The best thing about this place is the amazing beach - white sand as far you you can see in either direction and blissfully uncrowded. But there are much better hotels in the same area - we left Pollethai and went to the Abad Turtle Beach down the road - so much better.
The Beach at Pollethai would be fine if they were charging for a 2 or maybe 3 star hotel. But they are not. They are charging 5 star prices and it's simply not worth it. The accommodation is basic and slightly shabby. The canals in the property are full of rotting leaves and harbour swarms of mosquitos (the manager called them "crystal clear" - what a joke). Across the canal from our room were heaps of black plastic rubbish sacks. The manager claimed they were full of leaves not rubbish and could not understand why we had a problem with "the view". One of the doors to our room did not work, the safe did not work, the cleaning was poor. etc, etc. In common with other bad reviews on this site we found the staff - while well meaning - are either incompetent or powerless to do deal with a complaint as they are ruled by the "director" in Cochin who cannot be disobeyed.
If you are paying downmarket prices then you expect a place to be rough around the edges and you put up with it. But the Beach at Pollethai is having a laugh charging top dollar. It needs a makeover and decent management but until then I cannot recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Beach Resort with picturesque views, with a river that runs at the side and channels that cut through the resort. The beach is private, and there is breakfast shack on the beach, with its own kitchen. The restaurant overlooks the swimming pool which looks over the river to the sea. Very exclusive and peaceful. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Beach At Pollethai Hotel Alappuzha
- Beach At Pollethai Kerala
- Beach At Pollethai Hotel
- The Beach At Pollethai Kerala/Alappuzha, India