All reviews tania accommodation sea homestay bali nature
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I found the place to be much as expected, if anything it was cuter than I expected and the area quieter. It is on a really local bit of beach, there are a few other hotels about, but we were there when it was pretty quiet and it was mainly locals on the beach at sunset. The beach is pebbly and black but with jungly views behind and the water is OK for swimming.
The rooms themselves are lovely, very basic but the better rooms have a little fridge in, but don't expect much in the way of furniture. Each room has some nice little areas to sit in - balcony/underneath sofa/beds and a dining table, and the grounds are small but very sweet with lots of greenery and little ponds etc.
The place is actually right off the main road between Padang Bai and Candidasa, and right next to the sea. The rooms at the front have lovely sea views.
The breakfast was OK, we just asked for what we wanted. One day Made was cooking fish and I said it smelt great, so he gave me this for breakfast with some rice, he was a really lovely guy. The coffee and tea is available all day and the family and staff are really genuinely friendly and nice. If you are sitting up at their house, then they and their children and dogs may be around chatting to you and being a normal family, but if you are at your room you are left alone.
I loved it here, just relaxing and reading books and wandering along the beach and watching the waves. I think it is a really interesting and pretty place to stay and was happy to pay what they are asking for the room. I will definitely stay here is I come back to Bali.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2011

i was initially travelling alone but met someone on the plane from darwin to denpasar and he decided he'd come and stay with me at lumbung damuh as he had no sleeping arrangements yet. it was absolutely fantastic, i would love to live there if it was in an area better suited for my entertainment, i think i'd get bored as there is not a lot to do. we enjoyed drinking arak, eating durian and mangosteen, sitting drinking rice wine with the locals while they played the guitar and singing. looovely bathroom, mosquito nets, nice beds and a cot if you have a baby. they bring you breakfast in the morning with lovely coffee in a really pretty flask, the only thing that i could pick at is there is not a lot to do in the area or places to get good food, i spent quite a bit of time hungry in the evening even though the owners kept offering for us to go and have dinner in their house but i'm quite shy so didn't.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank floz123
Reviewed 9 August 2010

The photos on their website very misleading - the actual property was not very spacious, clean or tidy. Our room was double booked when we arrived. We were offered a smaller hut with no apology. The hut was very disappointing and the upper floor near the entrance felt like it might give way. The kitchen looked really dirty - i certainly wouldn't eat there. I wouldn't recommend this at all.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Traveller204674
Reviewed 8 June 2010

We stayed in 6 hotels during our last trip and this was the most expensive (apart from a suite in Ubud) - also the least value for money.

We loved the situation, the village, the locals, the local restaurants which were very good BUT Lumbung Damuh seems to be in serious need of some TLC.

We stayed in the superior cottage close the beach and it was a beautiful little spot, but little things made a big dfference. No glasses, no soap, towels which I would have thrown out years ago. The downstairs part of the cottage was dirty - I,m not overly fussy or have a problem with a bit of dust but I just wasn,t happy sitting on the day bed.

We saw the owner a couple of times but she never made a effort to speak to us or even acknowledge us. It seems a real shame that such a gem seems to be falling by the wayside.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2010

I was recommended this place by friends who gave it high marks. We were surprised by the uniqueness and setting. The owner contacted us several times and made sure we were coming and guaranteed us the room we asked for which we got ( the superior room in front-it is really nice). The owners weren't there at the time so we were greeted by a very nice caretaker who made sure we were accommodated. The only real beef I have is that when we arrived several people (friends?locals?) were hanging out in front right in front of the entrance, literally, having a little party. So we had to go around them to get to the sidewalk entrance-it was obvious they were having a mid-day drink-hey fine, no problem, I love a good party too. But then when we wandered up the street that night for dinner we came back and there were even more folks around, obviously pretty loaded by now. Again they blocked our way to get through and I felt almost like we were interrupting the drinking party in order to get in/go through. I would think that if they cared about making somewhat of a decent impression they wouldn't make their guests feel like they were interrupting their private party. They even asked my companion if he would like to join them (hey how about me?). Our caretaker by now was polluted. Yet the next day he was there to greet us with coffee, tea and breakfast. He did go out of his way to make sure we were taken care of. Just the weird entrance blocking and the slight snickering was off putting. Other than that, the place was one of the most unique places I have ever been. (I would just run my business a little different)

*Oh and don't expect the neighbors next door to be quiet in the morning-they are up with the roosters!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple