as I got there, so that probably effected my opinion. I had the trio of soups and I think the Gumbo was best. My husband had the turtle soup and thought it was great until they poured the sherry into it. We both loved the garlic bread! I ordered the Corn Fried Oyster Salad, which I thought was good, but was starting to feel so sick I couldn't finish. I loved the salad and the dressing. I'm not sure if I am a fan of fried oysters. My husband had the Jerk Spice Muscovy Duck, which he thought was very tasty, but all the veggies on the side were bland or under cooked, especially the plantain. We both thought the bread pudding was overly sweet, but we had to give it a try. Overall I'm sad I wasn't feeling well and able to enjoy the full experience. Maybe we'll try again in our next visit.

1  Thank hopey33