The Speckled Hen Inn Bed & Breakfast
The Edgewater(Madison)
USD 236*
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Madison(Madison)(Great Value!)
USD 103*
USD 94*
USD 92*
USD 122*
Priceline
All reviewsmadison lakes roomtoken creekhardy suitegracious hostsfarm to tablewindow seatbreakfast was deliciousgathering roomfarm animalssmall farmcommon roomthought of everythingfresh eggsbeautiful propertygas fireplacejetted tubpretzels
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I needed a place with access to Madison and to "recharge" my mental batteries. The Speckled Hen was a perfect place to read, play with Happy the Labradoodle, and enjoy marvelous Spring weather. Little touches in the Inn -- the comfortable beds, great Wi-fi access, books, snacks -- all contributed to the comfort level. And the breakfasts! Each breakfast was different and used locally grown produce from the farm, and it was all delicious. I bought a gift certificate for my son and daughter-in-law, who live nearby, so they too can enjoy a bit of escape sometime.

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable and have a nice view and access to amenities.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We weren't all that enthused about are 30+ year old son moving to Madison, WI, taking our beloved grandson with him. Fortunately, we have found a second home at the Speckled Hen Inn. Charming rooms, each individually decorated and unique, and the best homemade breakfast one could ask for, makes our stays a treat. Reserve early, they sell out.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank splinteredsunlight
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Frequent business traveler - this was my second stay with Pat, Bob and Happy and just one of many more! Excellent accommodations, warm, cozy and quiet. Perfect for the business traveler or vacationer.

Home is well appointed and has modern amenities. In room fireplace, jetted tub, king bed and feather pillows. What more could you ask for? The breakfasts are home prepared and truly excellent!

Love dogs? If so, Happy will gladly be your dog away from home. Just like Pat and Bob, Happy makes you feel right at home!

I will be back for another stay in April 2012, until then give the Speckled Hen a shot it will not disappoint.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I brought my fiancee from Georgia here for her first trip to my home of Wisconsin. We stayed two night at the Speckled Hen and I wish we could have stayed an entire week. We had the Token Creek room, on the second floor and it was spacious and beautifully appointed. There were two large windows and a glass door leading to a balcony. Being February, it was too cold for the balcony, but the first evening, my fiancee and I pulled the two comfy chairs in the room up to the windows, sat and watched the snow fall over the pasture. We enjoyed watching the sheep and the llamas through the windows and we sat both mornings and watched a tom wild turkey escort his fifteen or twenty hens in to feed. It was a magical place. The owners cleaned our room each day we were out, but always left our two chairs in front of the windows.
The owners are extremely friendly and welcoming... and let me tell you, they cook one mean breakfast. I think this was the only time I've had a three course breakfast while being told stories from the owner's very interesting lives. Truly great food, a great environment, and great people. I cannot say enough about this place.
Actually, I can sum it up here: After two days at the Speckled Hen in February, my Georgian girl who is cold at 65 degrees, said to me, "you know, I could live here". I can ask for nothing more.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We booked the Speckled Hen based on trip advisor reviews which typically don't let us down. This time, I would say the rating was too high. We stayed in the Madison Lakes room because we like a modern look to our B&B stays.

The positive:
The B&B was nice and the owners even more pleasant. The breakfast was amazing each morning. 3 courses each day. The location is nice. 15 minutes to down town. 5 minutes to the east towne mall area. The room was large, linens were nice and there was a nice fireplace. If you like steam, I bet the steam shower is amazing. The main building had tea, coffee and soda for guests. Happy was a very friendly dog.

The negative:
The room was right below the kitchen which meant all morning we had foot steps above us while the owners made breakfast. They serve at 8, 9 and 10 which means 3-5 hours of footsteps. The worst issue for us was that our room was never cleaned. We didn't want to have to call for fresh towels or removal of tea cups. Also the fridge in the room was filthy even when we arrived. Really for >$225 per night we should get our room cleaned. They owners never refilled the beverages, filled the coffee pot water or treats the entire weekend despite an almost full house. Kind of disappointing.

Generally, this is probably a very nice B&B for Madison but we expected just a bit more.

Room Tip: Look for a room away from the kitchen
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank madtowngrl
MadisonInnkeeper, Owner at The Speckled Hen Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

We are so sorry that this guest was disappointed in their visit to The Speckled Hen Inn and we thank them for bringing these things to our attention. We certainly wish that they had let us know about their concerns while they were here because most of them could have been easily and quickly remedied.
Guest rooms are routinely freshened, (bed made, towels replaced, trash emptied, dirty dishes removed, and necessary cleaning) right after breakfast service is completed if the guests are out of the room and it is obvious that the housekeepers are not violating the privacy of the guest by entering the room. We will admit that it is sometimes an extremely difficult call on the violation of privacy but we would always be delighted to freshen a room at any time at the request of a guest just as we do honor guest requests to “not bother with the room” when they wish to have total privacy. Guest rooms are always stocked with extra towels for those who need them.
We were appalled to learn that the refrigerator was not in pristine condition. We should have checked it before the guests arrived. The room had just been re-opened after repair from a water line break and a wonderful outside contractor had helped us put the room back together after the flood. I guess that each of us assumed that the other had checked the inside of the refrigerator. It has been put to rights.
The beverage service and snacks in the gathering room are restocked every morning. The coffee service is refreshed prior to the first breakfast seating and everything else is restocked around 9:30AM. I can only suppose that usage was much heavier than it normally is if things were depleted. To remedy the problem we are investigating the possibility of a direct plumbing line to the coffee maker and until that happens we will monitor the service more closely and provide instructions for filling the coffee maker with water from the sink located right next to the coffee maker.
We will also check to see what can be done to reduce the noise from footsteps overhead and take appropriate action.
We feel so badly that this guest was disappointed in their stay. We strive to provide an exceptional guest experience and we sincerely hope that this guest will give us a chance to prove that we can do just that.