Adiwana Dara Ayu Villas(Payangan)(Great Value!)
USD 211
USD 367
USD 265
USD 85
USD 78
Agoda.com
Bayad Ubud Bali Villa(Payangan)(Great Value!)
USD 106
USD 75
Priceline
Ayung Resort Ubud(Payangan)(Great Value!)
USD 315
USD 164
Priceline
Bersila(Payangan)(Great Value!)
USD 62
Bliss Moodra Homestay(Payangan)(Great Value!)
USD 61
Agoda.com
Alila Ubud(Payangan)
USD 533
USD 733
All reviewspersonal assistantspring poolsterrace suitewellness programraw foodwellness retreattirta eningglow restaurantthe riveryoga classesspa treatmentsshared poolfour seasonsgrounds are stunningheaven on earthbutler servicenatural beauty
Reviewed 27 May 2012

People looking for an enchanted place with privacy, exceptional beauty, fantastic garden and nature, superb food and service when it is the best, should go to this place. I first hesitated giving a review of this place, because I selfishly thought we could keep it a secret. Well there are no such things as secrets, as soon as more than one person knows about the place, so there you go. It was our second vista to Como Shambala and we were not disappointed. The place is very quiet and discreet. You choose yourself where to dine at the restaurant or the common house that you share with a few other suites, if you have not reserved the suites in that particular element to yourself or family, friends. Walls that are overgrown with beautiful fern, climbers and moss. It has a monastery ambiance. Pools are exceptionally beautiful, each element has one and there is a lap pool as well next to the tearoom. Towards the river there are spring pools and special resting places, ideal places to take a nap or read a book. Como Shambala has a program with activities,such as yoga, water gym, walks in the rice fields and much more. Massages are fantastic. A lot of attention is put into your health and well being. It is a perfect place to recharge the batteries, find yourself and finally being able to reflect about life finding your path. A spiritual spot. Worth a travel in itself. I can not wait to return to this Paradise.

Room Tip: Think about the element you prefer, because there are different areas corresponding to the five elements.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
MonicaBarter, Operations Dir at COMO Shambhala Estate, Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

Dear LizzyR,

Greetings from Bali and thank you for taking the time to share your reviews on your recent stay at COMO Shambhala Estate, Bali.

We are glad your experience has touched you in so many ways --mental, physical and emotional.

The energy of The Estate does indeed lend itself to making one feel nestled in a very safe environment, ready to contemplate life’s many blessings!

We look forward to your return to Paradise found!

With warm wishes,

COMO Shambhala Estate

Reviewed 26 May 2012

I love everything, the people, the room, the secluvity of the location, the food, the spa...
We splurge for this trip and went for the villa... Oh my how spoilt we were with private pool, private steam room + indoor shower, outdoor shower etc.. Love it!!!

The chefs demonstrate their love and passion to what they presented to us. The food is not only very yummy, they're healthy!

Love the resort activities which were complimentary. Once I turned up for my first ever pilates class, there were no one else- great, I'll have a private pilates session :)
My highlight is to be practicing hatha yoga in a pavilion with Mount Agung as the view.

We left the resort re-energized and revitalized. Can't wait to be back...

On an unrelated matter, I make a note to myself not to fly to Bali with Jetstar. We just had the best time and were all set to head back until we were told the flight's cancelled at the airport with no valid reason ever provided to us. Had to stay in a so called 5 star in Ramada Kuta, not!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shiny_ainie
MonicaBarter, operations Dir at COMO Shambhala Estate, Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

Dear shiny_ainie,

Greetings from Bali and thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review of your recent stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next wellness vacation and indulging in more of our award-winning services.

With warm wishes from us all,

Reviewed 25 May 2012

My husband and I chose this hotel for a 5 night stay as the second part of our honeymoon in Bali (first 6 day leg in at Alila Villas in Uluwatu), Sept 2011. Overall, we had an amazing, relaxing, rejuvenating and very private stay.
PROS:
The strengths of this hotel are the massive grounds and sense of being in nature while restoring health and vitality. The grounds are left very natural and in tune with the jungle surroundings, but obvious effort on the hotel staff to keep it looking nice! Our favorite element was the food. There was just enough diversity on the menu to keep us happy daily, even during our stay. We LOVED the menu at Glow, so much so that we only visited the traditional Indonesian restaurant once (which was also amazing, just a bit heavier). The salads at Glow were amazing. The efforts on the part of the head chefs to provide tasty, healthy, well-sourced food, raw-vegan dishes, etc. were impressive. An you can get food delivered nearly anywhere on the resort, which was awesome (i.e., spring pools, veranda). An important note is that we are healthy, active vegetarian types, we don't drink much either. However, somebody who likes heavy western food and wine with dinner might find the menu a bit frustrating. Alcohol was expensive (I think it was close to 8GBP for a beer 12 GBP for a glass of wine).

THINGS TO IMPROVE:
What I think could have been improved during our stay were one major thing and a couple of minor things. The major concern I had was the that mattress in the private villa was a mattress for a 2 star hotel, not a 5 star hotel. Although management was immediately responsive to our concerns, I felt a meeting with the manager about the crap mattress was a little bit over the top and embarrassing. I did need to sleep on towels on an L shaped couch to avoid the major back pain I was experiencing after sleep two nights on the iron waffle. Since sleep is a huge part of vitality, health, and restoration, I'm surprised this key element was massively overlooked.
First minor point, the hotel staff requests you to complete a brief health and diet questionnaire prior to your stay, which includes questions about the types of activities you'd like during your stay. We were keen to do yoga, and so selected it, only to find out that yoga was offered twice during our stay. We were hoping for daily yoga and felt a bit mislead by the online activities schedule. The other bit is about dietary selections, although, this bit is picky because it only happened twice (once at each restaurant). On the pre-stay form, there is a question to indicate your dietary requirements. We indicated veg. Despite this, were regularly presented with meat amuse bouche, with apologies, and often no alternative. Although, that's not a huge problem and it happens to us all of the time, I was left wondering why we bothered completing that long form or why nobody read it? So perhaps it's an issue of attention to guests as resonated in other reviews.
Another thing I wasn't really pleased with was the general quality of the decor in our villa (we stayed in a private villa). I felt that these villas' decoration and general presentation was lacking the historic character, quality and attention to detail that was reflected in the larger residences. While you do gain privacy in the private villas, you loose the history sense of the resort. If we are to go back, I would stay in one of the private residences within the villas.

Last minor issue, was staff attention to the villa. While I realize that we were in a jungle and when the wind blows, leaves blow in the pool. I think more of an effort could have been made on cleaning the pools. I had to ask twice to have leaves and debris cleared out of the pool.

Overall, I would advise you to go to the hotel if its mission and services are something you desire. If you're simply looking for ultimate spoiled luxury and don't want to lift a finger during your stay, perhaps a beach resort would suit you better (lots of walking, hiking, activities here). I would not come here alone, unless I needed alone-time to escape an unwind. I think this hotel is ideal for couples, mother daughter trips, friends' get a way.

Room Tip: As mentioned above, I think the true character of the resort is in the residences v. private villas.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pinkissima
MonicaBarter, Operations Dir at COMO Shambhala Estate, Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Pinkissima,

Thank you for your thoughtful review about your stay at COMO Shambhala Estate.

All your observations have been noted and well received.

We are glad you chose to stay on your Honeymoon and look forward to your return.

Warm wishes,

Group Operations Dir

Reviewed 6 May 2012

This is one of the most beautiful resorts in the world. At $350 per night, the rack rate puts it at the bottom rung of the high end hotels, and as such it is great value.

What is not good is the feeling of nickling and diming on food and beverages, the lack of a shuttle to town ($20 each way - every other hotels offers this for free), and expensive everything. Although the number of rooms is small, the resorts lacks a sense of personality. You still sign for everything for example.

Almost all staff are well-intentioned but are not operating at the highest levels, leading to many service issues. This is a clear management problem.

In fact, during our 7 day stay this time, or on any of the previous 10 or so occasions we have visited the resort in the last six months for stays or treatments, we have not once seen the General Manager, to the point where I started to doubt his existence. This is appalling, especially for a resort with such a small number of rooms. I was told on one day that he was at Uma, Como's other property in Ubud. Perhaps he is being asked to manage two resorts for the price of one, but most of the problems we had with our stays and visits are down to simple lack of oversight, coordination and training, and that, ultimately, is down to the mysteriously absent GM.

1  Thank sinbarambam

Dear sinbarambam,

Greetings from Bali and many thanks for your balanced review of your recent experience at COMO Shambhala Estate, Bali.

Your comments on where we were below par have been carefully looked into.

We value your continued patronage and look forward to welcoming you back and hope that elements of your stay that delighted you will continue to exceed your expectations.

With very best wishes from us all,

Reviewed 25 April 2012

"My girlfriend and I were looking for some peace and relaxation in Bali. We booked six days at Como Shambhala and were wonderfully pleased with our time there.

To begin with the grounds of the estate are beautiful and have many areas to explore. We never really saw it all as we were distracted by discovering beautiful waterfalls, hidden springs, and crystal clear pools, each with a convenient lounger and towel waiting to lure us away from further exploration. One of the magical aspects of the estate is that there are so many places to discover and enjoy one almost never sees any one else. We were informed the resort was nearly full, but we felt like we had it to ourselves. We did venture out occasionally, in fact we are probably the only guests that ever walked to Ubud, but the resort is really best enjoyed by staying put. Enjoy the fabulous service, the spa treatments, and the beautiful grounds and pools without rushing. Do some meditation and a bit of yoga, do like we did and talk for hours in your own bale and enjoy the room service in complete privacy. Get to know which bird makes which call, learn the routes of the flying squirrels, note the emerald green butterfly's favorite bush, and lounge near the night tree the monkey family climbs in the evening as the sun is setting...

Service--perfect. All smiles and can-do attitude. Sunarta, our personal assistant was excellent but so was every one we encountered. From the front desk to the gardeners, everyone said hello with a genuine smile. Whatever we wanted to eat appeared perfectly. Whatever we asked for, Sunarta made possible. Fantastic.

Room--we stayed in the Wanakasa Terrace 2, which was like an uber-sophisticated treehouse in the jungle. Full of windows so the bedroom was very sunny and bright. It had a shower and huge stone bathtub outside. In the evening, Sunarta arranged for candles to be lit around the tub and garden so it was, shall I say, more than a bit romantic to watch the moon slide across the sky as we soaked in the bath. Also, throughout the resort there are so many comfy common areas, tea rooms, etc. to enjoy (by ourselves) it was like having a huge open air villa at our disposal.

Food--we had our breakfast there every morning. They were fresh and tasty with a good variety of choices. Fresh fruit and fruit juices, health juices, hot pastries, crepes, waffles, a great start to the day. I don't drink coffee, but my girlfriend certainly enjoyed hers.

Bugs--aha! Now you think I will complain...sorry. In six days, including one night we slept with the windows wide open (and no nets or screens) we did not have a single bite and we never used any bug repellant. Go figure. But it was great.

Recommendation--stay at Como Shambhala. If you want a truly relaxing retreat from the rush and tumble of your hectic life, stay a week. Don't overbook your activities. I promise you will enjoy it best as a destination, not a waypoint.

About me--you may not believe it, but I am a very particular hotel guest. I have travelled extensively and stayed at many outstanding hotels like the Amman resorts, Orientals, Ritz Carltons, George V, Four Seasons, etc. I would confidently place Como Shambhala right up there. It is not trying to be there or aspiring to be there, it is there and delivers. So go there and enjoy it but please don't take my room!"

4  Thank RK101