“Needs a lot of improvement ”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #55 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

The hotel itself is being remodeled and looks questionable from the outside. There are trailers and materials all over the parking lot. We went in and it took some time for him to find my reservation. The employees are dressed very very casually. However, even though the place felt a bit unsafe it was VERY quiet and we were not disturbed at all. They still have regular keys which is unique. They do not have high security doorknobs, just regular house door knobs. There is a deadbolt so that brought us some comfort. The room didn't blow us away but you definitely get what you pay for; a bed, fridge, shower and a place to spend the night. It was relatively clean but it was old and worn out, the whole interior of the hotel seemed to be. The carpet was damp as well. We have stayed in better places and in worse places... Don't know if we would ever stay there again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 June 2016 via mobile

Place is pretty much as you would expect with the name. Rooms are really small and don't have enough outlets. Our king room only had one night table.

It like the last refresh was someone in the early 90's. The bed was somewhat comfortable, the tv was still there tube variety, but thankfully acknowledge worked well. Carpets are old and starting wrinkle.

I also get the impression that this may be a party hotel from what the desk clerk said.

In short,. The place is far past its prime and dwells in the past... Much like Scott Walker and the state of Wisconsin.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank DanB53
Reviewed 18 March 2016 via mobile

Arrived 7:30 pm. Room ready. Still have keys to enter and exit building. Definitely need some updating. Rooms were very quiet. I heard no noise on 1st level at all. It has microwave, refrigerator, tv. No in room coffee pot. No hair dryer. Room was easy to adjust temperature. Queen bed was sufficient. For being in Madison, on outskirts. It's just sufficient.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2015

The sign "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED ON PREMISES" did not allieviate my concerns for personal safety, as I started to realize what a terrible mistake I'd made booking this motel. In town to visit family, I found myself in need of a motel room at the last minute, as I thought we'd be staying with a family member that evening. I didn't realize at the time i booked our room that this property used by Dane County to place "clients" with vouchers. There was a drug deal going down in the parking lot as we checked in. The indoor hallway is covered in a stinky dank rug that ripples as though its been flooded. The moisture mold and mildew problems continued into our room. The shower wouldn't turn off all the way, sending the water dripping onto the tub filler then bouncing onto the bathroom floor. From the mold and deterioration around the shower/tub area, it was clearly an ongoing problem. I can still smell the mold and mildew, dirty bedspreads, greasy walls, questionable sheets. We slept fully clothed with flashlights and knives at the ready. The plastic water glasses were cracked, causing precious sleep-inducing liquids to be lost. The tiny towels were so thin you could see through them. The person who checked us in and the person who checked us out both had a shocked look on their faces that said "What the hell are you doing in a place like this?" They were both very polite young men; the check-in clerk came to our room to investigate my concerns over not being able to turn "on" either of the lamps in the room. Two doors down from our room was someone's residence, with a personalized message on the door. An elderly woman in bootie socks and old quilted bathrobe stumbled on the folds in the hallway's rotted carpet. Food odors permeated the halls. If you are taking life's gifts for granted, check in here for a Friday night and get in touch with Gratitude. Practice aura building exercises to control any feelings of panic at the sounds of car prowling or sirens. The TV did work, thankfuly, so we turned off our lamp and pretended we were somewhere other than THERE -- and we heeded the extensive warnings posted to not mess with the cabling. The refrigerator worked and ice was available. The exterior doors had difficult to operate keyed entries. We got out of there as soon as it was daylight, passing on the continental breakfast~ but did note other guests partaking of morning coffee around the community TV area, just inside the front door. There's a tattoo parlor across the street, if you're in need of ink.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
7  Thank Grateful520
Reviewed 28 September 2015

I booked this room for my 70+ year old in laws not knowing what to expect. The hotel we booked 2 months prior for ourselves which was LITERALLY across the street was like night and day but it was sold out. Road Star had received 4 stars and an 85 rating on the site I reserved it on. We checked them in @ 8:30/9 pm and the front desk staff was very nice. The rest of the clientele at the hotel were VERY questionable (potential pimps, prostitutes or convicts). The hotel is run down and in need of repairs and upgrades. Their TV only had 1 channel (the weather channel) which my father in law brought to the front desk's attention. My in laws did say that the room/bed/bathroom was clean and that there is a BIG lock for the door (both pluses). We picked them up at 9:00 in the morning and when we arrived there was a sheriff parked in front putting on a bullet proof vest. We tried to find my in laws another hotel but because it was a football weekend, they were all sold out. In hindsight it's funny, but I would NEVER book this place again. The next time I will make sure that I READ both the positive AND negative comments about a hotel. I'm surprised that my in laws are still speaking to me!!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Momier
Road_Star_Madison, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2015

I just received notice of this review and I do want to refute a few things.

First, I am quite disappointed to read the "pimps, prostitutes, or convicts" part of the review. I find that a bit uncalled for. As a budget hotel we see all walks of life here, and we do not discriminate against any protected groups wishing to rent.

Just to make things clear: We do not rent out rooms long term (we have some older folks that have been here for years, but that's that). Our max stay is 28 days and anyone who is here longer than a few days will have a background check done. We are very vigilant with problem guests and remove anyone who causes a problem or is deemed to be doing anything illegal, immediately. With that, time to time the police need to be called. We do not put up with any illegal activity period, and when necessary, we do call the police to handle things if we feel it is unsafe for our staff to deal with it themselves.

Second, the TV having only one channel. We actually have expanded cable television through Charter. The TV being on the Weather Channel is the default startup channel. The remote provided in the room (usually on top of the television) will lead you to the 70+ channels we offer. I'm sorry that this wasn't solved for your father immediately.

Third, we are an older hotel and I completely agree that we are showing our age. However, we are working like mad to update things. Our next major update will be our carpet which we hope to have finished by the end of the year.

I'm glad there were some things your parents did enjoy about their stay. Thank you for including them with the other parts of the review.

All the best,