“better to avoid”

The Gopinivas Grand Kanyakumari
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Kanyakumari
Reviewed 25 January 2012

That was my first visit to kanyakumari. Being the year-end rush and since there were no rooms available I had to book this almost one month advance. It's a very very cheap hotel within every one's range, and in a good location. we have been lodged in a road facing room which was full of dust as the window was open although cleaned after we reported. bathroom was stinking. some how we managed to stay for 1 night there.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mihirdebnath

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night, in Dec 27, 2011. It was the peak season in Kanyakumari. I couldn't find any other hotel when I started my search for accomodation in Kanyakumari in Oct 2011. Hence, we had no options but to book here. Strictly speaking, this is one of those claustrophobic lodges found in extremely crowded tourist spots. We booked deluxe non-ac rooms and paid 1 night advance. Unfortunately, when we arrived at 13:00 hours, they gave our room but said they have run out of fresh towels and can give only after 2 hours! We finally got the towels only in the evening. Rooms were small and shabby, bed was small, bathrooms were small but clean (relief!). No hot water in the bathromm, there was one common geyser outside at the end of the corridor common area, from where all rooms had to take hot water in buckets. The full night, the corridors were noisy and lights from the corridor, road poured into the rooms as curtains were not enough to cover windows. It was extremely difficult to sleep due to noise and light and you feel disgusted when your kid wakes up due to noisy of the street, cars, TVs from other rooms or corridor noise. From the morning, the manager keeps asking, when we would leave the rooms! Few good things about the location of this hotel- it is close to the Rock Memorial Ferry ride and next to the hotel, there were good small bengali resturants to eat!

But honestly, I would never ever venture close to this place or any hotel of the Sangam group of hotels. For those who like to travel on a budget and don't care much about service, room quality and ambience this might still be passable!

Room Tip: If you like to stay in clean good rooms, good bathrooms, quiet/peaceful ambience, then try other hot...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank NandiNabarun
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Firstly this is just a lodge and does not have an accompanying restaurant. Got a room for Rs. 600 to accommodate 3, which, I would say is relatively inexpensive. Though the room appeared no frills, it was clean. The co-ordinator Mr. Antony was really courteous and helpful. But the guys at the reception seemed pretty blunt and harsh.

The rooms did not have quilts; I was later told at the reception that it was the case as the place remains pretty warm. But making an assumption of that kind is never acceptable. It was disappointing that they were not ready to provide the quilts. The next day, I happened to meet the MD, who was shocked at the above incident and after an immediate apology, arranged for the quilts. He and Antony also helped us plan a tour and they were only 2 people I met there who spoke decent English. The room boys looked highly starved for money. Though they never seemed concerned for the 2 days we stayed, they were shameless enough to ask for "chai paani" and, for reasons, I did not mind being rude by not obliging. This is an example that room boys and reception guys are important to make your stay pleasant or a unpleasant one.

If you plan to roam around most of the time and just need the room for overnight stay, then this hotel is fine. This place is a big no-no for relaxing. The beach/sunrise/sunset cannot be viewed from the hotel but the beach is pretty close by.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank VB_82
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I went for a 3 night 4 day trip to Kanyakumari with my wife....Booked the hotel through clear trip and was excited for the trip. Specially chose the hotel as it mentioned that the hotel had a parking space and we would be driving down from Bangalore to Kanyakumari so it would be safe for the car at night.... My excitement ended right when we reached the hotel there was no parking space for cars in fact the hotel does not have any space of itself in front he space in front of the hotel belongs to the taxi guys and they would not allow you to park your car there so I had to go ahead and search for parking space myself and park my car somewhere else.... Still I tried to be calm and didn't want to spoil the vacation so checked in the hotel.... The rooms was the second let down, it is terrrible, Toilet seat broken, TV not working, window latch broken little wind and the window gets banged against the pannel, bed sheets were stained....Total let down.... The worst was yet to come....Everyday morning 5 am in the morning someone would come and knock at the door and wake you up and ask if you want tea, if you ask it later at around 8 am no one would come with it....The hotel does not have a restaurant of its own whichthey have mentioned they do. The room boy would collect money and go and buy the food from outside and serve you just like you have in train.....the first day I ordered for food from them and the food was pathetic, learnt that it is better to go to Seeba restaurant or Sea view restaurant just opposite rather tthan ordering from them....after the food was over the room boy came and started demanding for money as tip as I gave him some money he demanded that I need to give him more as there were 5 people...was really pissed of at their attitude....The day I was checking out the manager created a fuss demanding more money for no reason....The room boy, drivers around, Security guard started demanding money, whereas I was looking out and parking my car all this while...If you do not pay them they would start talking in their local language and making fun of you including the Manager....This was the worst experience till now and the vacation turned out to be a nightmare.....It is better to check in to Sea Face or Trisea which is more or less the same value per day than checking in the Gopi Nivas Grand actually nothing Grand about it.

Room Tip: It is better to check in to Sea Face Hotel or Trisea Hotel which is more or less the same value per...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank christopherradhika
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We had booked this hotel from Sangam group of hotels by one who said that he is the manager namely Mr Antony, But when we reached at hotel the person in reception told we have no booking then we had given a choice to go to the other hotel I fail to understand how it happen. What I think no one should book this one in advance. I hard from the other guests that they are having problems also. Their show room is good but go-down is bad.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends