“An interesting experience on a paddlewheeler”

Creole Queen Mississippi River Cruises
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Creole Queen is an authentic paddlewheeler that takes guests on day and night cruises for a totally different view of the Crescent City from the Mississippi River.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We took a dinner cruise and chose this boat because our resort gave us a $18.00 discount coupon off the $144 regular price. We bought the tickets early in the day in order to avoid any lines later. We got to the gangplank in the first dozen people and when they started boarding we were told we needed boarding passes !!! I had to run back to the ticket booth stand in line for 20 minutes before getting the passes, the person there was the same as when we bought the tickets just said sorry when I complained that we should have got thes passes when we paid. As a result we were only able to get a poorer table location as all the others had been taken by earlier guests.
The buffet style food choice was mediocre, and not hot, the salads soggy and the brisket dry. The best part was the bread pudding which was very good.
The Jazz band was excellent and had a great repertoire also the table service for wine and drinks was first class.
We enjoyed the after dinner seating on the upper decks looking at the lights of New Orleans.
Overall I am not sure that the trip was worth the money, but the experience of being on a paddlewheeler certainly was.
There is another paddlewheeler Nachez, I think the next time we will try that.

1  Thank rossbet
Write a ReviewReviews (1,643)

Reviewed 20 October 2013

It was a fun ride with great city views and good food. Plenty of space and the band was very entertaining.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

This was a great night,if you go take the earlier setting,were finished with dinner and had to leave the boat right after,no time to sit and chat a bit!The buffet was great,especially the fish!!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We took the evening dinner cruise hoping to get some good food, good music, and scenery. Well, we didn't get good food. It was passable at best. The beef brisket was tough enough to be almost like Beef Jerky. The Caesar Salad was starting to wilt. The Gumbo I could not eat. However, the Red Beans and Rice were good enough for me to have seconds. The rest of the food was just OK. The music was no better. They had a 3 piece jazz band. Unfortunately, the trumpet player missed so many notes that it was hard to listen to and he played all during dinner. His singing was better, sounded similar to Louis Armstrong. They played upstairs later in the evening and we made sure to be on the other side of the boat. I agree with another reviewer that the music over the intercom (in the interim) should have been good New Orleans jazz but instead was just a bunch of songs unrelated in style. We were with two other couples and they felt exactly the same as I. The boat ride itself was nice. The weather was perfect. I like to see the city lights at night.
I wish I would have taken the cruise in the daytime, without the food and music. For $72 a person, it was NOT worth it. If you want to go at night, eat dinner first and pay $32 less for just the boat ride.

1  Thank Dolores B
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We enjoyed our trip up the Mississippi on the Creole Queen to the Chalmette National Park, the site of the last battle in the War of 1812. The captain did a great job describing the sights along the waterfront, including descriptions of all the huge ships that were on the river. We were looking forward to learning more about the battle but only had about 20 minutes at the site. The park ranger did a great job but it would have been more enjoyable if we'd had a bit more time.

We loved hearing the "Battle of New Orleans" as we arrived at the park..."In 1814 we took a little trip along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip..."

2  Thank KathleenC82