“Really wanted to believe reviews on other sites...”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Vientiane Palace Restaurant II
Ranked #712 of 1,060 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 27 February 2018

After all these years living in Madison I'd never tried Vientiane Palace. We were in the mood for Asian food prior to a concert at Overture, and the reviews we'd read gave this place good marks. We both ordered squash curry with tofu. The brown "curry" sauce gave everything a drab look, and it hid the identity of whatever squash was included. The taste was disappointing. Interesting that a sign at the checkout requested everyone to leave an 18% gratuity!! Gratuities must be earned! We won't return.

Reviewed 27 May 2017

I've been to Vientiane Palace a couple of times. Lao, Thai, and Vietnamese food is my absolute favorite cuisine. Vientiane Palace is near my home. So I want to love this place. But I don't. The food itself is fine, not the best, but still tasty. The decor is drab but I can overlook that. My issue is the hostess/waitress is so surly. We all have bad days, but she always seems very unhappy that we are there. I'm seen her smile and chat w/little children so I know she can be friendly, but we definitely seem to be a burden.

On our last visit, when she begrudgingly took our order, I ordered an Iced Tea and a soup, my brother got the pad thai. The soup was good, just the spice level I ordered, my brother found the pad thai very bland and didn't eat much of it. She brought me a Thai Iced Tea rather than an Iced Tea which was fine since I like them both. Normally I might have said something, but she just seemed so annoyed that we were there, I didn't want to bother her.

I'll probably go back because I love that type of food and the location is ideal, but I am keeping my expectations very low.

Reviewed 25 January 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stopped in here on a Friday afternoon, the food was really good, the service was good. Worth a try if you're looking for something different.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

was in town for a conference and ended up here with a few others for lunch. We were all a bit disappointed. I had mixed vegetables with shrimp. The shrimp was VERY good, and the veggies were cooked just right, but the sauce was bad --even had clumps of flour or corn starch in it = NOT good. someone else got the papaya salad and said it usually has peanuts on top but this time it didn't. she had it #2 out of 3 for spicy and she said it was HOT. Someone else had pho and said it was OK, but it came with everything already in it, not with the spices on the side to add as you wish. So, no one felt it was bad. We ate our food. We BARELY made it back in time (we had one hour, and walked here). So, not quick and not great.

Reviewed 24 May 2016

I lived in Madison for 8 years until 2002, and Vientiane Palace was one of my favorite restaurants. I was very happy to see that it was still around one my first trip back to the city in 13 years. Nothing much has changed. It's not a fancy place. In fact, it's kind of dark. But the food is still very tasty - I had the whole fried basil with chicken. I hope it will still be there when I return again.