New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Amankila

Amankila
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Manggis
New York City, New York
“Much better second time around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

With memories fading of a miserable experience at the hotel two years ago we decided to roll the dice and give it another go, chancing that our past negative experience was a freak event. The seamingly endless chorus of positive reviews that Amankila receives gave us the confidence to revisit. In short I am thankful that we did. We had a fantastic time second time around enjoying the lush surroundings, exquisite food and attentive service. The BBQ on the beach experience is not to be missed but book ahead as only one lucky couple gets the beach to themselves. The GM, Tracey runs a tight ship, and we were blown away by the pre-emptive service. I am so happy that we returned and we will be back. One small gripe, the property lacks a decent gym; the fitness pavilion is too sparce. Great experience otherwise and would HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Topcat212

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Setting 5 stars, service was excellent with very friendly and efficient staff. We ate dinner each evening in the hotel and the quality and choice of menu was superb. We also took an half day tour - great driver/guide with excellent knowledge - not rushed.

Room Tip: All rooms were marvelous with great sea views and privacy
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frank r
Tonawanda NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

This hotel exceeded all expectations. The service was superb. The setting is beautiful and on a mountain side in the country. While there are steps, they did provide golf car service to our suite as well as assistance on all steps. We were up=graded to a suite with an infinity pool that overlooked the Indian Ocean, What could be better!!!

Room Tip: Know that there are stairs. If you are young or "stairmaster" users you will love the exe...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mcavanaugh
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

Me and my husband stayed there for six nights recently in villa 7. It is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in quite a few. Apart from the great views of the ocean the 4 pools and the great villa itself this hotel has things that other 5 star ones do not. The staff is very helpful and know their jobs and the manager told us that some people work there for 20 years since the resort opened which shows that building loyalty is a good thing. The food at the restaurant was excellent something very hard to find and we also met the chef who mentioned that he could make off the menu stuff we liked. Try the beetroot risotto I had it twice!
One of the best things was not having to sign the bill everytime we ordered something in the bar, restaurant, poolside bar as they have their way of notifying each other where you are and what villa you are in. Another great thing was the absence of western taped music which I find really tacky in quite a few resorts that think that all their customers listen to ballads or lounge music non- stop. They had a few locals playing nice and discreet gamelan music in the evenings which is traditional Bali stuff. They also had a larger orchestra accompanying dancing groups sometimes but again it felt like the real thing!
Villa 7 seemed quite private compared to some others mentioned in reviews and I would go for it again. It had an ocean view when sitting outside and lovely jungle view when inside. The view to the jungle was equally impressive and very nice to watch the rainy season storms from your bed. Mind you this is the jungle and if you sleep with open windows you will have plenty of crawling insects visiting so we kept things closed (they have nets in the windows but it was not enough). There is a good aircon in the room so this is not an issue. When we were out we found a few dead insects which is nothing given the location of the place. I reckon they spray it a lot even if it doesn't smell and that is the reason. But as they have a poster kind of bed you won't find anything on the bed just on the floor.
I am not into having a separate spa necesarily and people that do might find it upsetting. They had this bale bed type of thing in the jungle close to the beach but it wasn't a spa. However you could do massages at the room and the one I had was one of the best ones it was the shoulders and back with Mrs Ning. They tend to be firm which I like but you can let them know. They had some yoga classes in some other area which I didn't go to as I am a pilates person.
The three tiered pools are amazing but it can get quite hot up there and if you want something more refreshing you can go to the enormous pool in a garden by the beach really impressive and it gets more shadow. You can either walk a 7 min walk down there with quite a few steps or arrange them to take you by car. We don't ming walking and we never used the car. If I want to be objective this is not a great place for disabled travellers as there a few steps if you want to go from the three pools to one of the restaurants.
They also arrange walks, hikes, snorkels, dining by the beach kind of thing. We did a treck which was decsribed as very scenic along eastern bali and it was very good and the guide very nice and friendly. If you are scared of dogs beware as they tend to bark a lot when walking in villages. I was bitten once in Cambodia and if the same thing happens to you in Bali a flight to Singapore and anti-rabbies treatment is a must as they had a big rabies problem a few years ago. I managed ok though despite being scared. The snorkel was good but not amazing but this was the rain season so the sea was full of stuff (plastic mainly) at places.
They arrange trasport from the airport and have in mind that while the distance is normally 1.5 hours allow yourself extra time as the roads could be closed so alternative routes are used or due to traffic. Have a walk to nearby Mangis village close to the place it's worth it for the real experience.
In all an excellent experience one of the best!

Room Tip: No 7 is very private.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trueLondoner
Seoul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

We arrived on January 21 and I am writing this review from Villa 21 (where the prior reviewer also stayed). Many of the reviews made references to the insects, so I will start with this. Yes, there are ants on the floor of the villa. While I would be shocked at the same number of ants at a room in Manhattan or Tokyo, this is, after all, deep in the East Bali jungle. If they really bother you, they already have bug spray and repellant (organic) in your room.

All of the remaining aspects of the room were so flawless, even the ants didn't bother me. I stayed at Amanpulos several years ago, and I was looking forward to my second stay at an Aman. I was not disappointed. I was met at the airport after getting out of my gate and before passport control. We were whisked through visas and baggage with no problem (my flight got in at 1 am but there was no issue with Aman). We were quickly checked in and found ourselves in our room no problem.

The location of the resort is unique. The villas are literally draped over a cliff, with walkways set atop piers about 20 feet over the jungle. I would not sweat over getting an ocean view, as you are perched about 100 meters above sea level (it's a walk down to the beach).

Breakfast is ordered a la carte and there are no buffets. Which was great. My very first breakfast, I think I started to get the zen of Aman. It's not that Aman restaurants have some famous rock star chef. But you can taste, see, hear and feel this uncompromising and awe-striking attentiveness and attention to detail that just takes your breath away and wonder why no other hotel can do this. And all this came from a plate of scrambled eggs and bacon. The eggs were whipped perfectly...I could go on and on but I am sure others have said enough. The entire staff from the Manager on down really care about the guests and somehow they have not ended up jaded. I have spent three days here and I would recommend it to everyone.

The location is a bit different -- unlikeNusa Dua or Jimbaran, this is not a typical beach destination. The beach itself faces east, so there are no picturespque sunsets. But there is something to be said for being at an ultra-luxe hideaway resort at a part of Bali that no one has really heard about.

The excursions on offer are fine, I did the scuba thing also, but focused more on the fishing for my six year old son. All of the staff were very helpful, and they were trained very well. No one was making it obvious they wanted tips.

Here's one innovation I really appreciated. At all of the meals, and for all of the excursions, there was nothing to sign. No blanks for the tips to fill in on the receipt. I really like this idea. I am going to tip of course, but not having to sign something at room service or for the breakfast, etc., was really refreshing, and something I think all hotels should and could adopt really easily.

My unconditional compliments to Ms. Tracy Atherton, the General Manager, and her unparalleled staff. You have all of us wondering why all the other hotel chains in the hotel just can't "get it" like you guys do.

Room Tip: If you are not up for the stairs, it may be worth asking for a room which is more readily accessible...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mohammedyu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manggis
2.7 km away
3.5 km away
Bloo Lagoon Village
Bloo Lagoon Village
#2 of 4 in Padangbai

Been to Amankila? Share your experiences!