“Unusual and healthy choices in popular cafe”
Review of Cafe 1217

Cafe 1217
Ranked #6 of 305 Restaurants in Hot Springs
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 25 June 2016

Café 1217 is very popular among locals who want a menu with unusual and healthful choices. Always busy at lunch time, and parking is a bit limited in front of the café. (more in the lot next door) Service is efficient and the staff is very friendly and will explain different dishes. The available vegetables may include "petite green beans and zucchini ribbons with herbs and walnuts", "maple balsamic brussel sprouts" and "chopped cauliflower with cucumber, fresh corn and red pepper", for example. The "Irish stuffed potato" is a twice baked potato with cream cheese and cabbage in the filling. Customers can combine dishes for a combination lunch, with 1/2 sandwich and a salad or one of the specialty vegetables, etc., for $9.00. Most all sandwiches are $9.00 and include "house garlic pepper potato chips" or a small serving of "salad of the day". Café 1217 is fun, just for the fact that adventurous food choices are available, but I would say other than an occasional visit just for the "difference", my husband and I prefer more standard fare. It's almost like the Café 1217 tries too hard to be different. That's only a personal comment, and for anyone who really likes unusual food combinations, this is an excellent choice.

Reviewed 24 June 2016 via mobile

The food at the cafe is full of flavor. I ate there 3 times in the 4 days I was in town. They were very accommodating to ensure my food was gluten free. I enjoyed everything I ate. I was most impressed with their gluten-free and dairy free cookies. They were moist and delicious. Try the coconut macaroons and the carrot cake cookies. Give them a try you won't be disappointed!!

Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

Interior has a quaint yet hipster vibe. Good assortment of entrees, salads, and sandwiches to choose from on the menu. The fish tacos were fresh and very tasty.

Reviewed 22 June 2016

We spent a week in Hot springs and ate in our condo, most days. When someone suggested this local cafe, we gave it a try. Didn't know it offered gluten free and healthy and fit choices till we got here. We are not gluten free, but try to eat healthy as much as we can. This place was wonderful! My husband ordered the Cajun Shrimp Kale Caesar Salad, he really enjoyed it. I had the Sonoma Chicken Salad on a croissant and it was very fresh and tasty. We also ordered one of their hand rolled tamales, just to try it, since we were raised in NM. It was very good, especially since we were so far from the Southwest where tamales rule. I did make a mistake and sit right where I was staring at the dessert case....Oh My! I chose a slice of chocolate, coffee, toffee pie and was very pleased. I probably could have sat there and eaten the entire pie! There were gluten choices that looked fabulous. I really wanted to take some more delights back to the condo, but, resisted! What a wonderful place to eat healthy, fresh, good for you and local run!

Reviewed 18 June 2016

Wife is gluten free and dairy free and needless to say sometimes a challenge to find something to eat. Read the reviews and decided to get it a try, and wasn't disappointed. Very, Very busy with people from suits to shorts. Place your order at the counter and get back out of the way. Very well ran with some good choices. The gluten free added 3 bucks to a sandwich which seemed a little high for 2 pieces of bread. Only complaint I could have is I had to stand in line to pay. Stand in line to pay?? But it seems to work for them.