“Chef Nina Compton opens second grand location”

Bywater American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Bywater American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #681 of 2,093 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighbourhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Neighbourhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Open less than a month, chef Nina Compton brings her wonderful talent to the Bywater of New Orleans. From Tommy's greeting at the front, to Crystal's magic at the bar (after all she did work with the amazing Abigail at chef's original Compere Lapin- oh she does a great Sazerac, especially the cognac recipe), to Molly's expert service and guidance through the menu, everything spoke the highest quality without a sign of opening jitters. Husband Larry Miller graces the dining room with such an inviting and welcoming presence. This is a must-visit restaurant without a doubt.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Everything was refreshing and delicious! A hidden gem just outside of touristy area. It has a bit of Caribbean fusion. Highly recommend the okra side dish, crab fat rice, and shrimp salad.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Stopped by while in town visiting. The whole staff were very pleasant and friendly. Wine and cocktail options provide a choice for everyone. The menu has a nice variety to choose from. They’re not trying too hard but deliver unique twist to the items. While simple, the Gem salad was great, nice mix of texture and flavor and enough to share between two. I didn’t know what to expect with the chilled potato and leek soup but was surprised by the combo of texture. Last, the ricotta agnolotti was a nice, light option. I will say, the one minor critique, based on my own preferences, is that the soup and agnolotti could use a slight bump of spice.

Overall, very good!

1  Thank Jacob R
Reviewed 26 March 2018

My dining companion and I walked in just after 6pm with no reservation and were seated at the bar. There were open tables but apparently reserved. No biggie at all, we didn't mind, I am perfectly comfortable at a bar. And the bar is around the kitchen so it was fun to watch what was going on. We ordered a bottle of Mother Rock, a white blend from South Africa that was really good. Unfiltered and mineral-ly and lemony, so it went well with the dishes we ordered. A good portion of the small wine list was right around $50/bottle. We were seated next to the chef/owner of another popular place in town and I only mention that to say they sent her out some lagniappe that she couldn't eat so she shared with us, very cool. She also shared her bread and lard butter with truffles that kicked butt. So what we ordered....we started with the crab salad which was killer. I'm not huge on the lavash/flatbread but it worked. Next up we got the smoked ricotta Agnolotti with sunchokes...this was really good too! For an entree we shared the steamed snapper with broccoli rabe which was very good. It had a nice Crystal Hollondaise sauce. We finished off with the daily trip of sorbet. All that for $116 which I thought was pretty darn good!