“Excellent start to the trip!”

The Ruby Slipper Cafe
Ranked #34 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: USD 8 - USD 15
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: A neighborhood cafe specializing in Breakfast, Lunch & Brunch. Breakfast served all day, every day! Conveniently located in the Central Business District, one block from the Canal Streetcar line, and just steps to the French Quarter and Warehouse District.
Reviewed 12 December 2017

This was our first stop to grab some food and drink when we arrived on a Saturday. Easy walk from the hotel, offered drinks while we waited outside, quickly seated for a weekend. Excellent food! Bloody Mary wasn't quite as good as expected/hoped.

rubyslippercafe, Social Media at The Ruby Slipper Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2017

Thank you, Courtney! We are so glad that we were your first stop in Nola and that you enjoyed it! Hope you can visit again and that the Bloody Mary is excellent as it should be. Cheers!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,730)

Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

The Ruby Slipper Café was recommended to me for our recent trip. My husband and I visited the Magazine St. location with a co-worker around noon on a weekday while in town for a conference.

I can't write a glowing review but our experience was not terrible.

The wait quoted was 25-30 minutes, but we waited closer to 45 minutes. I wasn't surprised as I'd heard it was a popular spot and we should get there early, which we didn't. There is no indoor waiting area, so you stand outside on the corner. The weather in New Orleans is often great, so no big deal, but keep this in mind if it's raining, cold, etc. Servers frequently came outside asking everyone if they would like to order a cocktail to drink while waiting (remember alcohol can be carried/consumed on the street).

One seated, we were greeted quickly by our waiter who was friendly, if a little overly concerned about whether we wanted to order cocktails.

We ordered right away and our beverages came quickly but it took some time for the food. I ordered the French Toast Batons (French toast rectangles covered in cinnamon basically). I can't say they were good. They seemed dry and were tough. They were absolutely coated with cinnamon, which I considered a good thing when ordering as there can never be enough cinnamon, but they were somehow not very flavorful at all. I had sides of bacon and grits, which were both good. I sampled my friend's corned beef hash, which I also liked.

My husband and friend both ordered pancakes, which they enjoyed along with the "candy bacon" (bacon covered with brown sugar I believe...too sweet for me despite my love of cinnamon). The candy bacon was a HUGE hit.

My friend and I also ordered mimosas. Beware these are $10 each. However, they are huge and mine at least was delicious.

We didn't see much of our waiter and had to ask twice for water refills.

I can't say we had a bad meal here, even though I didn't like the French Toast Batons. Overall it was not terrible and they do make a good mimosa. If we go back to New Orleans, though, I may have to negotiate with my husband whether we go back. He'll want to because of the candy bacon but I'm not sure I was impressed enough to wait with the crowds and figure out something new to order.

Thank you for the review, Leslie! We are sorry to hear your visit was less than exceptional as that is what we strive for. We will pass the feedback to the manager about the French Toast Batons - they should not be tough and should be flavorful and the waiter - they should have been back frequently to check on you. We are glad that the rest of your meal was enjoyed and we do hope you and your husband will give us another chance the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

I don’t know how they do it but they keep the best tasting coffee HOT in Ruby Slipper coffee mugs. Great food, best service in town.

Thanks so much, ShiBear! We are glad to hear that you love the French Truck Coffee and the food and service. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 7 December 2017

Really enjoyed breakfast here. Crowded every time but that says a lot. Service was good and staff was friendly. Great food and drinks. Would eat here every morning.

rubyslippercafe, Social Media at The Ruby Slipper Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2017

Thanks for the great shoutout, Larry! We are so glad you enjoy your experience every time and look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 7 December 2017

There always seems to be a 15-20 minute wait, but it's well worth it. We both had omelets which were excellent, but I truly wanted 5 different things on the menu... Their coffee is some of the best I've ever had, and I bought a bag to bring home.

Thank you, 4Nomads17! We hope to see you again so you can try the other 4 things on the menu that you wanted! We love French Truck Coffee too! Cheers!