Our small family very much enjoyed our 3 nights at Alam Sari in June 2017. We booked on the recommendation of friends who had stayed there some years ago and were not disappointed. The resort is committed to eco-friendly practices (incuding limiting the use of plastics), employing local people from the nearby village of Keliki, and supporting cultural maintenance activities in the Keliki. The rooms are large and well appointed, Balinese-style, with air-con and private bathroom (our family room, Mangga, had 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms with a shower and toilet each). The staff were wonderful - super-welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. The pool is as good as the pictures look and we spent a lot of time in and around it. The restaurant was open all day and the food delicious and varied enough for all our tastes - some Balinese, Indonesian and more western as well - sometimes we ordered food by the pool, and in the evening we chose to eat at the resort rather than race around busy Ubud. There is a free shuttle into Ubud 3 times a day (9, 12, 5). We went to a dance show one night and arranged for Putu to collect us afterwards (100,000 IRP) - he was ready with a smile when we emerged and we had a late simple supper back at the resort when we returned. The absolute highlights of our stay at Alam Sari were the cultural elements: Putu guided us through the resort's garden and Keliki village the first morning we were there and this gave us a much greater understanding of the Balinese way of life. The tour included a stop at the Keliki painting school - a place for the village painting 'masters' to pass on their cultural traditions. There is no pressure to buy, but if you do, 80-90% of your purchase price is returned to the individual artist - many of them children and young people which helps them financially with their education. The second morning Dewa picked us up for a cooking class - first we walked around some more parts of the village, this time learning about the food production as well as some Balinese philosophies. We arrived at his family compound and had a cooking class where we learned how to cook 5 different dishes - all delicious! Our daughter (10) was captivated for the entire time too! We also learned a little more about family and village life which has been going on in similar style for over 800 years. The only negative for our stay was the noisy road below our family room: much (friendly) beeping to the spirits as bikes cross the ravine, and some very loud motorbike engines at times. There are 2 other family rooms and other rooms and villas which are not so noisy, but without the spectacular view to Mt Agung in the morning and/or proximity to the pool. If you contact the resort you can discuss your needs and preferences. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at Alam Sari. We intend to return - having the opportunity to be shown aspects of the Balinese culture in such a welcoming environment is very special.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An eco- friendly hotel committed to connecting guests to the cultural heart of Bali. Relax in tropical beauty of this hillside resort, in the heart of the rice terraces and traditional villages north of Ubud. Escape from the busy tourist centres, and enter into a cultural experience that reflects what is truly Balinese. Alam Sari is committed in many ways to preserving the natural, cultural and social environment of Bali. Guests can learn some basic Balinese dance steps, how to greet the local people in Balinese, learn to make traditional banana leaf offerings, or even participate in a small temple offering ceremony in the grounds of the hotel. Alam Sari is experienced in organizing wellness and group programs emphasizing local spiritual traditions, culture and sustainability. From business, social entrepreneurship and artistic pursuits to well-being, happiness and healing retreats, you can work with the expert Alam Sari team to create the setting for a memorable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Agoda, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Hooroo Pty Ltd and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Alam Sari reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alam Sari Hotel Tegalalang
- Alam Sari Keliki Gianyar
- Alam Sari Bali/Tegalalang