“Wonderful holiday resort”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Manggis
cyprus
“Wonderful holiday resort”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Absolutely beautiful, secluded villa resort of highest standard. Never been to an Aman resort before, but we were most impressed with all aspects: location is beautiful in a rainforest area, close to a secluded beach (own watersports staff with no doubt many activities available), our villa was large, wonderfully furnished and above all service was exceptional and very friendly, as is often the case on Bali.
Would definitely recommend for couples, families, honeymooners...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 January 2012

This was our second stay at an Aman Resort and it was again a wonderful experience. We first spent 8 days at the Intercontinental Resort in Jimbaran which was a huge family resort. The Intercon suited our 9yr old son well as the grounds were large and he could play and make friends with the many kids there. However, it's in the gut of Bali tourist area so the traffic was horrific and the environment is far less natural and beautiful as the outer areas.

We were ready for a change. Amankila sent 2 cars to pick up my family, luggage, and surfboards. It was a 1.5hr drive to the resort; the first 1hr was spent in traffic in the Sanur area but once we got past Sanur the driving was smooth and scenary was enjoyable. Upon arrival our bags were taken to our rooms and we were checked in at our villa #21. Some tastey welcome drinks were served and everyday there were complimentary treats on the mini bar. The villa had a wonderful ocean view, was clean simple and tastefully done. Aman style is not gaudy it's simple stylish and practical. The room had everything we needed yet no TV which actually was a very nice change as we had a lot of quality family time to chat and read together.

A few things came up with the room but nothing major; the windows do not close completely tight so there is a crack between the frames; you will need to use the window screens or else insects will enter your room. We didn't know about this the first night and had several friends enter the room at night when the lights are on. Second is #21 has a wonderful ocean view but it also has the staircase right in front of the front veranda. It didn't bother us as we rarely saw anyone walk by and we really don't care if people see us walking around the room half naked; but for those who do care you would want to shut the front shutters whenever you change clothes. Finally, I think whenever the villa is cleaned an insect spray is used and it causes insects to come out of the cracks and several dead insects end up lying around the room. One day we came back to our villa and found a lot of dead insects in our room plus a bunch of half dead ones crawling around. My wife absolutely goes crazy when she sees cockroaches and she saw a lot of them. Still it didn't ruin our stay at all. It's part of Bali. My cell phone got no reception in the villa; this is good and bad but I had to work one day so I camped out in the library for 3 hours. The library is a nice small comfortable place to get a little work done.

Food: we ate all our meals at the resort. We ate one lunch down at the beach poolside, all of our breakfasts at the breakfast restaurant next to the upper pools and all of our dinners at the upper restaurant. No complaints on the meals at all. Service was very good, food well prepared, and you could and should ask for your food to be prepared any way you want. We often ordered our fish and meats with the sauce on the side just because the sauces can be hit and miss and my son doesn't eat spicy foods yet. We found the fresh steamed fish with steamed green vegetables (not on the menu) to be our favorite. We learned at Amanpuri you can order anything cooked anyway you want so we did. My son was happy with kids pastas for most of his meals. I thought the selection on the menu lacked some of the International flare we usually find in Bali but we didn't get bored of the food as we only stayed for 4 days. One week would have caused us to get creative with the menu. Again, service was excellent and we never heard NO during our entire stay.

Pools: the upper tier pools are really special and we spent a lot of time swimming in all 3 pools. The water in the pools is crystal clear and the views are spectacular. I like how the pools are shallow on both ends and gradually go deeper in the middle; what a wonderful design. My son was in heaven and having a ball. We were a bit conscience about the other guests as few of them had kids so we didn't want to disturb them. This might be an issue if your kids are loud. The upper pools are more quiet with the private vales surrounding the pools. The beach pool and beach might be better for kids to let loose.

Beach: the beach is private and has several beach vales which I highly recommend. The vales are very private and the beach staff will look after you very well. We played around with the boogey boards in the ocean and I took out the SUP board for a ride. The beach boys played soccer with my son which was nice. The water is not very clear but warm and safe. The sand on the beach is like dark sugar and clean. One downer about Bali is the pollution (rubbish) in the ocean, beach, and around town. It's are real shame and the gov't really should do something about it as it's very ugly at times. We spent half our time at the beach pool and beach and the other half at the upper pools.

Carts/Stairs: #21 was well positioned for the hotel. It was a short nice walk to reception, restaurants and pools. The beach however can be a trek and although we never did it on foot one guest told us not to as it's a workout. We took the carts to the beach. The carts are wonderful and come within 5 minutes.

Morning Cruise/Snorkeling Tour: we highly recommend this. We joined 7 other guests for an Aman boat cruise and snorkeling tour out of Padang Bai which is a 10 minute drive away. The boat is interesting, staff very friendly, and the snorkeling is very easy, safe and you'll see a lot of fish. After snorkeling, you come out of the ocean and a nice lunch is waiting for you. The snorkeling is decent but not world class WOW material. One suggestion I would have is for the boat staff to help beginners more by explaining the basics about snorkeling. I think a 5-10 minute on the boat explanation on how to snorkel would help ease some of the anxiety beginners have. We are experienced snorkelers and jumped right in the ocean but noticed some guests struggling as it was their first time. The most important issue is for the guest to feel safe and enjoy the fish; they can't do that if they don't know what to do. I've operated dive tours before and that was our goal; if the guest feels safe enjoys the ocean and fish it's magical and they want to come back again and again. If they have a bad experience, it's almost like a traumatic event. The ocean is like that.

Staff: as i said the staff were very helpful and our needs were always taken care of. The drivers and airport staff were very helpful as the Amankila staff took us all the way to immigration. The staff managed to go staight to the Garuda window and ask them to open up a closed window and serve us first despite the cue. I felt a little guilty but went with the flow. Tracy, the resort manager, greeted us on arrival and checked in on us periodically. She also sent us beautiful flowers to our villa; the flowers had a wonderful fragrance. Thanks Tracy.

Spa Treatments: my wife and I both enjoyed a spa treatment during our stay. My massage was with Gusti and he is just insanely good. Gusti is an elder local health guru. Gusti is soft spoken and says very little but you can tell he oozes with confidence in his ability. He worked my body and took out all of the knots I had. It was seriously one of the best massages I've ever had. My massage took place at the massage pavillion which is just a converted villa. My wife also enjoyed her treatment; she said it was also one of the best she's had and she's had a lot. Her treatment took place at our villa so my son and I left the villa for a few hours to give her privacy; this was a bit weird but worked out just fine. Highly recommend the spa treatment and if you like strong massages request Gusti.

As we traveled with our 9yr old son, we found 4 days perfect at the Amankila. My son didn't get bored at all. However, a week may be a bit much for young kids. The resort is small and quaint. We enjoyed meeting other guests and you'll see them everyday during meal times.

Looking forward to our next Aman experience; it's really special.

Room Tip: Villa #21 has a nice ocean view, is ideally located distance wise from the main facility, but if you...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 26 December 2011

This is a resort to go to if you'd like to get a bit of true Balinese culture but want Aman standards. Excursions are fantastic around this region. Food was not consistent and the rooms were a bit dated. But the hospitality of the management and staff as well as holistic feel of this location and architecture can not be underestimated. Highly recommed private dinner in the local hills as well as boat trip around the region. As with all Amanresorts in Bali, three nights would be sufficient in appreciating the beauty and feel of the particular location in the Island.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Luxrus
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We have stayed in many Aman resorts around the world and Amankila is up there as a favourite.

The 90 minute drive up to Amankila, from the airport, is quite pleasant and the driver was very friendly. We received a lovely warm welcome by the General Manager Tracey, when we arrived, and really enjoyed catching up with her during our stay. Entering our villa for the first time we were greeted by a large bowl of tropical fruit and a note from Tracey welcoming us to the resort.

Our luxurious pool villa was located in a walled enclosure accessed by a wooden gate. The villa was recently refurbished and we just loved the attention to detail of the classic design by the original architect and designer of the resort - Ed Tuttle. The villa was well lit by natural light with views to the rainforest and back to the ocean. Separate concealed sliding screens (translucent & wooden block out) slid back to cover the glazed areas as required. Comfy day beds were located adjacent to the glazing offering intimate views out to the lush landscape. There was external access, from the private pool deck, to the internal shower. The bathroom was huge with two zones of hanging space and bag storage and plenty of natural light. The bedding was top quality. Our private pool was a good size adjacent to a covered outdoor terrace - with a dining table and day bed.

We were in one of the villas that was close to the central facilities, however, enjoyed walking around the resort on the raised walkways and stairways to the top of the resort and back down to the beach every morning. Although very happy with the location of our villa we wouldn't have worried if we were in one of the villas closer to the top of the resort. The walk up the hill was not taxing.

The dramatic terraced central pool area, with its extensive views to the ocean, is stunning and we enjoyed being pampered by the friendly pool attendants. The walk down to the beach was magical. The beach was very clean with covered cabanas along its length. We also enjoyed spending time around the pool directly behind the beach. It sits in a rainforest - waves crashing in the background. An pool restaurant with covered terrace is located adjacent to the pool.

Overall the standard of the food was excellent and we mostly ordered the local cuisine. Our villa was so special that we did enjoy quite a few meals there - and all were perfect. We indulged each night with pre-dinner drinks in the lovely open air bar to watch the sun set. Returning to our beautiful villa with our pool lit by candlelight and small treats left by the turn-down staff.

We really noticed how well the resort was maintained by the ever present but unobtrusive staff. The villas were sparklingly clean (inside and out). The manicured hedges along the pathways and roadway didn't have a leaf out of place and the external walkways looked like they had been scrubbed clean overnight.

Amankila is the complete package. A lovely GM who makes you feel extremely welcome in her beautiful resort. Attentive and kind staff who can't do enough to ensure that you enjoy your stay. Timeless architecture and interior design. Great F & B. A gorgeous location in a lush rainforest with extensive views to the ocean.

Another Aman triumph.

Room Tip: The pool villas are sublime
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Elysia
San Francisco
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Amankila is a beautiful, secluded resort built on gorgeous walkways on the side of a hill. Tracy, the manager, is just as beautiful and gracious as the resort she runs. Anything you could possibly want, all you have to do is ask. We split our Aman Bali Experience (a great deal!) trip between Amandari and here, spending more nights here due to reviews saying that Amankila is the more lovely; however, if I could do it again, I would do more nights at dari and less at kila. The reason being is that I am a restless person. I really don't know how to sit still. I like moving around and changing my scenery. Plus, I did feel slightly out of place here. It is a very luxurious hotel, with a staff at your beck and call.

We originally had No. 5, which had a lovely ocean view, but because No. 6 and 7 were further on the walkways, there was a definite lack of privacy. No. 6 and 7 would be lovely rooms to request as there are at the end. We decided that we wanted a pool suite, but unfortunately there were none available that night. The staff did us no wrong though, as No. 24 was perfect.

Why upgrade to the pool suites? The walls that surrounds the terrace and pool area gives you the ultimate privacy. Anyone walking by will not be able to look in. No. 24 also had the advantage of having a view: it overlooks the property out to the ocean beyond. The only downside to getting N0. 24 is that it sits at the very top and back of the property... so be prepared for lots of stairs. At night, the staff lights candles around the pool and the atmosphere of swimming by candlelight while gazing up at the stars is just unbeatable.

More often than not, we ate in our room. When we went on excursions, you had the option of being picked up and dropped off at the top of the hill, which was only a short walk to and from the suite.

The first night there, we ate at the restaurant, and the staff knew it was my birthday from the passport I produced at Amandari. Neither my partner nor I mentioned anything to anyone, but after dinner, the kitchen staff out and sang happy birthday, presented me with a cake, and each shook my hand afterwards to congratulate me. It's touches like this that makes you feel like a cherished guest at the Aman, where everyone looks after you and makes sure you're happy.

Oh, and I have to say that the massages here are simply the best. I had two treatments here and one over at Amandari, and these rate at the top.Definitely make sure you at least book the Amankila massage. The products are all natural and they smell wonderful, without being overbearing.

In terms of food, we prefer to eat the local cuisine, and found the non-western menu a bit limiting. The shakes and blended drinks were amazing, especially since neither of us drink alcohol, so it was a pleasant surprise to find so many virgin cocktails on the menu.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lazymountain
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manggis
2.7 km away
Alila Manggis
#1 of 8 in Manggis
31.2 km away
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Amankila? Share your experiences!