All reviews hot springs horseback riding great place rooms are basic natural setting spa services san jose hour drive sports bar surrounded by nature both nights customer service is body wrap wet bar love this place nice buffet bring a flashlight
Reviewed 16 October 2017

In August 2017, just as the rainy season began in Costa Rica, I went to hotel Termales del Bosque and did what I had done repeatedly on other occasions: I walked back from the hot springs to our room. That street is dark and I was attacked by a Terciopelo serpent (genus Bothrops), which is one of the most poisonous in the world.

The management of hotel Termales del Bosque was not even kind enough to call me and, still today, they have not put up signs warning the guests who visit the hot springs about the danger the snakes pose in that area. I should have sued them, but that is not what we Ticos do, but I do feel compelled to tell all future hotel guests about this danger. They claim that I was the first person bitten by a snake, but I know first hand that I am not the first person to encounter a snake in hotel Termales del Bosque.

I was very lucky because in under an hour after the snake bite, I had already received anti-ophidic serum at the San Carlos hospital. This serum saved my life. In addition, care at CCSS hospitals is excellent. What’s common with these kind of snake bites around the world, if the people survive, is to spend 2 to 3 months hospitalized and lose the limb which was bitten. After a week I had a strong allergic reaction to the serum and it took more than 2 months for the wound on my ankle to heal, the snake bite left a gaping hole which took a very long time to close.

Costa Rica is a world producer of anti-ophidic serum and that is why I received such good attention. Costa Rican physicians are used to handling this type of emergency and they do it with great effectiveness. However, the pain is intense and prolonged: it is one of the worst that one can suffer.

I hope this note forces hotel Termales del Bosque to light the street leading to the hot springs and also to alert its guests of the danger of snake bites. Due to my large stature, and to the fact that I received prompt attention, the bite did not have serious consequences, but if the snake had attacked a child, they would have possibly died.

Personally, I will not walk on a street that’s not properly lit again, and I hope the management of hotel Termales del Bosque installs a light on the street and also puts up warning signs to prevent others from having an experience similar to mine.

Room Tip: Best Hots Springs in Costa Rica
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Adolfo D
Reviewed 17 June 2017

This place just screams relaxation. My room was spacious and clean. The decor is a bit odd but interesting with the walls made of stones. You can take the shuttle or just walk to the baths. There are pools of multiple different temperatures. It was too hot outside to go in the really hot ones, but the medium ones were nice. The water is so soft and it feels luxurious. I also like the walk through the forest to get to the baths. Bring a flashlight at night! The baths are basically an artificial version of the Tabacon Hot Springs, but much less expensive. Several of my companions got massages and they were happy with them and their low price. They also enjoyed horseback riding but said that there is no instruction so it was a little scary for those who had never ridden. The wifi in the lobby worked OK but in my room it cut out most of the time so I just went to the lobby. My only substantive complaint was that my room was near the sports bar and they were playing music and cheering until about 11:30 pm, which made it impossible to sleep. The restaurant was good.

Room Tip: Not near the sports bar
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank lizardtiff
Reviewed 31 May 2017

I'm always proud when I find a place I love with mostly locals. We traveled at Christmas time and opted to avoid the large crowds at the more touristy locations. We were so glad we did. My husband and I felt so relaxed here with the gorgeous hot springs, the amazing Christmas dinner buffet. They offer horse back riding. The rooms are very simple, but the value is incredible. I love this place, and dream to go back again one day.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ambersigman
Reviewed 13 May 2017

My wife and I stayed on Christmas day and had a very relaxing stay. The hot springs are very relaxing and surrounded by nature. They also offer massage and spa services for reasonable rates. The rooms at the hotel are nothing spectacular, but have all the basic necessities that are needed. The hot water was working and the beds were adequate. I would have like a better pillow selection and the wifi in the room was spotty at best. The restaurant had a nice buffet offering on Christmas Day and the breakfast buffet was good but not great. For dinner my wife and I had pasta, the portions were large and it was good enough that I cleaned my plate and hers. Overall, I found the experience to be very enjoyable and would definitely return again.

Stayed: December 2016
Reviewed 7 March 2017

The hotel, restaurant and thermal baths are a great value as a package deal. The thermal baths are in the woods next to the river and are very good and scenic, if somewhat difficult to access for people with limited mobility. It is crowded on the weekend with locals, because it is not overly expensive. Monday thru Wednesday are the best days to visit.The thermals alone for what you get are a much better value than the ones closer to Arenal, beautiful view. The hotel is clean and modern with TV and air conditioner. The restaurant is very good, sometimes it is buffet and sometimes a la carte. If you get the package deal it was only $145.00 for the thermals, the hotel room and breakfast, lunch and dinner.for 2 people per day.Alcoholic beverages are available at a reasonable price .

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple