“Fun and delicious!”

Crescent City Cooks
Reviewed 11 January 2018

My husband, almost six year old daughter and I took a hands-on cooking class with Lynn last week in NOLA. I can't say enough positive things about Lynn. She was a warm, funny, knowledgeable, and talented teacher -- great with adults and kids alike. We learned how to make jambalaya, gumbo and beignets, and even learned some basic knife skills in the process. (At 43 years old, I finally know how to properly dice an onion!) Crescent City Cooks even froze our gumbo so that we could enjoy it at home. What a treat to bring a taste of NOLA and a memory of this wonderful class home with us. The only minor disappointment (for the adults anyway) was our somewhat failed attempt at making homemade beignets. We still had a lot of fun trying, and our daughter seemed to like our failed beignets better than those at Cafe Du Monde.

All reviews
"learned how"
in 12 reviews
"great cooking"
in 7 reviews
"creole and cajun cooking"
"private class"
"learning how"
in 3 reviews
"great fun"

Reviewed 9 January 2018

This was our 2nd visit to Crescent City Cooks. We shopped in their store during our stay in New Orleans January 2017, and it was then that I saw they also offered cooking classes. I love NoLa cuisine and thought if I ever had the opportunity to return, I would sign up for the class. Thankfully my husband and I did return last week and we signed up for a Demonstration with Lynn. We had a wonderful time! The dishes Lynn cooked for us were some of our favorites...Jambalaya, Chicken and Andouille Gumbo, and Bread Pudding with Raisins & Rum sauce! (each class differs, so check their calendar and pick your own favorite). The room for the class was very spacious and comfortable. A relaxed, casual and homey setting. The recipes for each dish are provided at the beginning so you can follow along and make notes as you go. Lynn was very entertaining. She is a Louisiana native with lots of family stories and knowledge of Louisiana history. We learned so much from her about the culture of NoLa and the flavors in its cuisine. We enjoyed full servings of each dish, plus a freshly made Praline to take home! (And 10% discount on any items in their shop!) We would definitely recommend this to anyone.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

We booked the Crescent City Cooks for a company team building event. We had 5 cooking stations and learned how to create 3 wonderful recipes. What made the instructors so great were their helpful attitudes, interest in making our experience memorable and hands on direction. They made everything fun! I have been to several cooking schools globally and this one ranks right up there. Even inexperienced cooks will enjoy the experience because you eat what you cook and that part was AMAZING!

Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

Attended the demonstration with my daughter. Could not have enjoyed it more! The food was delicious, the demonstration was perfect and the chefs were intersting and entertaining. Can’t recommend it enough. It’s s must do while in NOLA!

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 January 2018

At the very last minute, my husband and I signed up for a cooking demonstration which featured seafood gumbo, crawfish etouffee, pralines and bananas foster. Not only do you get to learn how to make these amazing Louisiana recipes, but you get a history lesson and get to eat at the end. Holy mackeral--it was truly a highlight of our trip. While I would normally have signed up for the hands-on class, I don't think we missed that much by attending the demonstration class. If you sit in the front row, you can pretty much see what the instructor is doing, plus there's a large TV monitor over the main stove and secondary burner (don't miss that screen--it's to the right!). Lynn was a great, enthusiastic instructor and it was really a kick to see her in action. I would absolutely doing this again and definitely sit in the front row. Perhaps since it was December and chilly in the kitchen, they also served coffee for our morning class which was so much appreciated.