“What a lucky find”

Ranked #113 of 2,142 Restaurants in New Orleans
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Arts District – Warehouse District
Reviewed 14 May 2018

My husband and I flew in on a Friday night and had a show to get to at the Republic at 8pm, so we wanted to find something nearby. We walked there from our hotel on Canal St and it was definitely away from all the FQ craziness. He had researched the Butcher and the Restaurant, and we figured we would go to the butcher, since it was a quicker and we had no reservations. We popped into the restaurant just to check it out, were told the wait was 35 minutes and went outside to debate what to do. We were outside for possibly 30 seconds when the host scurried out and said she had a table opening up. So we really lucked out. I would recommend a reservation for this place and it is worth it! It is a pork-focused menu and it was all fantastic. My husband got a local beer and I had the Black Magic Woman. I am not a big cocktail drinker, but this one was divine and quite sippable. We shared the macaroni and cheese, the chicken livers, and the cochon entrée dish. The fried chicken livers were hands down my very favorite and I am still thinking about them. It was an excellent flavor combination with the crispy livers, the perfect pepper jelly, and the toast. It was garnished with mint, which was the perfect touch. The mac was a casserole style and just stunningly delicious--great flavor and consistency, perfect noodles. The cochon was much different than what you would get at Jazz Fest. But it was amazing. A perfectly crunchy and flavorful piece of shredded pork, served with pickled turnips and cabbage, and cracklins---SWOON! What a perfect dish. The desserts all sounds amazing but we were too stuffed. Next time. Great flavor and texture combinations all around and excellent service. Will definitely be back!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,235)

Reviewed 12 May 2018

As you eat your way through NOLA, be sure to hit Cochon. I loved that it was located away from the madness of the French Quarter. Service is attentive, warm and welcoming. The salad with picked pears was okay(a bit too vinegar-y for my taste) but the real prize was the special grilled pork chop which was tender and flavorful. More than enough for 2. Ambience is casual but energetic.

Reviewed 7 May 2018

What a great recommendation! We were only in town for 1 day, and a close friend suggested I check this place out before heading out. We visited on a Tuesday afternoon just before the lunch rush. We opted to sit outside because it was such a beautiful day, which was a bit noisy because of the street traffic, but it was still quite enjoyable. We started off with cocktails, the "Black Magic Woman" and a local beer. Both great options and the cocktail was made to perfection. For entrees I went with the Rabbit & Dumplings $23, which was my first time trying rabbit. It was absolutely delicious! The flavor of the dish was very impressive, and the rabbit taste very similar to chicken in my opinion. We also ordered the fried alligator with chili garlic mayonnaise. Also my first experience. The sauce was not a great as we expected, but the gator itself wasn't bad at all. The service was absolutely incredible! From the moment we walked in until the time we left, the staff were all very friendly and helpful, not only to us, but to surrounding guests as well. I would certainly recommend this place to anyone visiting the area.

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

Good food, service a bit slow but that gave us a chance to visit with the people seated next to us. It’s close quarters so bear in mind if you have any issues with that. We enjoyed but busy so go early.

Reviewed 6 May 2018

Heard great things about Cochon (and Cochon Butcher). Got there a minute early for reservation and had to wait in the bar. Got a chance to see the room and see what folks at the bar were eating. Got us really hungry. We were being led to our table and realized that there was an entire other section of the restaurant and it was huge. Service was good and they helped us to make good selections. they offered a selection of sodas I had never seen before. Turns out they are British and I have been able to find them all over. The name is Fentiman's and they are all really good and mostly unusual - Curious Cola (reminds me a little bit of Chinotto), Rose Lemonade, Burdock and Dandelion. We tried a variety of dishes and were happy with everything. The server recommended the Mac and cheese for a side and they were right about that. Tried Crawfish Pie for the first time and it was good (said the guy who will eat anything)