“Disappointing”

Vientiane Palace Restaurant II
Ranked #710 of 1,060 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 27 May 2017

I've been to Vientiane Palace a couple of times. Lao, Thai, and Vietnamese food is my absolute favorite cuisine. Vientiane Palace is near my home. So I want to love this place. But I don't. The food itself is fine, not the best, but still tasty. The decor is drab but I can overlook that. My issue is the hostess/waitress is so surly. We all have bad days, but she always seems very unhappy that we are there. I'm seen her smile and chat w/little children so I know she can be friendly, but we definitely seem to be a burden.

On our last visit, when she begrudgingly took our order, I ordered an Iced Tea and a soup, my brother got the pad thai. The soup was good, just the spice level I ordered, my brother found the pad thai very bland and didn't eat much of it. She brought me a Thai Iced Tea rather than an Iced Tea which was fine since I like them both. Normally I might have said something, but she just seemed so annoyed that we were there, I didn't want to bother her.

I'll probably go back because I love that type of food and the location is ideal, but I am keeping my expectations very low.

Reviewed 25 January 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stopped in here on a Friday afternoon, the food was really good, the service was good. Worth a try if you're looking for something different.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

was in town for a conference and ended up here with a few others for lunch. We were all a bit disappointed. I had mixed vegetables with shrimp. The shrimp was VERY good, and the veggies were cooked just right, but the sauce was bad --even had clumps of flour or corn starch in it = NOT good. someone else got the papaya salad and said it usually has peanuts on top but this time it didn't. she had it #2 out of 3 for spicy and she said it was HOT. Someone else had pho and said it was OK, but it came with everything already in it, not with the spices on the side to add as you wish. So, no one felt it was bad. We ate our food. We BARELY made it back in time (we had one hour, and walked here). So, not quick and not great.

Reviewed 24 May 2016

I lived in Madison for 8 years until 2002, and Vientiane Palace was one of my favorite restaurants. I was very happy to see that it was still around one my first trip back to the city in 13 years. Nothing much has changed. It's not a fancy place. In fact, it's kind of dark. But the food is still very tasty - I had the whole fried basil with chicken. I hope it will still be there when I return again.

Reviewed 21 January 2016

I've driven by this place dozens of times and had always wanted to stop and try it. Well, today was that day and I'm sorry to say that it was a waste of my money. I would not recommend this place at all.

I ordered the spicy plate from the lunch menu and got a dish that was very displeasing to look at and tasted just as bad. I was essentially served a very large onion that had been sliced and sauteed in a nasty colored brown sauce. There was also about 6-8 tiny pieces of tofu (smaller than a cashew), 4-6 tiny pieces of eggplant, a couple of stalks of basil and some bamboo shoots. Oh and did I mention A LOT of onions.

I asked for spicy and indeed the dish was spicy.

My husband got the curried squash and his dish was just as disappointing. There were more pieces of squash but again very little tofu. The sauce was the same nasty brown color but it did have a little bit different taste. He asked for 1/2 of a star (so very, very not spicy) and his dish was spicy - probably more like 3 out of 5 star.

Other reviews have addressed the service issue. Yes, the service leaves much to be desired but really it is the terrible food that ensures that I won't go back.