“Roaches, bugs, dirty rooms...”

Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Independence
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Montclair, New Jersey
“Roaches, bugs, dirty rooms...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

I will not stay here again even if they give it to us for free, no way!!!
There were roaches on the walls, bugs and fly all over the room, there were also a roach inside the mini fridge, room wasn't clean enough, no towels I had to call front desk to get some, the room was
to small that I don't even think one person only will be comfortable there. And internet connection is terrible, and they charge you $4.99 for the connection that is not even good, plus you have to call a number the front desk would give you if you have any problems with the connection, they won't call for you, but you have to pay the front desk for the connection, ??? It don't make any sense at all!!!
TV, can't see almost anything, channels are horrible!!! This is one of the most horrible hotel we ever stayed, but I have to say the front desk staff were nice. THE MATTRESS WERE SO HARD LIKE A PIECE OF WOOD!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

My friend and I traveled to the Kansas City/Independence, MO area for a baseball game (Royals vs. Twins). We decided to stay wherever we could find a good deal. We landed on the Crossland because it was cheap - and since it's an extended-stay property, the room included a kitchenette so we didn't have to eat all our meals out.

I've never stayed in any kind of extended-stay hotel before. This place would be ideal for someone visiting the area for more than a week at a time, but we were only there three nights.

Because of the extended-stay nature of the property, there was no daily housekeeping. You could take out your own trash and bring your towels to the front desk to exchange them for clean ones. For stays less than 7 nights, there was no housekeeping at all (unless you wanted the "daily refresh" for $3/night). Longer stays include housekeeping once every 7 days.

The location was great - easy to get to, and there was plenty of parking available. It was also very close to Kauffman Stadium, which was why we were in the area to begin with. There were lots of restaurants nearby as well as grocery stores.

The TV was old and took a while to get "warmed up." Had to wait for about 5 minutes after turning it on before the picture would show up. In a room with 2 beds, there was only one chair and a small table. There were dishes available for use in the kitchenette, but no tissues in the entire room. Also, there was no actual closet, just a rod by the door. The dresser was small and only had 3 drawers - this would have been very inconvenient had we been staying for more than 3 nights.

The lights were wired strangely. There was a bright overhead light by the door, and another very bright fluorescent light by the kitchen/bathroom. In order to use the bedside lamps, the light by the door had to be on, which meant we had to get out of bed to turn the lights off if we wanted to read before we went to sleep.

There were ants in the bathroom.

Wireless internet was available for $5 for the entire stay. We were not told this upon checking in, and didn't know about it until the last night when my friend asked about it. Since there was only one night left, we declined.

What we found most worriesome, however, was the lack of security. When we checked in, my friend (she made the reservation) just said her name, and the person working the desk gave her a key (only 1 key for two of us). The next day, the key wasn't working, so my friend went down to the front desk to get it fixed. The worker there (different person than the night before) just asked for her room number and made a new key - no checking to confirm that she was actually staying there. All the doors open to the outdoors, not to an internal hallway, so it would be very easy for someone to get in.

Overall, it wasn't really a bad experience, but it wasn't right for our stay. The price was right, but it wasn't for us. Next time we will choose to stay in a place designed for visitors staying a few days.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank buppyspek
Northeast Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

My husband and I were attending a conference and this hotel was recommended by the conference staff. I have no idea why. There are lots of nice hotels in the area. I had requested a non-smoking room but when I arrived the room reeked of cigarette smoke and we were told the hotel was full and there were no other rooms. Only one light bulb in the entire room worked. I wondered if this was on purpose in hopes that I wouldn't notice the filthy carpet which was not just "stained." They obviously hadn't even tried to get the dirt out. There were no washcloths at all. The ceiling and walls were covered with water stains. The lampshades were stained. The shower didn't work. When I arrived, the room had not been made up (my husband had spent one night there already). When he called to get someone to make the bed, he was told that you only get maid service if you stay more than 5 nights. They obviously cater to short term area workers. Since I had pre-paid for our reservation through Travelocity, I knew I wouldn't likely get my money back but the place was so depressing I told my husband to not even set down my suitcase. We drove across the street and stayed at the Motel 6 for $49 a night. The next day talking to some conference people, I discovered we were not the only ones to have moved. And some people had known better than to book there in the first place. I'm usually pretty forgiving and if a room is clean I don't worry too much about worn furnishings. But this place is a dive.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Tulsa, Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2009

I stayed at Crossland for several weeks. The rooms were extremely cramped, paint was peeling off the exterior doors, trash was piled in the hallways and the price was about 100 dollars more than cleaner, newer extended stay properties in the area. The bed was uncomfortable without fitted sheets and you find yourself laying on a nasty mattress by morning. If you plan to stay here, get all your vaccinations as if you were going to a third world country and pack a handgun and sleep with it.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Omaha, Nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2009

I was a little disappointed to learn that when you book "non-smoking" online that it is not guaranteed. I walked into a room that reeked of 10 years of smoke in the carpet, walls and bed linens. When I asked about non-smoking rooms there were none available and I could not have a refund so they handed over a bottle of air freshener. The next best part was when I went into the shower, it obviously hadn't been cleaned because there was soap that had already been used and there was small curly black hairs (one can only imagine!!!!) stuck to the wall of the shower. They either need to hire a new cleaning crew or a cleaning crew period.

People have written that it was worth the amount of $ they paid but seriously I'm not sure if that's the truth. It seemed like a pretty great deal until I was hit with over $15 in taxes and fees, which at that point a Super 8 or Motel 6 would have def. beat this one out. It is right next to the highway which is very convenient but at the same time the walls were so thin it was very loud.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Independence
0.9 km away
1.0 km away
Super 8 Independence Kansas City
3.3 km away
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Kansas City

Been to Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Independence? Share your experiences!