“Outstanding Food”

Cuisines: Deli
Neighbourhood: Arts District – Warehouse District
Neighbourhood: Arts District – Warehouse District
Reviewed 1 February 2017

This place was a great find. It is unique and interesting. This is the type of off the beaten path places that I love. We liked this place so much that we returned the next day to have lunch again. The first time we had a cheeseburger po boy, muffuleta, a side of pasta and a side of greens. We were told that the next day they would have seafood so we went back. Had fried fish, shrimp ettoufee, and a side of potato salad. Everything was delicious. These people really know how to cook some great food. It is not particularly easy to find, but well worth the effort. There are only 3 tables so if you want indoor seating get there early.

Reviewed 13 May 2016

I used to hate red beans and rice but theirs was outstanding! My wife had a great chicken salad sandwich. There are 3 tables to sit at. The people are friendly and delightful. A great deal especially for those with a limited budget.

Reviewed 18 December 2015 via mobile

This is not your New York style deli. This is an New Orleans original all unto it's own. It's whatever you want it to be. It can be where you pickup a pre-made sandwich or snacker on the run. It can be your blueplate special place. You can get your meat and two here if that's your thing. On Mondays you can get your traditional red beans. On Thursdays you can get a burger. You can order the "Tyler" sandwich any day off the secret menu and see what ensues. It's a general store if you need it to be. You can buy chips, cookies, buttermilk drops, an ice cream bar, a cup of coffee with free chicory for artists, a Mexican coke, a newspaper, dry beans, Tylenol, t-shirt, calendar, eyeglasses repair kit, a screwdriver and other tools. It's a unique place to say the least, which is why I go just about everyday. Which reminds me, you should never look Brian directly in the eyes. Why? Don't ask, just don't do it. Always ask Elenore what she recommends for lunch today. And don't give David a hard time, he has to work with the other two all week. Martha is as sweet as her name suggests and her sister Melanie can surprise you with some of her stories, say something nice or strike up a conversation when they ring you up at the front.

Whatever you do, don't forget the tip jar. It's a voluntary donation for the entertainment.

But seriously, if you want a good meal at a reasonable price in a unique and fun atmosphere, then you should try this place out. Seriously, if you want a sandwich you should order the "Tyler."

Reviewed 29 October 2015

Love this place. I can taste the love in the food. Most affordable and service can't be beat. Located in an old hardware store there there are still items you may find on the wall. Even after being away for up to six months at a time, they still remember my name upon my return. Always offers a variety of entrees and sides. It a cozy place so be nice.

Reviewed 28 July 2015

We were visiting the National WW2 Museum and were ready for lunch. Didn't want to eat at the museum restaurant, so I looked up sandwich shops in the area. This was at the top of the list. And a five minute walk from the museum!

So we walked over. Boy, are we glad we did. It's a little store that had a little bit of everything. But in the back was where the magic happens. My sons didn't know what to order, so David suggested the Meaty, Cheesy Pasta. The boys were really happy with that choice. My wife and daughter shared a pre-wrapped turkey sandwich from the cooler. They loved it. My lunch highlight of our two-week trip was here-- a pork roast po' boy. Everything was perfect about this sandwich, from the bread to the gravy. Nothing could be improved. And David the crew were wonderful. Had a great conversation the 25 minutes we were there. The whole family ate lunch with chips and sodas for less that $25.