See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 December 2016

This hotel located in the new developing area of Zhangzhou with new facilities and clean rooms. Our room can see great view of the river and bridge outside .. very comfortable stay here. Also the breakfast is delicious and various choices. Staffs here are friendly and helpful.

Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2016

I am an IHG Platinum Member. I've stayed at this hotel three times since my last review. This is definitely THE place to stay in Zhangzhou.

Cindy, Kevin, Elian, Lynsi, Lily, and many others always make me feel like I'm at home and part of their family.

During this visit, the hotel had multiple special meetings and events, including two large meeting events that happened on the same week. The hotel was at 100% full capacity, which definitely put the CP Zhangzhou Team to a test! I've visited many hotels in Asia that falter during full capacity situations like this. I have to say, the CP Zhangzhou Team stepped up their game, showing no signs of gaps or weaknesses. Truly impressive!!

A major typhoon also hit Zhangzhou in the early morning hours during my stay. When I awoke, I had no idea of the storm's severity. However, upon leaving the hotel to attend a business meeting, I saw significant damage to the area around the hotel. Trees snapped in half, awnings and fences ripped apart, etc. Apparently, whoever built the hotel planned for such weather. Aside from a shattered outer pane of glass (the inner pane of glass remained intact), there was no damage to the hotel and I never heard any of the noise!

Regarding the hotel's main area, rooms, food, and other amenities....

Lobby / Check In / Check Out:
The lobby is huge, very clean, and has a nice layout. If you walk in and appear to be semi-lost, one of the lobby staff will suddenly appear and happily help point you in the right direction. Check in is generally quick and efficient. Check out can sometimes be challenging, but not due to the hotel staff. Many times I have been in line and had other (Chinese) guests walk up and simply cut to the front of the line. Those of you who travel to Asia frequently know what I am talking about. Since I am a Lao Wei (foreigner), these guests seem to think it's OK. The hotel desk staff is always polite in redirecting these people to the back of the line, and then proceed to apologize to me (apology form the hotel staff is NOT needed - they didn't cut in line!), and then complete my check out. Again - this IS NOT a hotel issue, but a guest issue.

Rooms:
I have yet to get a bad room here. I prefer a room facing east or south, as it gives a great view of the surrounding area. However, if yo uget a higher room, you can get a nice veiw, regardless of which way your room faces. Each room is clean and well maintained, with new/modern furnishings, a large flat screen TV, great beds, and a nice sized desk. Power outlets are on both sides of the bed, at the desk, and in the bathroom. Some rooms even have a 4 port USB charger next to the bed, to make it super convenient to plug in any type of device. The desks have an HDMI and regular computer port to connect your laptop to the TV.

Bathrooms:
The bathrooms are nicely sized and always spotless, with a separate toilet and shower area. Bathtubs vary by room type. There is a window between the main part of the room and the bathroom. It has a screen that you can raise or lower. If you are staying alone, leaving the screen open makes the room seem even bigger. If you are staying with others, the screen can be lowered for privacy. The shower has a rainfall type shower head and a hand-held sprayer. Some of the rooms have a tub that has the separate hand sprayer as well. Bathroom amenities include a Hair dryer, soap, shower gel, shampoo, toothbrushes and toothpaste, shower caps, vanity kits, and more.

Food:
In room dining is available 24 hours a day. During night hours, the selection is limited, but has something for everyone. During normal (daytime) hours, the room service menu includes everything that is on the Fresh All Day Dining restaurant menu. The menu selections range from Asian style, to Italian and Western. The Fresh ADD restaurant offers a daily buffet for breakfast and dinner. Depending on the hotel capacity and time of year, they also have a lunch buffet. Each buffet is different (they clean up and reset between each one). The buffet offers a huge variety of food, with Asian and Western favorites, along with specials based on a "theme" that changes every month (for example, one month, they featured Thai food). Pretty much something for everyone, from seafood, chicken, beef, pork, fish, seafood, sushi, sashimi, salads, pizza, pasta, various desserts, ice cream, a chocolate fountain, and more. They also offer a wide range of drinks, from coffee, tea, juice, beer, and wine. To my surprise (and delight!) they have added a SUPER FRESH canned DRAFT beer from Mut Krieger, a German brewery down the street. The beer is usually 2-3 days old and is quite refreshing!! Kudos to Kevin for finding that for me!!! There is a Chinese restaurant that I have not tried yet, but have heard that it is very nice. The Lobby Lounge is a great place to go in the evening for a night cap.

Executive Floor Lounge:
The executive floor lounge is a great place to go work in quiet. If you have access and don't want to sit in your room, this is a a relaxing place with a great view of the city. They offer a happy hour every night, with various drinks, hot snacks, small cakes, and a selection of nuts. The staff is always very polite and helpful. If you can afford it, it's definitely worth the upgrade!!!

Wifi:
The wifi is fast and reliable - wired or wireless. They have a Hong Kong VPN, so you can access Facebook, YouTube, Google, and GMail (sites usually blocked in China).

Nearby:
The hotel is very close to a "green" park area that is great for walking or jogging. If you want to go shop or look for street food, you can head over to the Wanda Plaza, which is a mall and retail shop area about 2-3 minutes away by cab or 10-15 minutes by walking. The hotel staff can give you easy directions to both places. The Mut Krieger and other pubs are located along a nearby street that runs parallel with the lake, offering great views from their patios and fun places to hang out.

Many staff members speak English. Some more than others, but all of them have improved significantly over the last year or so. If you run in to a communication issue, the staff member you are talking with is quick to say "One moment please, let me go get someone who speaks English!". Help arrives and your questions/requests are quickly handled.

Cindy, Kevin, and the other managers are always asking me for feedback and what else they can do to improve. When I do offer ideas or suggestions, they take them very seriously and do their best to implement them. I've stayed at many hotels who ask me for feedback, but then promptly ignore it after I leave. The management of the CP Zhangzhou is genuinely interested in customer feedback and continuously improving their hotel. This definitely sets the CP Zhangzhou apart from other hotels in this area, as well as across Asia. I'm running out of suggestions for them, because they keep fixing things!!!!

If you are heading to Zhangzhou, the Crowne Plaza is the place to stay!

Date of stay: September 2016
1  Thank John W
Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

The room is big and comfortable,the view through out the room is very nice and I very enjoy it. There is a shopping mall near by the hotel which name is 萬達. If you don't want to go shopping you can try some local food out of the shopping mall. I had tried 四果湯, and I think it is good to try!

Date of stay: July 2016
CrownePlazaZhangzhou, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Zhangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Zhangzhou.

We would love to have the pleasure of seeing you put the positive comments on tripadvisor.com community with comfortable guestroom and nice scenery outside the window, as you said, there is a Green Lake Ecological Park aside us, scented with the flowers and plants, and we provide bicycle rental service, you may take a look everywhere if vacant. Zhangzhou city is famous with its local special snacks. Wanda Plaza just beside our hotel within 10 minutes walking distance.

I hope that the accommodations and service were to your liking, as complete satisfaction is our goal, we are looking forward to your next visit and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Joseph Fung

Reviewed 24 March 2016

My last review of this property was less than stellar. However, much to my surprise, the management took my comments to heart and has been steadily improving!!!

While there are some things that may never change - such as the air conditioning not being available from October through May (those of you who travel frequently in China know that this is "normal") - many of the other aspects have been improved.

The rooms are well kept, modern, and very clean. Comfortable beds and a pillow menu help you get the best sleep possible. Occasionally, there are some rude guests who return to their rooms late at night shouting in the halls and slamming doors - but this is not the hotel's fault. Overall, the rooms are very quiet and comfortable.

The restaurant staff has improved in terms of their English skills, as well as faster service. Service is much faster and efficient than my previous stay - but with all of the same staff. This tells me that the GM and Executive Chef have taken serious steps to address my previous issues and improve their people - which is great to see!!

While I'd still like for them to add at least one draft beer to their beverage selections (Carlsberg or Tiger!!), their selection of beverage options is great and should make anyone happy.

The biggest improvement is the addition of a VPN - which was a pleasant surprise. No other hotel in the area offers this benefit - which means you can access Gmail, Facebook, etc, during your stay. The internet service is reliable and speed is fast, which is also a bonus!

Not only has this location evolved in to a true Crowne Plaza property, the awesome staff and their "home away from home" attitude make this a truly special place to stay. When I visit Zhangzhou, this is the ONLY hotel to consider!!! You won't be disappointed!!

Room tip: Rooms facing out the back of the hotel have a nice view!!
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
CrownePlazaZhangzhou, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Zhangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2016

Dear John W,

Thank you for taking time to share your valuable feedback to Crowne Plaza Zhangzhou with the tripadvisor.com community, and we are sincerely delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us except air conditioning and the draft beer you mentioned issue.

We are highly inspired by the comments this time you took, our elegant and warm guest rooms and suites thoughtfully designed to exceed your expectations on comfort as well as providing you with everything you need, these including VPN, more and more foreign friends like you have been in great request on it.

Also we boast that you appreciated the All-day Dining restaurant staff warm and sincere service, it is really inspiring.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, next time we would make a big different again! Please do let us know if we can be of any assistance for future bookings!

Hotel Management

Reviewed 19 October 2015

I've stayed at many Crowne Plaza hotels in China. I'm an IHG Platinum Member. Stayed for 2 nights.

As a previous reviewer noted, no mention of the Executive Lounge privileges at check in - just at check out. My room key didn't work. Check in took almost 20 minutes and it was obvious the staff was struggling with the process. Had to ask for the welcome drink coupon (again, usually offered for being a Platinum member).

Dinner buffet had a Chinese theme, which is fine. But NO signs in English identifying and of the food. Wait staff spoke little to no English, so ordering drinks, getting plates cleared, etc, was challenging.

Breakfast buffet leans more towards Chinese/Asian fare. There is an egg statin, but you have to track down the chef to order anything. Took us 15-20 minutes to receive our coffee after ordering it. They have a couple of coffee machines, but after taking our order, the wait staff simply went off to do other things. We had to remind them we were waiting for the coffee.

Dinner the second night was much the same. We tried to order "cold draft beer" (they have a lobby bar with a draft station), but this request was met with blank stares and then a 10 minute meeting with most of the wait staff, as they tried to figure out what we wanted. I finally used my phone to translate "cold draft beer" into Chinese, showed it to a waitress, and she seemed to understand. She ran off to the join the huddle of people discussing our original request (including the manager now), explained what we wanted and all seemed to understand. Hooray! Then the manager appeared at our table, with a BIG smile, and presented us with 2 cold BOTTLES of Qingdao "Draft" beer….<sigh>.

Room was clean and well kept. No musty smell, but stayed on a Non-smoking floor. TV channels were very limited (more so than at most CP properties). Internet was slow and I ended up using my own wireless repeater hooked up to the LAN cable at the desk to get slow, but reliable wifi.

Zhangzhou is not a small remote city in China, but this CP certainly has the feel of a small Chinese hotel in a remote city. The Wanda Realm hotel, which is nearby, has a staff with good english skills, better food, and wifi that works everywhere.

While this was far from a terrible experience, it is certainly not up to the "normal" CP standards that I have come to expect.

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
CrownePlazaZhangzhou, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Zhangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2015

Dear John W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Crowne Plaza Zhangzhou. We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience our service have caused you. Your comments about the problems have been documented and will certainly be looked into. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We look forward to hearing from you and to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you!

Peter Qu