“Great place”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

What a great b+b... dog friendly (rare but welcomed), wonderful hosts and the nicest b+b room we have ever stayed in. The madison lakes room is as gorgeous as advertised. The only thing that prevents me fro giving this place 5 stars is that it is about 200/300 yards from the highway, and you can definitely hear the flow of traffic if you are sitting peacefully enjoying a glass of wine overlooking their wonderful property. Wonderful breakfast. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Oak Ridge, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I needed a place with access to Madison and to "recharge" my mental batteries. The Speckled Hen was a perfect place to read, play with Happy the Labradoodle, and enjoy marvelous Spring weather. Little touches in the Inn -- the comfortable beds, great Wi-fi access, books, snacks -- all contributed to the comfort level. And the breakfasts! Each breakfast was different and used locally grown produce from the farm, and it was all delicious. I bought a gift certificate for my son and daughter-in-law, who live nearby, so they too can enjoy a bit of escape sometime.

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable and have a nice view and access to amenities.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Truro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We weren't all that enthused about are 30+ year old son moving to Madison, WI, taking our beloved grandson with him. Fortunately, we have found a second home at the Speckled Hen Inn. Charming rooms, each individually decorated and unique, and the best homemade breakfast one could ask for, makes our stays a treat. Reserve early, they sell out.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank splinteredsunlight
Libertyville, Illinois
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Frequent business traveler - this was my second stay with Pat, Bob and Happy and just one of many more! Excellent accommodations, warm, cozy and quiet. Perfect for the business traveler or vacationer.

Home is well appointed and has modern amenities. In room fireplace, jetted tub, king bed and feather pillows. What more could you ask for? The breakfasts are home prepared and truly excellent!

Love dogs? If so, Happy will gladly be your dog away from home. Just like Pat and Bob, Happy makes you feel right at home!

I will be back for another stay in April 2012, until then give the Speckled Hen a shot it will not disappoint.

• Stayed February 2012
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I brought my fiancee from Georgia here for her first trip to my home of Wisconsin. We stayed two night at the Speckled Hen and I wish we could have stayed an entire week. We had the Token Creek room, on the second floor and it was spacious and beautifully appointed. There were two large windows and a glass door leading to a balcony. Being February, it was too cold for the balcony, but the first evening, my fiancee and I pulled the two comfy chairs in the room up to the windows, sat and watched the snow fall over the pasture. We enjoyed watching the sheep and the llamas through the windows and we sat both mornings and watched a tom wild turkey escort his fifteen or twenty hens in to feed. It was a magical place. The owners cleaned our room each day we were out, but always left our two chairs in front of the windows.
The owners are extremely friendly and welcoming... and let me tell you, they cook one mean breakfast. I think this was the only time I've had a three course breakfast while being told stories from the owner's very interesting lives. Truly great food, a great environment, and great people. I cannot say enough about this place.
Actually, I can sum it up here: After two days at the Speckled Hen in February, my Georgian girl who is cold at 65 degrees, said to me, "you know, I could live here". I can ask for nothing more.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple