New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Laurel Point Resort
Urbandale, Iowa
“Great place/exceeded expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

We really enjoyed our stay here. The location is away from the busyness of town, so if you're looking for that, I would especially recommend this location. If you want to be able to walk to locations in Gatlinburg, this place wouldn't be for you. The unit was well-appointed with many modern features (flat screen TV, etc.). Again, you will find more modern features and newer locations, but in Gatlinburg...I really don't think this is important. The only real "negatives" were that the second bedroom has two twin beds, and the bathroom that connects to it (and the living room area) has a very small shower (though it has an unusually large hot tub). Additionally, the staff is very nice but neither the people nor the amenities warrant an "Excellent" rating.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank ccg001

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Western Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

We stayed here the week of Oct. 10th, 2010. The rooms are very nice, the staff is especially accomodating, the view is good, the kitchen is well equipped. "New" in Gatlinburg qualifies as anything built since the Knoxville World's Fair in 1982. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet Laurel Point was built in the mid to late 80's. Gold faucets and room trim and wiring for cable give it away. However, the only negatives I can really give about this resort are 1) the showers and 2) the drive. 1) these showers must have been left over from a failed space-saving experiment! I couldn't turn around in the shower without knocking off the shampoo, soap or something with my elbow! Tiny AND poorly lit! Don't expect to spend a lot of time taking a leisurely shower. 2) The drive down to town is a brake burner, no doubt about it. I put my truck in low gear on the automatic and still had to pump the brakes a couple of times down the hill.....it's incredibly steep. My son honeymooned here in January--I can only imagine what the roads would be like in snow or ice! It's narrow, hairpin curves and steep, but worth it in the end! Hot tub in the room was enormous and there was more than ample hot water for it, washing dishes, etc. Nice place and we would stay there again! No problems!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank FLYBYU
Myrtle Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2009

My husband and I enjoyed the resort. The resort had very informative social on Monday and great giveaways. We had to drive everywhere but that turned out to be a good thing. We visited more places and saw more of the surrounding area than we would have if we had been in town and just walking around.
The only draw back was for my parents who do not handle stairs. The towel exchange and washing machine areas were down quite a few stairs.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank spankyb1954
Staunton, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

My wife and I rented a timeshare from an owner at this resort. We had never stayed at a resort before, but had toured one in Branson so we kind of had an idea. This is an older resort and that was not kept a secret but it is claimed to be well maintained. Although there were some areas where attention was necessary, I would have to agree that it was well maintained for a resort of 30 plus years of age. Upon arrival, we found the front desk clerk very courteous and helpful. Our room was exactly as pictured on the internet. The carpeting was an obviously dated shag which made it difficult to open some of the bi-fold closet doors, however everything about our unit was clean. The unit we were in (301-B) had a very nice balcony with access from both the living room and master bedroom via sliding glass doors. The kitchen was good size and fairly well stocked with most things necessary for cooking. We brought a few specialty cooking items and were glad we did so, but all the basics were there. This place was extremely quiet even though we were staying at the height of tourism season (7/4 thru 7/11). They have a laundry room, recreation room, and fitness room. The indoor pool was nice however it is rough textured and if you have young ones who do more jumping around as opposed to actual swimming, I would recommend bringing or purchasing swimming socks. Our younger ones ended up with some raw spots on their toes. Having never stayed in a resort, we were highly pleased. The amount of space you have is about 4 times what you would expect in a typical hotel suite, perhaps six times the space of a typical hotel room. It was so nice to have a full sized kitchen as well. We saved a great deal of money eating breakfast in as well as some lunches and dinners. To give you an idea, some of our meals included french toast on one day, fried potatoes, sausage, and scrambled eggs on another, baked barbequed pork steaks one night, and grilled steak on another. (there are charcoal grills and one gas grill available outside the pool area) Obviously, meals of this magnitude cannot be accomplished in a simple hotel suite, especially for a family of six. I just can't say enough for the positive experience we had. We are seriously considering buying a timeshare because staying in a hotel just isn't the same anymore. As far as any real concerns we had, the mattresses were extremely firm. Also, driving up and down the mountain daily is kind of hard on your vehicle. The entrance to the resort is right at the crest of a hill, on a blind curve. Those truly are the only complaints I have. I would highly recommend anyone to not hesitate to stay here especially if your only experience is with hotels. If you have stayed at newer, top notch resorts, this one may be lacking for you. However, as stated, this was our first experience and we stayed here for a lot less money than what a hotel would have cost. The only drawback with a resort is that there is no maid service.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank C_and_H_in_Staunton
Kosciusko, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2008

This Resort was very nice. I had my family from Switzerland over and we stayed here, we were all very happy. Was very clean, staff was very friendly.

• Liked — Location very quiet.
  • Disliked — no Answer
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mg170
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gatlinburg
1.8 km away
Oak Square at Gatlinburg
#25 of 55 in Gatlinburg
9.9 km away
Mountain Meadows By Exploria Resorts

Been to Laurel Point Resort? Share your experiences!