“Informative guided tour”

International Civil Rights Center & Museum
Ranked #1 of 53 things to do in Greensboro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The International Civil Rights Center & Museum (ICRCM), located in Greensboro, N.C., is an archival center, collecting museum and teaching facility devoted to the international struggle for civil and human rights. This national landmark and national site of conscience celebrates the nonviolent protests of the 1960 Greensboro sit-ins that served as a catalyst in the civil rights movement. Our vision is to memorialize the courageous stand of the Greensboro Four as they launched, for posterity, the sit-in movement Feb. 1, 1960. We hope that the ICRCM, with its focus on the sit-in activities at the F.W. Woolworth lunch counter in Greensboro in 1960, will inspire the vigilance and fortify the spirit of all oppressed people to step forward in the ongoing struggle for human freedom.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We had a guided ( only way to do ) 90 minute tour with Keishawn. We had about two dozen young men on our tour, Keishawn did an excellent job engaging them in the struggles that their forefathers endured. Very impressive museum, glad we went.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,184)
All reviews
in 33 reviews
"north carolina"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We were in Greensboro visiting colleges and had the opportunity to take a tour at the ICRCM. The museum is very well done and our fabulous guide Jeanne brought it all to life. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Best tour I’ve been on by far, very heart feeling and informational. Great tour guiders best I’ve been appointed by by far also. They show great heart and dedication to their job. Amazing all around

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We wanted to explore the International Civil Rights Center & Museum after a UNCG college tour. I believe our tour guide's name was Dalton. I immediately misjudged his ability to give us a fulfilled experience of the lunch counter campaign and the civil rights movement... because he's white. At first, I was thinking 'what can this 20-something white kid wearing a bowtie tell me about the civil rights movement?' Well, A LOT! This kid had me crying at the end of the exhibit. He was engaging with his audience, and he not only told stories of what black people were going through - he felt it. Throughout the tour you'll see his genuine emotions unfold from the doors of the lunch counter, the agony of separate-but-equal (not), soulful religion, to being jailed/tormented for advocating. One of two things that reached down and touched my heart was the way he makes everyone (black and white) actually be a part of Emmett Till's experience and what that looked/feels like when you see a picture of his face from that open casket. The final heart grabbing impact is the final room of our visit where Dalton told a personal story about his own life. I won't give it away because it's his story to tell, but he had my heart captive and I will forever remember the experience. Thank you, International Civil Rights Center & Museum.

4  Thank DeBora K