“Hot Springs Icon”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 10 December 2017

We visited Hot Springs over Thanksgiving, and McLard's was among those the front desk employee at Comfort Suites recommended when I asked for good local eateries. This is a LONG-time family-run place that isn't in the tourist district. It's very casual, with a friendly staff and obviously a local clientele as well as visitors. We decided to order the sampler plate to split, and it was plenty for the two of us with ribs, sausage, brisket, slaw, fries, and an extra side of beans. They will put BBQ sauce on your order for you, or you can ask for it on the side and use the bottled sauce at the table.
This Arkansas/McLard's BBQ had a different flavor than we experience in Texas, but it was good. There were a lot of fries, and the slaw was tasty. The beans had an unusual (for us) taste that we didn't enjoy as much. However, we had quite enough to eat, to the point that we had to turn down the option of dessert. We'd recommend McLard's for the experience of a small, family-run business that continues to hold its own among much larger chains or places in tourist-centered locations in Hot Springs.

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

We stopped in around 1:30 on a Tuesday afternoon. We were immediately greeted and told to have a seat wherever we wanted. Our waitress was very prompt in getting our orders. I ordered the half order of the tamale spread. It was pretty large for a half. I could not finish it. The tamale spread consisted of a tamale, beans, Fritos, cheese, brisket, and bbq sauce. It was very tasty, but the BBQ is a bit different than what I’m used to in TX. It had quite a spice to it. My 10 year old daughter liked it but said she couldn’t eat much because it was too spicy for her. I think they need a more milder sauce, especially for kiddos. My mom ordered the fries. They came out on a huge cookie sheet. It was enough for at least 4 people. The portions here are definitely Texas sized. Overall, the employees were nice and food was good. I highly recommend checking it out if you’re in the area.

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

This very casual diner has terrific barbeque, but you must eat beef and pork (unless you go early on Wednesdays when they have limited amount of chicken). In addition to the highly acclaimed barbeque they have the expected potato salad and beans, but most importantly they have amazing coleslaw. In short, not a place for date, but just about anything else is a good reason to try it.

Reviewed 15 November 2017

We stopped here for lunch. Everything was phenomenal. We will definitely return again whenever we are in Hot Springs.

Reviewed 29 October 2017

When I travel I only eat at locally owned restaurants. My recent trip to visit family in Arkansas was going to be my food cheat week. It began with dry pulled pork,yeah pretty nasty and the following days were just mediocre at best! Who knew that a cell phone issue with AT&T would have led to southern food redemption. Thanks to the store manager’s recommendation to dine at McClards Bar B Q I finally had a delicious meal!
We entered the eatery and the smell of BBQ greeted me. We were greeted with a warm welcome and seated. The menu was pretty diverse and it only took a few seconds to place my order. Ribs, hand cut fries, potato salad, and coke slaw arrived in abundance! There was enough food to feed four people. The ribs were smokey fall off the bone tender, homemade potato salad was scrumptious, cole slaw had the right amount of moisture and tanginess. Finally real delicious southern food!
I tried but could not finish dinner and for good reason there was a slice of homemade pecan pie beckoning. It was the perfect ending to a flavorful meal!
If you find yourself in Hot Springs, Arkansas avoid the chains and eat at McClards Bar B Q!

1  Thank giociddio