“A surprise engagement”

Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Greensboro, North Carolina
“A surprise engagement”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

This past December, my fiance surprised me with a brief overnight trip to celebrate our 4 year anniversary. He planned a romantic dinner at Di Valletta where the maitre d was very friendly and accommodating. He sat us at a comfortable table next to a large window with a beautiful view and brought us a complimentary bottle of champagne to help us celebrate the special occasion. I am a sucker for attention to detail and the staff at Di Valletta delivered.

Our waiter was very professional and helpful with any questions we had. Olive oil and a delicious tuna tapenade were served with a nice assortment of breads and the chef brought us each a small refreshing complimentary appetizer between courses. We ordered the seared blackened jumbo scallops for our appetizer and the NY strip and lobster shrimp and grits as entrees. Shrimp and grits are my favorite food and it is often rare that I come across a good one. Di Valletta's rendition was fabulous! My fiance prefers his beef cooked extremely rare and his steak was exactly on par with his liking.

We also received complimentary dessert of our choice for our anniversary and we chose a tasty and refreshing fruit torte which our waiter graciously boxed up for us to enjoy in our room later since we were so full from dinner.

We headed up to our room where my fiance had gone earlier that day and already settled us in. As I surveyed the room and all its amenities my fiance dropped down to one knee and surprised me with a marriage proposal!

Our stay at Grandover was certainly memorable and I have recently been trying to get in touch with the woman who handles weddings in hopes that we may be able to host our wedding reception there next December.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Victoria N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

These folks know how to do business meetings! I had a small gathering (25 people) with a light breakfast & lunch at this property. From the moment I called to inquire/book the meeting to the meeting's conclusion...it went off without a hitch. Even in some of the more pricey hotels, this doesn't always happen.

The room was set up exactly as I had requested and there was plenty of space to move around in the room and yet not so cavernous we felt overwhelmed. Coffee & soft drinks were refreshed throughout the meeting and we barely even noticed the wait staff doing it.

I let the sales person (Amanda VanScoyk) guide me as to the food served and I was not disappointed. I'd rate it 10 out of 10. It was fresh, very appealing and not your "standard fare." I also felt the price was fair and didn't feel they were trying to gouge me. They waived the cost of the meeting room for the number of sleeping rooms we reserved.

Greensboro is a terrific, central location in North Carolina and is served by an airport. We were able to bring people in from Chicago, D.C., and Atlanta easily. The drive into the property is quite impressive and sets a positive tone.

The sleeping rooms were just a tiny bit tired but still comfortable & clean. No complaints.

The restaurant (Di Valletta) was very good. It was nice though to have a choice (golf course grill) for a more casual dinner that night prior to the meeting as we all arrived late, it had been raining & some of us were in no mood for a production. Pool tables were a nice touch; fun to just relax in jeans instead of staying in business attire. Some of our folks found the covered, outdoor area perfect for enjoying a cigar and a cocktail.

The interior of the resort is done very well with multiple places to sit for an impromptu discussion. Lobby bar is great for that too.

We are already planning to switch several meetings to this location in lieu of larger cities. Hotel parking fees of $40, airport congestion, and price are wearing thin on the nerves and the budget.

I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank GypsyAtLast
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

Wonderful event planning, staffing, and facility. Very easy to work with and very thorough! I have been hosting events here for years. Top notch!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

It seems that they put effort into meetings and weddings. The rooms are tired and haven't been renovated in years. There are many items in disrepair. The facility is nice, but it simply hasn't be kept up. The pool has many areas with broken tiles. They only have bellman during specific hours. Trying to get one's bags brought down for an early departure is like an act of congress. The security guard acts as the bellman after hours. He is obviously put off by this duty. He piled my heavy bags on top of my laptop bag and then proceeded to dump my files over while going out the front door. The place has some potential. They must step it up a bit to match their star rating. The facility (albeit rundown) is 3 star, and the services are 3- at best.

Room Tip: high floor golf course view
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank diveray
Oak Ridge, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

I booked this resort on a whim and as a surprise for my husband. I thought it was a bit pricey for the resort being so empty. Just the same everyone we came in contact with was super friendly. The restaurant was not busy, but the food was fresh and delicious. Theirs a courtyard outside the restaurant, my husband and I sat outside and enjoyed the view and the weather, he was able to smoke his cigar with no complains. Our room was partial gold course, but if you ask me, you couldn't tell the difference. We had a great night of food and drinks!

• Stayed August 2011