All reviews personal assistant spring pools terrace suite wellness program wellness retreat tirta ening healthy food glow restaurant the river yoga classes spa treatments four seasons grounds are stunning heaven on earth butler service natural beauty rice fields
Reviewed 10 October 2012

It is located in the middle of a jungle with a lot of beautiful sceneries all around you! The food was great and they were always trying to make us feel like we're home! It's so cosy and all in all a wonderful experience! Would love to go back again'

• Stayed: September 2012
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Dear DanaSalhi,
Greetings from COMO Jungle! Thank you for leaving a review and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to your cozy home.

Kind regards,
Paul Linder

Reviewed 22 September 2012

It's a nice place, but some of the smaller boutique hotels around Ubud are less expensive and still deliver a similar experience.

The delivery of your bill the night before to ease your "worry" about bill settlement was simply a ploy to get you to sign on for a late check out for 50% of the day rate. At this level of hotel, it was quite simply an appalling request for a 2 hour extension when the resort was not full.

There was most definitely a push to get you to sign up for activities that were charged for.

I wasn't trying to test the place, but the 2 small requests I made received a blank smile and then were ignored/ forgotten. That is just not consistent with a 5 star rating or the room rate!

Room Tip: The rooms center around an outdoor living room pavillion. If you want a vista or want to be upstairs/ downstairs, you should ask in advance.
Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
MonicaBarter, Dir at COMO Shambhala Estate, Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Intrepid_88,

Greetings from Bali and thank you for your review.

We apologize that our gesture of asking for your bill to be re-viewed the night before your departure was perceived otherwise. Perhaps it could have been better explained at the time.

Asides from spa treatments and other healing mind-body modalities, COMO Shambhala Estate is also known for having one of the best developed Activities Menu in Bali. We therefore encourage all our guests to explore outside of The Estate as well.

We have carefully crafted half and full day trips that are physically challenging as well as with a touch of the spiritual. We generally encourage all guests who have sampled the complimentary activities to further explore by booking some private time to with our Guides.

We hope your visit to Bali was a fulfilling one and look forward to your return.

Warm regards,

Group Operations Dir

Reviewed 20 September 2012

I cannot even say enough about how wonderful this Estate is and the amazing value you get for what you spend. I went on the recommendation of Donna Karan....a spiritual quest. And I found everything I was looking for and more. It can be whatever you want it to be though, a great place to unwind and be pampered or you can take it deeper. I have never been to a place where the staff and people are so genuinely friendly and helpful, they truly just want to see you happy.
The food is to die for!!!! The juices are amazing! They have some of the best yoga teachers I've had AND my dear personal assistant the Estate assigned to me, Agyung, became my best friend. Im returning as soon as I can...
Hendra put together a beautiful package for me....Thank you COMO Shambhala. I send EVERYONE there now.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
MonicaBarter, Operations Dir at COMO Shambhala Estate, Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

Dear Christopher,

Many thanks for your enthusiastic review that captures the essence of COMO Shambhala Estate, Bali.

Indeed, of special note are our unsung heroes at Reservations, who carefully crafted your stay, until it truly unfolded when you arrived at The Estate.

All of us here look forward to your return.

With warm wishes from Bali,

Reviewed 31 August 2012

The Como Shambhala in Payangan has to be one of the very best hotels in the world, no questions about that. From the second you arrive at the grounds you realise you're in for something really really special.

We spend 6 days at the Como Shambhala (Garden Room) and wished we'd stayed longer. None of the other hotels we stayed at during our trip to Indonesia came close to the Como Shambhala and some (e.g., Anantara in Seminyak) were more expensive.

What we liked about the Como Shambhala:
- You get your own butler: The butler will make sure that you're booked in for all the activities that the hotel organises / or 3rd party activities you want to take part in
- The rooms are awesome (colonial style): they have air conditioning, the bathrooms very nice (hot water in the jungle) and they make you feel as if you're in nature (stunning views of the village, river and forest)
- The hotel grounds are stunning (see the photos). You feel as if you're alone in the jungle, yet you have the luxury of a top hotel at your disposal (see the pictures)
- Quiet and tranquillity: Many times you feel you're the only guest at the Como Shambhala. There may even be days when you don't see any other guest at all...the grounds are so vast and the rooms so few
- Daily activities: The daily activities are fantastic. For instance, you can attend yoga, cycling, jungle gym, rock climbing, pilates and many more...all great fun
- The food: The main focus at the Como Shambhala is on wellness and it's amazing how great the food tastes even though they hardly use any sugar, etc. Some of the dishes could be served in top restaurants in London / NYC / Barcelona / Etc, they are that good. The Como Shambhala has two restaurants (one focusing on Western dishes with a twist called Glow and one is an Indonesian restaurant called Kudas). I especially liked the selection of dishes for breakfast and the food at served at their Kudas restaurant (although the food at Glow was very good as well)
- The hotel has several pools (some with natural spring water)
- Service: For instance, if you don't want to walk across the vast terrain all the time, you can ask to be driven around in a golf buggy

What we liked less about the Como Shambhala:
- The price: The Como Shambhala is not cheap (e.g. coconut costs $9 USD), but given the quality of the service, rooms, etc it is overall worth it, if you can afford to go there

Recommendations:
- Book a tour with Bali Traditional Tours (see my other review)
- Upgrade the room. We were sceptical and booked the cheapest room. In hindsight we wished we'd booked a bigger room with more amenities.

For more of my reviews please visit: http://terencenahar.com/WorldPress/

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TKB001
MonicaBarter, Operations Dir at COMO Shambhala Estate, Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Dear TKB001,

Greetings from the COMO Shambhala Estate in Bali.

Thank you for your lovely review. The COMO Shambhala Team and myself are glad you rated us highly in various aspects of our service as well as our healing environments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Bali or any one of our COMO Hotels and Resorts worldwide.

With very best wishes,

Reviewed 30 August 2012

The suites at Como are about as perfect as I've ever come across, and a good value. While walking the property grounds, I literally though this is what it would be like to die and go to heaven. There were a few negatives... Don't do any painful Ayurvedic treatments on a short stay. My partner did a cleansing that left him vomiting and in bed for a full day--not a good way to spend your time in heaven. The bath knob came undone on the tub, shooting water 20 feet into the bedroom. It was a bit of a drama on my final night. I was up late packing and just wanted a relaxing soak before going to bed--not a tsunami in my room. That said, it's still one of the most beautiful properties I've stayed at and highly recommend it to any traveler going through Bali wanting a spurge.

Room Tip: Get a suite!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Tommy McCall,

Greetings from COMO Shambhala Estate in Bali.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

My Team and I have taken note of the areas that didn't meet your expectations during your stay at our wellness retreat. A "healing crisis" does sometimes occur, however we note that you were in good hands in "heaven" while you got better.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Bali.

With warm wishes,