“Return to Scratch”
Review of Scratch

Scratch
Reserve with Chope
Scratch is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 248 Restaurants in Kerobokan
Cuisines: Asian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Purposely located off the beaten paths of nearby Oberoi and Kerobokan streets, SCRATCH is a new restaurant serving up "homecooked, like your momma did it, Sunday dinner, comfort food". SCRATCH is a needle in the haystack (or rice field in this case), located on a quiet street only five minutes away from Seminyak Square. SCRATCH is smoke-free and air conditioned with an outside patio for smoking and hanging out. It's got a relaxed atmosphere and hip decor, as the walls are lined with vibrant concert posters from bands like Cake, Arcade Fire and Neil Young, and more than likely you'll be hearing similar bands over the speakers. The menu is equally inviting, and can best be described as gourmet comfort food. But clearly the Canadian chef/owner (conveniently nicknamed Moose) won't settle for "mom's recipes", as it is obvious he enjoys putting a unique twist on most of his dishes. Signature steaks, rustic pastas, tapas, American classics, Asian favourites, and great specials during Happy Hour (8pm-10pm)...And you can wash it all down with a mango martini or a frosty mug of beer. So, if you've got an itch...Come and SCRATCH it!! NOTE: The map provided by Trip Advisor has us pinned in the wrong location. So, please call us for directions, or just jump in a taxi and tell them "Scratch restaurant, Jalan Pengubengan Kauh, next to Pengubengan Banjar". Thanks, and hope to see you here soon.
Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

It was over three years since my wife and I ate at this hidden gem, I was anticipating fantastic food great drinks and the same chilled vibe i remembered from past ..... Well we were both blown away with our first drink, a Bloody Mary perfectly salty (clam juice) spiced and garnished with ..wait for it a mouthwatering slab of smoked bacon and an asparagus spear !
They have taken the B/M to the next level!
The food was just as good,Buffalo wings ..spicy crispy with a tangy blue cheese dressing were melt in the mouth perfect.
Belly pork and crackling was also very good .
Mains were Clam Chowder bowl heaped with juicy mollusks in rich creamy sauce almost had me licking the dish and the Moroccan Stew was chickpeas beef fennel and roasted eggplant that was delicious and filling . Our thanks to the team and captain Aaron at Scatch for once again giving our taste buds a wakeup call.People do not settle for alright food try Scratch you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 26 July 2018 via mobile

Always itching to get back to Scratch. Still a hidden gem in so much as 2 out of 3 taxi drivers have no idea where it is...and it is still in Kerobokan. Rumours of a move to Canggu still just rumours, it seems.
A few changes have occurred to the layout of both the restaurant and the menu. The menu seems to have lost some of its native Canadian charm, and making a selection has become easier...but that is not a positive. I used to love pondering long and hard over so many delicious sounding alternatives. Given I had always previously been easily tempted by Canadian favourites it is ironic that last night I chose the layover in Macau. This may not be a new option, I think it was there last time, but does demonstrate a shift in emphasis. And it was quite delicious, but not as good as my wife’s steak...the best she’s had in a long time.
Only a four star review this time. Somewhat mean...but call me old fashioned, or nostalgic, but the Scratch 2017 Canadian tour was better than the 2018 one...a nod to all the concert posters adjourning the walls! Of those I rated Florence and the Machine my favourite.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

First night in Bali - everyone was exhausted from travel. We did a search for the closest place and found Scratch - literally across the street from our villa. You might judge us, but we ate there every night for the entire week - and a couple of times for breakfast too. It was the perfect ending to our busy travel days and if you can avoid traffic, why wouldn't you?!

The food selection and preparation are excellent. Can highly recommend the burger, the tacos, the Philly cheese steak, the breakfast tacos and the bulletproof coffee. If you want dessert, order at the same time as your entree as they take a little while to make.

Mixed drinks seemed to be a challenge for the bartenders. A few times our food came out before our drinks, but that was probably for the best as it limited how many drinks we had. Milkshakes are more milk than shake, but still delicious.

Staff is conscientious and hard working. Highly recommend Scratch!

1  Thank Shoesprings
Reviewed 10 July 2018

First of all, Scratch offers the best bloody mary's on the island. Hands down. They have a list of 5 or 6 different varieties, each one with a different twist, and an edible garnish that could almost double as a meal. Their Canadian twist made with clam broth comes with a big slab of house-made cured bacon. The classic comes with a grilled cheese sandwich (just try it), and I'm currently making my way down the list.

But if boozing isn't your thing, they make amazing meals. I tried their bbq pork ribs that came with a well-seasoned coleslaw and some of the best mac and cheese I've had in a long time. On certain days you get a free beer for ordering the ribs.

Overall the ambiance is very mellow, they have colorful indie band tour posters all over the walls, and multiple TV screens where they show sports matches from UFC to football. It's also never too distracting if you're not into the sports.

Service is genuinely friendly and the staff are more than happy to explain menu details to you. Pricing is reasonable for Bali, though I wouldn't categorize it as a 'cheap meal' by any means. Around 80 to 150k for mains, 50k appetizers. To give you an idea :)

Overall, I'm glad to have this joint as my local bar and gastro-pub. Check it out if you're ever in the Kerobokan or Batu Belig area!

1  Thank Anton M
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We found Scratch because our accommodation was over the road and we thought we would check it out....and ended up back almost every day of our week long stay. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food which was value for money in comparison to Seminyak. The alcoholic drinks were about AU$8 for spirits and $11 for a cocktail...of which I sampled many! The rose sangria was very drinkable as well. The pool table out the front was a draw card for us and is free to play. The service is typical of Indonesian hospitality, friendly, welcoming and never rushed. We visited on our last night and with a private local party going on inside it was very busy, but the staff looked after us by bringing us drinks and checking on us while we played pool outside.
It was just like our local, on holidays.